It's about to get Ugly for The Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/11/abramoff_report.html

EXCLUSIVE: Abramoff Reveals Info on 6 to 8 'Seriously Corrupt' Democratic Senators

Convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff is scheduled to report to federal prison tomorrow, over the objections of federal prosecutors who say they still need his help to pursue leads on officials he allegedly bribed.

Sources close to the investigation say Abramoff has provided information on his dealings with and campaign contributions and gifts to "dozens of members of Congress and staff," including what Abramoff has reportedly described as "six to eight seriously corrupt Democratic senators."

And separate from this....I'm glad to see Nandy Pelosi already doing this to help the democrats rise above the corrupt Republicans and drain the swamp...such as....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/13/politics/main2174898.shtml

Rep. Jack Murtha, the 74-year-old Vietnam War veteran who stepped into the spotlight last year with his criticism of the war in Iraq, has picked up a major endorsement in his quest for a powerful leadership position on Capitol Hill.

In a letter made public late Sunday, soon-to-be Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi backed Murtha – a longtime ally – for House Majority Leader, a post also sought by Rep. Steny Hoyer, who has been a rival of Pelosi's.

"Your presence in the leadership of our party would add a knowledgeable and respected voice to our Democratic team,"

..but, and I didn't even know about this....from the NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/13/w...0869531e&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

But Mr. Murtha is also coming under the spotlight on another subject that dominated the campaign: Congressional ethics. Mr. Murtha helped block ethics changes that Democrats had proposed last year. He has been an astute backroom dealmaker known for trading votes for the pet projects known as earmarks. He has had family members who lobbied on issues under his control, and he was caught up in the Abscam scandal more than 25 years ago, though he was never charged.

Yeah. Way to drain the swamp!

"Abscam, Jerry! Abscam!"
Kramer

Way to go, Pelosi. Way to get off to the right start.

Reaction score
Murtha's Abscam Tape.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2131539854655700584&q=abscam+murtha+video&hl=en

Anderson characterized the Pennsylvania Democrat's interaction with the FBI as "perhaps the saddest scene on the secret Abscam videotapes. ... He refused to take the money, but his reason was hardly noble."

"I want to deal with you guys awhile before I make any transactions at all, period," Murtha explained. "After we've done some business, well, then I might change my mind. ... I'm going to tell you this. If anybody can do it – I'm not B.S.-ing you fellows – I can get it done my way. There's no question about it."

Murtha went from boasting about his ability to get things done in Congress to explaining his hesitation about taking money.

"All at once, some dumb [expletive deleted] would go start talking eight years from now about this whole thing and say [expletive deleted], this happened," Murtha says, according to the transcript. "Then in order to get immunity so he doesn't go to jail, he starts talking and fingering people. So the [S.O.B.] falls apart."

The FBI undercover officer then suggests: "You give us the banks where you want the money deposited."

"All right," agreed Murtha. "How much money we talking about?"

"Well, you tell me," says the FBI undercover operative.

"Well, let me find out what is a reasonable figure that will get their attention," said Murtha, "because there are a couple of banks that have really done me some favors in the past, and I'd like to put some money in."

Yep. This is the guy you want as majority leader. Not to mention what the NY Times says about all his other dealings.

He's the democratic Duke Cunningham.

Oh well.

You're in charge. Do what you will.

Good luck.
:)

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Good.

I hope they're ashamed enough to pass meaningful ethics reforms. Wouldn't that be novel?

Reaction score
Maybe it's because my ethics are of the highest standard, but it still boggles my mind that our politicians are so corrupt.

After all the scandals we've had, I just can't believe that someone is in a room and says "if you do this, I'll give you money" and they go ahead and do it.

What are they thinking?!

Maybe it's soooo prevalent, like steroids in baseball was, that they don't even give it much thought.

"Everyone is doing it and it rarely comes back to bite ya and it's a risk most of us are willing to take."

