Is Iraq the new Vietnam War?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it is so. I just finished watching Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and although it is a magnificent film it also depresses me, as it reminds me of what is going on in Iraq. The Danish population, of which I am one, did not wish for this war but the government did not ask us, and thus we are caught up in this struggle together with the U.S. and the other nations who saddled up for the wrong reasons; the weapons of mass destruction.

FMJ reminded me of Iraq because it is obviously the same kind of conflict; a conflict where no one knows what they are fighting for (although the Bush government is fighting for oil; they just hoped no one noticed) Oh yes, there are ideas that the U.S., as usual, are the saviors who wish to enlighten people with democracy even though they have to kill a lot of innocents in order to make people see the light.

The U.S. never got control of what was happening in Vietnam (yes, they lost that war), and they still have no control of what is happening in Iraq. Just as in Vietnam, we have half a people who did not wish to be saved, and there are suicide bombers who are able to strike where ever they wish, just as in Vietnam.

The war in Iraq will last at least ten to twenty years more. The "allies" can not leave, since if they do, it will be a national disaster, civil war with the most horrific consequences ever seen. I try not to think much about it in my everyday life, but it makes me sad when I do.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. Every single Iraqui is a potential "Charlie."

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately Canada does not have an evil dictator, so there is no excuse.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
No.

There is/was only one Vietnem, just as there is/was only one WWII.

And we are hardly engaged in an attempt to prop up a long-standing and corrupt regime, nor are we fighting against an overwhelming majority of the people in Iraq who had been repressed by that regime, nor is our engagment with the insurgents taking place in primarily rural/jungle areas. For starters.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
No.

And we are hardly engaged in an attempt to prop up a long-standing and corrupt regime, nor are we fighting against an overwhelming majority of the people in Iraq who had been repressed by that regime, nor is our engagment with the insurgents taking place in primarily rural/jungle areas. For starters.

If there had been a lot of trees in Iraq, they would have been erased by flammable liqids by now, I believe.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a Vietnam War historian, specializing in the events leading up to and the mistakes of the aggression over North Vietnam (it could not officially be a war or we would have started WWIII).

The Parallels are absolutely astonishing. The only significance is that Vietnam was Democrat action and Iraq is Republican.
Soon we will begin hearing the smart words like de-escalating aggression, humanitarian cease-fire for peace talks, and declaring successful goals met as we re-Iraq the native Military which is already in progress.

If McNamara resigned sooner, Vietnam would have ended 2 years and 20,000 bodies sooner. Rumsfeld just saved thousands of lives stepping aside, you watch. Unfortunately the saving of American lives was not his motivation for stepping aside. It was pure politics. Had Johnson committed to running for re-election, McNamara would have been out. But Johnson stayed with his sinking ship until the last rat climbed to the crows-nest with the others.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
With ten years in power, he probably wasn't that bad.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
robeiae said:

Any attempts to compare Iraq to any previous military failure will be dismissed on the grounds that the sand is different and the air has a differnt scent. Besides, the US military never wore those new pixelated cammies until Iraq, so that right there makes it different. We wore tigerstriped cammies and plain olivedrab fatigues in vietnam, which rules out any apples to apples comparison.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Any attempts to compare Iraq to any previous military failure will be dismissed on the grounds that the sand is different and the air has a differnt scent. Besides, the US military never wore those new pixelated cammies until Iraq, so that right there makes it different. We wore tigerstriped cammies and plain olivedrab fatigues in vietnam, which rules out any apples to apples comparison.

Be careful, Greg; You might be accused of being a "liberal". :D.

I know, I'm careful.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
greglondon said:
Depends on who you're talking to.

Why not just deal with Iraq for what it is, regardless of your ideological orientation? I don't get it.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Depends on who you're talking to.

Why not just deal with Iraq for what it is, regardless of your ideological orientation? I don't get it.

What do you believe it is then?

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Ummm...a place that the U.S. invaded and is now engaged with resistance to it's occupation?

How soon do you think the country will be stable again, as in society is back to normal without dozens of people getting killed every day?

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
robeiae said:

Because if you insist that
"Iraq is like nothing we've ever seen before"
you insist that we could not have predicted the quagmire we're in now.
If it is completely without precedent, there is no historical comparison
to be made that would explain why we are where we are,
which is knee deep in a quagmire.

And that's hogwash.
The generals knew exactly how this would turn out,
and it's turning out exactly like the generals predicted.
Therefore, there is historical precedence that we can take
the lessons of the past and apply them to the current situation.

We are three years into something that might turn out to be
our new vietnam. If we get full blown civil war, that's it,
it's the north invading Saigon, and an evacuation of troops.
The death tolls will be comparable. The helicopters evacuating
the embassy will be ch53's and uh-60's instead of the old hueys,
but the lessons will be the same.

Iraq is exactly like what we've seen before.
The differences are surface differences.
Sun Tzu still applies.
There are no surprises in the current trajectory of Iraq.
Except for those who only remember the surface
of history, rather than it's deeper lessons.

You can only predict based on what you've seen before,
and the patterns you've extracted from those observations.
That is basic scientific principle, scientific method.

If you say there are no comparable observations to Iraq,
then you're looking at surface differnces, not deeper patterns.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
except, of course, that Canada has more oil than Iraq.

but why confuse the issues with facts?

An aside, but let's not confuse facts, either. Canada has more hydrocarbon resources in the ground than does Iraq (or anywhere else, probably). Problem is, the vast bulk of it is in tar sands, which are presently problematical to extract, and not viable economically. Regards conventionally produceable oil, Iraq is considered somewhere between 2nd and 4th among nations in the world, depending on whose figures you see, behind Saudi Arabia, and possibly Iran and Kuwait.

caw

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
greglondon said:
Because if you insist that
"Iraq is like nothing we've ever seen before"...
Greg's putting words in my mouth again. What shocker.

If I disagree with the statement "Iraq is the new Vietnam War," it does not logically follow that I accept the statement "Iraq is like nothing we've ever seen before."

Very poor reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.