question about writing for tv shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinoXV

(okay, Simon, I know this is a poor source. But I have you to go over any said and comment on the quality. LOL)

If I were hypothetically interested in writing for television, would I just write a sample episode and mail them to that television show/studio.

Writing Again

First find out if they even look at unsolicited ms. I'm led to believe some do, but Cheers threw all of them into a dumpster unread, and filled a dumpster a week. I know this from reading an interview of one of the producers.

I once read an article, "How to write for television, create your own show," that told about a person who had unsuccessfully submitted to TV for years, then created their own pilot which became a series.

You might want to look into the creator of Babylon 5 and read about his decade, or longer, efforts to get that show into production.

Television is scary.

JustinoXV

That doesn't answer my question.

Perhaps I should clarify. (Since I won't get a chance to go to the bookstore until this weekend).

Do writers for television typically send sample episodes over to tv shows that they would like to write for? Is that how people typically get tv show gigs?

Individual shows may have different policies. I'm not so much interested in Cheers (defunct) or Babylon 5, but in the overall tv market.

joecalabre

I submitted once to Star Trek DS9 because they frequently accept unsolicited scripts. Different companies have different policies. You can contact the specific show you are interested in and ask if they do. If so, many have a character and story "bible" they send out to writers which lay down the rules for their shows "What a character can or cannot do, timelines, etc..."

SimonSays

Okay Justino here's the straight dope.

The chances of you selling a spec tv script are somewhere in the neighborhood of zero. TV series all have staff writers - and each episode of a show for any given season is often (not always) part of an ongoing story arc that plays out throughout the season. At the beginning of season, the producers generally know what the overall arc will be (i.e. last season on Friends - Monica & Chandler's baby arc). Most episodes deal with these ongoing arcs in some way. As an outsider, you are not privy to the overall arc.

Sometimes a series will contract with a non-staff writer to write an episode and this is where the spec comes into play.

TV specs are basically show scripts - they show your ability. If you write a spec for Everybody Loves Raymond - the chances of selling that script to Everybody Loves Raymond are basically non existent - but if your write a good spec for Everybody Loves Raymond, the producers of Joey may let you pitch them an idea. And they might hire you to write an epidsode of Joey - which could lead to other assignment jobs - which could lead to a staff position.

You should pick shows that have been on long enough for you to have a good understanding of the characters, tone, etc. But no shows that are too old. You also don't want to pick shows that are too hot. Because everyone is writing specs for the hotter shows and producers get tired of reading them. For example a couple years ago everybody had a South Park spec.

It is best to have a couple of show scripts (two or three) you need to really analyze the shows, to see how many scenes they have, how long the scenes are, etc. Each show has its own rhythm. Seinfeld had 15 or 20 short scenes per ep. others have 8 or 9.

There are also different screenplay formats for drama, comedy shot on tape, comedy shot on film, etc. For example sitcoms shot on tape are doublespaced and descriptions are all caps - most of the screenplay formatting software have different templates for different types or in some cases specific shows.

TV producers are even more resistant than film producers to accept unsolicted manuscripts - partly because they have a staff of writers so they don't need outside writers, but mostly because with the amount of story ideas they need (more than 20 each season) there is too great a chance that someone will submit a story idea similar to one that ends up being used and then they have to deal with possible lawsuits.

So an agent is really a necessity when seeking television work.

There may be some shows - maybe some cable shows or whatever that will accept unsolicited scripts - but what I described above is the way things work in TV.

As for creating your own pilot - it may happen as a fluke once in a blue moon - but generally speaking it is not worth the time or energy to try. Networks and major Prod co's want experienced writers as show runners and producers. The demands of a weekly series are such that it is too big a gamble to give someone who is unproven a shot. If you know an experienced staff writer or producer you could team up with that's one thing. But no one is going to take a series pitch meeting with someone who has no experience in TV.

dchapma123

To continue with what SimonSays had to say, you should NOT submit a spec episode script to the series that you wrote it for. If you write an "Alias" script, absolutely do not send it to the producers of "Alias". They definitely won't read it. On top of that, it's considered bad manners -- it's like you think you can do a better job of writing their show than they can.

In general, try to find good shows in the genre you're interested in and write those. I've heard it's better to choose "well-written" shows--whether they have high ratings or not--because TV shows are controlled by the writers, and writers appreciate good writing.

Good luck finding well-written shows that are still on the air. Bring back the narrative!

NikeeGoddess

then enter your tv episodes in a couple of contests for tv scripts. if you place high then you could get an agent interested. an agent is a must to get a writing job in tv.

write on!

joecalabre

Slamdance has one www.slamdance.com/teleplay/ details look pretty good.

fThe blind script prize will be equal to the Writers Guild of America’s scale fee for either a half-hour or hour original pilot or the first episode of a mini-series. The approximate fees are $30,000 for a half-hour series pilot and $45,000 for an hour series pilot.

DEADLINE is TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.