NEW Writer's market!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the boards --

Has anyone seen the new Writer's Market online? I have lost every notation of submission on every MS I have entered! My "notes" are still there, but there is no date of submission, no date of acceptance or rejection...I have lost all record of what publisher/agent I have submitted to and which ones I have not.

Has anyone else seen this or had this problem? I am absolutey stunned. I've sent an email to WM, and hope like hell this can be fixed somehow.

And, Hi.
Sorry to start off like this.
~ T

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still old-school and like to buy the hard copy. I love the smell of the pages...I know, I'm weird like that.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Josh! I hope you find the answer to this and many other important questions on the next episode of AW Cooler.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joshua. Welcome to AW. I haven't had anything to do with Writers Market, so can't help you, but I'm sure someone here will respond.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Hey Josh,

Welcome to the cooler. Bummer about the WM thing. I was always paranoid about something like that happening, that I'd forget to renew my subscription or something and would never be able to access my submissions and such.

Hope it works out for ya soon.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh my gosh. I haven't logged on to WM in a while... this prompted me to, and yep! All my dates are gone. Not tragic for me because it's been a long time since I've recorded anything there, but still uncool. I hope this is a temporary problem and they'll put back the data if they hear complaints about it!

I'm going to move this over to the AW Roundtable board, I think... Newbies is meant to just be a place for introductions.

(And hi, by the way!)

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, I'm glad to be here. I've been poring over the boards for two days now. It sounds like a good group.

No response yet from WM about my problem. I've started an Excel sheet, trying to figure who got sent what, when. WM tracked when you sent a query, an MS, when you got a response, and left a space for your own notes. My notes are safe and sound, the dates are not. So I'm using notes, and email and snail rejections to piece together who I've sent to already.

Which brings me to the next point - armed with a legitmate excuse, should I re-query some of the agents/publishers on my list with my brand-new shiny query that is much better than the old one? I've read elsewhere on the boards that it's okay provided I change the title.
Thanks, everyone!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I didn't think about it when they sent me the e-mail. BUt yep. All my dates are gone. Yes they have a glitzy new look, but they used to have it arranged in such a way that it was useful to writers. Now it looks like they're making it useful for dilettantes.

I want my Submission Tracker back. I want my dates.
Yes, I foolishly stopped using a paper record and I stopped putting the stuff on my spread sheet as soon as I discovered WM on line. I always figured I'd print out the tracker when I decided to let my subscription run out.

So, anyway, I e-mailed them and ranted.
Now I have to go home and sort through piles of submission notes, rejection slips, et al just to figure out who had what and when they rejected it.

Grumble grumble

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
Yup. I didn't think about it when they sent me the e-mail. BUt yep. All my dates are gone. Yes they have a glitzy new look, but they used to have it arranged in such a way that it was useful to writers. Now it looks like they're making it useful for dilettantes.

Well, I am sorry you're having the same experience, but I am relieved to know I'm not the only one who a) used the online edition and b) feels a little peeved at the new site. I only hope others who use it are flooding their email with complaints, and that they somehow backed up all that data before making the switch.

Thanks for sharing - misey loves and all that cal.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

I hate the new market. Usually, updates like that are for INCREASED useablility and functionality. But they lost big time. It's awful, and the submission tracker stinks. Like you said...all the dates and notations disappeared.

Let's hope they're not done with it yet and that they'll have it back before long.

BTW, it looks like they're getting ready to add a board.

Also, did you notice they don't have any 'feedback' buttons? It's like they're trying to get rid of subscribers. hmmmm.

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score
I did notice there were no feedback buttons in fact, and I also noticed there were no phone numbers, at least not that I could find.

Here's to hoping they can fix it...

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
They made a big deal about the change, but it was only a “Face-lift” same old mostly outdated information and a serious lack of filters when searching. You can pull up the name of a lot of agents only to discover that many of them don’t accept unpublished authors.

One amusing joke. A publisher they list: “Atlas Variety Publishing” a new publisher that promises to soon have books printed, hasn’t updated it’s website in well over two years. Obviously they’ve moved on to some other line of work and it’s just an orphan site. But Writer’s market hasn’t caught onto it yet.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
In all fairness, Writer's Market relies on the publishers and agents to update their information. So you use the 'only recently updated' filter.

But what ticks me off is that it wasn't even a face lift. They actually took away a lot of the functionality...well, on the part of their submission tracker anyway.

Does anyone know of an alternative to Writer's Market.com? My subscription ends this month and I'm questioning whether or not to renew.

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score
Update on WM woes

Okay, the e-mails to Writer's Market paid off somewhat. I was emailed an excel document containing all of my information, and was assured (and proven by the document) that they did back up all the information before the face-lift. I was also asked if I wanted to answer some questions on the phone or over email about further updates to the site, to which I said yes. It sounds as though they are going to be fixing at least some of the problems with the new layout.

So they've regained my trust for the moment. It sounds like not everyone used the tracking features like I did, and I certainly won't be relying on theirs from now on even if the features are updated. At least they were responsive and didn't lose all the information.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
All this got me thinking. Why don't I put together my own submission tracker? I started with the website www.mymanuscripts.com.

Anyone want to collaborate (does anyone know how to code?) I'm going with PHP and MySQL. right now I've got a form to fill in publisher info at http://mymanuscripts.com/test1.php. There's a lot of work to do still.

I want to make it so that all the info a user puts in there can be easily downloaded into an excell file...maybe even make the excell file easy to use and change by the users.

Once I get it all together, I'll offer it as a free tool for any writer who signs up. If anyone wants to help, that would be really cool.

Also, if anyone can think of anything that writersmarket was missing (I've got all kinds of ideas bouncing in my head right now) then why don't you post them here and we'll make this thing something that we would all like.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I've developed my own submission tracker, using the time-tested technology of paper and pen. