New to the submission (and rejection :-() scene...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
So, I sent out my first real submission (that wasn't a competition) and got my first rejection... *sigh*

Thank you for submitting your work to [Magazine]. We enjoyed reading it but regret that we cannot use it at this time.

We wish you the best of luck in placing your work elsewhere and sincerely hope that you will submit other writing to us in the future.

Typical form letter, right?

I'm wondering whether I should send them some more work and if I should, how long to wait?

But, on the positive side -I figure, this was my first submission and at least they read (?) the stuff and didn't just shuck it because I'd messed up the query. I still feel sort of bad through because I recognize that this is mostly my fault. I'd read some of the earlier submissions and knew they were't exactly like mine, but I figured -at least I could try, maybe they're in mood for something different...
Apparently not...

//End venting...

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yep that's a form rejection but if you have more material to send, and you genuinely think it fits with the style of the publication, you absolutely should send them some more... and right now!

Some publications don't even bother sending form rejections.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Thanks. So should I mention that I've submitted before and that this is work that I thought might fit their publication better?

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I don't think it hurts to, but I wouldn't bother... as we have already established that it is a form rejection.

It is always good to mention you have actually looked at the publication and you think your work fits in with their style.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congratulations on putting yourself out there, Riv. That's the bravest part of the game over with. Just keep doing it and you will be fine.

Sorry to hear about the rejection.

Sidenote: I was so determined to get into one publication that I submitted 4 times before being accepted. Just read the guidelines first...some places say not to submit more than once within a set timeframe. Otherwise, they are game for more submissions.

Good luck in all you do!

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck if you decide to try again with this publication, or if you decide to take their advice and try to "place your work elsewhere"!:)

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Thanks guys, I'm looking for more markets right now, but damn it's hard finding places that accept 1)poems 2)e-mail and 3)pay you for it...
Oh well, shame on he who giveth up.
:)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Riv...go to www.placesforwriters.com

They update daily down the middle of their page. You can also click on the link for Journals and publications on the side. The list is TREMENDOUS!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh, and on the page that lists the various publications...they have in brackets whether they pay and they also say whether or not they accept email. It's a fantastic resource.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm looking for more markets right now, but damn it's hard finding places that accept 1)poems 2)e-mail and 3)pay you for it..

You're not going to make anything but a few bucks on submitting poetry--even if it makes it into prestigious journals/reviews. It's a fact of life; they don't pay. You've got to do it for love. Also, many still require hard copy subs.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey Sass,

Not necessarily true. I've made well over $1000 this year alone on poetry. Not a lot, true...not worth submitting like crazy. With poetry, contests are the best way to make money, but you can get $30-$40 for a poem in a lot of markets.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Thanks again friends. Those places seem great and I've never even heard of them! Super!:Hug2:
Love you!

Oh and Sass<< Thanks, I know it's not the 'make a living' sort of deal to write poetry, not even writing short-stories or novels makes you enough most of the time. I just figure that if I'm going to submit anywhere and obey all these silly guidelines then at least I should have the possibility of being payed to look forward to.

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Kudos on submitting, Rivana. I am sure you will be sharing good news with us soon. :)

KTC, thanks a ton for the Places for Writers link. That is so useful!

Sury

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Look at it this way, Rivana, rejection is what happens when we challenge ourselves and reach for higher goals. You'll know it's time to move to the next level when you no longer aren't getting rejected as much.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, getting out there and doing it - rejections are just part of the game, but at least you're playing the game! :)

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Rivana,

How are ya? Best of luck with submitting, I am sure some acceptances will come your way in the near future!

And I just recall that I have been procrastinating all this while on replying to your email. Will get back to you soon!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
The first rejection stings...

When I was in fourth grade or so, I sent my story, which I just thought was fabulous, to a magazine that published work by children. (My story was about a girl who got turned into a squirrel...) Anyway, it came back with a rejection and I was crushed. I thought I sucked as a writer. I didn't even want to write anymore. I believed that everyone, including the teachers, were lying when they said I was a good writer. Who knows? Maybe they did. That's not the point of the story however. Now I am in ninth grade and I have a short story being published in a magazine. This is my first real professional publication. So the point is, you are probably going to send out a few stories at the least before you become published. Just keep working at it. It'll happen for you if you keep writing, keep learning, and keep submitting.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
spidergal<<< Hey you. It's quite all right, procrastination and I are old pals, bosom buddies even. I think the longest time I ever took to answering a mail was like...9 months? Yeah, I'm a horrible person deep down, I really am. Thanks, I could use the luck. What I could use even more? Not having to sleep, at all, ever. :D

meggy<<< I submitted poetry, but otherwise, sure thing. Thanks for trying to make me feel better and don't worry -I'm not giving up on submitting. I'll be sending out short-stories too, once any of them get finished. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.