It's truly unbelievable that in this day and age, we still have these corrupt humps in Washington.

I want lie detector tests bi-monthly for these guys for their entire terms.

And when I'm President, feel free to lie detect me on ethical issues every day of the week.

Thank you.

Reaction score
I've never in all my years of messageboarding seen someone contradict his own self serving statements and proclamations about "fairness and cherry picking and facts" so frequently and triumphantly as you do, Greg.

It's truly a site to beyold.

It's gotta be a goof. You don't even try to live up to the standards you bloviate about.

Yeah. It must be a goof.

Friggin, London. You got me! I admit it.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
It's truly a site to beyold.

Either I'm very drunk [quite possible] or Billy is talking phonetic Cockney in the Dick Van Dyke mode.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Wiki:Congressman John Murtha (D-PA) was not indicted or prosecuted. The FBI videotaped Murtha as saying, "I'm not interested...at this point. [If] we do business for a while, maybe I'll be interested, maybe I won't." to $50,000 cash right after Murtha had offered to provide names of businesses and banks in his district where money could be legally invested.

From her bio: Since 1987, Nancy Pelosi has represented California's Eighth District in the House of Representatives.

The investigation started in 1978.

So is your point there are long time crooks in the US government? We know that. I'd like to see them all disappear. Have any suggestions?

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
What's the matter, Billy? I don't think its going to get "Ugly" for the Democrats. Drain a swamp? Doubt it. Maybe sump pump a basement. Any cheats they catch is a good thing, but as of this moment, I don't seeing it getting anywhere near as "ugly" as it did for the neoconchickenhawks this election day.

The number of bad decisions made by republicans recently is massive compared to whatever piddling thing your dirty boy abromoff tries to finger.

That isn't cherry picking. That's keeping a sense of scale.

Reaction score
greglondon said:
That isn't cherry picking. That's keeping a sense of scale.

Hey, I guess I just hold myself to higher standards than you do.

I don't care if they're Republican or Democrat. I have no patience for corruption and scandal.

If I were a democrat and heard that 6-8 Democratic Senators were "seriously corrupt" from the man at the center of the corruption scandal, I'd be keen to hear what and who and ready to take their heads off if it turned out to be something.

But, I don't cherry pick when it comes to corruption or put things on a scale.

And if I did, because I'm a fair man, I'd realize that 6-8 Democratic Senators being "seriously corrupt" IS OF HUGE MAGNITUDE.

Just as it would be for Republicans.

Just snooze the whole thing away, greg, but I know you're kidding and I trust you because you've shown yourself to be nothing but a fair man who calls it like he sees it, fair and balanced across the board.

That's why I like you. We need more non-ideologues on the messageboards of America.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
billythrilly7th said:
Hey, I guess I just hold myself to higher standards than you do.

Oh, I highly doubt that.

billythrilly7th said:
If I were a democrat and heard that 6-8 Democratic Senators were "seriously corrupt" from the man at the center of the corruption scandal, I'd be keen to hear what and who and ready to take their heads off if it turned out to be something.

Oh, I hope any investigation into corruption is carried out to its fullest. I was just falling asleep up there because you said things were about to get Ugly for the Entire Democratic Party, so, I clicked in and was underwhelmed. An investigation from 1978 where no charges were filed, and a convicted republican who claims he has a list of communists/cheats/whatever in the United States, well, that isn't exactly on the same sense of scale.

Ya know?

I was expecting something slightly more ugly. That's all. You give me these big headlines, but the meat of your post is, well, it's underwhelming compared to the expectation you set up. Consider it feedback on your writing. Nice hook, but the story needs a little more 'oomph'.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I don't care if they're Republican or Democrat. I have no patience for corruption and scandal.

Then why don't you beat both horses equally? They're both losers.

If you're referring to Jack A. He's a thief. Why should we believe he's not a liar as well? They go together.

But, I don't cherry pick when it comes to corruption or put things on a scale.

And if I did, because I'm a fair man, I'd realize that 6-8 Democratic Senators being "seriously corrupt" IS OF HUGE MAGNITUDE.

Just as it would be for Republicans.

Just snooze the whole thing away, greg, but I know you're kidding and I trust you because you've shown yourself to be nothing but a fair man who calls it like he sees it, fair and balanced across the board.

That's why I like you. We need more non-ideologues on the messageboards of America.

The point is, you keep your friends close - your enemies closer. How are you going to catch someone if you push them away? Keep em close where you can keep an eye on them. That's my philosophy. YMMV

Reaction score
greglondon said:
I was expecting something slightly more ugly. That's all. You give me these big headlines, but the meat of your post is, well, it's underwhelming compared to the expectation you set up. Consider it feedback on your writing. Nice hook, but the story needs a little more 'oomph'.

Fair enough. Glad to see you on board for full investigation.

I don't how how much more ugly it can get than 6-8(six to EIGHT) corrupt democratic senators, some of who may resign bringing on new elections.

Maybe if I'd heard that Pelosi or Reid killed some people and hid them in their freezers that's the ugly you're looking for.

And I often am ahead of the stories so what may seem like a zzzzzz right now, often turns into a "Hey, you were right, Billy."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

"The suspense is killing me. I hope it lasts."
Willy Wonka

P.S. "Murtha is the man! The Democrats: Bringing ethics back to D.C.!"

Abscam. The man was in Abscam and known to be one of the biggest backroom wheeler dealers in Washington.

Please tell me you have someone better, my democratic friends. Please tell me you won't let this stand.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
billythrilly7th said:
I don't how how much more ugly it can get than 6-8(six to EIGHT) corrupt democratic senators, some of who may resign bringing on new elections.

Billy, some convict saying he can name 8 other crooks is a non-event. When the feds announce they're investigating 8 people for corruption, that's something different. When the courts announce 8 convictions, that's something else entirely.

All this is, is a lot of hot air right now. It aint ugly. It aint even "at least she has a nice personality". All you got right now is some girl who turned you down, and now you're trash talking her about how you didn't want to go out with her anyway.

Reaction score
And I know you're right about all that that because you post from a non-biased perspective, greg, And that if the report came out about the 6-8 "serioulsy corrupt" Republican senators who Abramoff was giving info to the feds on, you'd sit back with the same non-judgemental air about you. "Haha! It's nothing yet!"

That's why I like you.

You post from a place of the non-biased center.

God bless ya, sir.

I don't know how you do it. But you do.

And you should be commended.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
billythrilly7th said:
You post from a place of the non-biased center.

God bless ya, sir.

I don't know how you do it. But you do.

And you should be commended.

Billy, I don't know how to make it any more plain to you. I saw your headline and was expecting to read something that was coyote ugly. All you've got is some convict talking trash, and that aint' coyote ugly.

That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, go ahead and investigate. But I'm not chewing my arm off from the Democratic party for something investigated back in '78 and some guy who has a secret list.

Reaction score
I understand that. It might be nothing, greg.

I just find it hard to believe, and maybe IT IS ME, because of the level of non-biased commentary you've shown so far, that if this were reversed you'd be so non-chalant about it...

"Ohhhhhhh....let's not jump to conclusions. So far, this isn't much. Let's wait and see. La dee da dee da..Whistle while you work whwhwhwwhwhw whwh wu wha!"

Reaction score
greglondon said:
All you've got is some convict talking trash, and that aint' coyote ugly.

You may be right, but it might be or at best, not the start that the democrats wanted to get off to.

Jeez. It's been one week and they already might lose the Senate power they just gained if the Feds actually have something on SIX to EIGHT demcoratic Senators.

Not.good.start

Eeesh.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
English Dave said:
Either I'm very drunk [quite possible] or Billy is talking phonetic Cockney in the Dick Van Dyke mode.

Crikey, Guv'ner! Och ain't nay known neithing neither aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.