Should action scenes be described in great detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

I've got several battle scenes in which I focus on the main and 1 or 2 secondary characters. How detailed should the narrative be? Just enough to get my point across or describing some of the moves that the enemy and friendlies make? Or, leave the minute details up to the director?

SimonSays

Here's another question - where you will get lots of conflicting answers - but here's the lowdown:

You should have as much description as you need to paint an overall picture of the scene and whatever you feel you need to get across what the principal characters are doing. If you see your main character using a particular weapon and/or attacking or being attacked in a certain way - include it. The final choice is in the director's, stunt coordinator's and prop master's hands - but you are trying to create a mood.

You should try to write the scene or sequence in such a way that you create a visceral reaction in the reader. So a battle scene should reflect the chaos, violence etc. of that moment.

Action sequences by nature contain more description than other types of scenes.

If your scene has a lot of descriptions, then make sure you use lots of short paragraphs - no long blocks of text.

joecalabre

I agree with Simon on all comments.

I would download several scripts from the genre and see how others have done it. Last Samurai, Gladiator, Braveheart, LOTR, etc... Those guys (and gals) did them and did them well.

kojled

fj/g

tough one. very difficult to know. depends. glad i could help

zilla

Status
Not open for further replies.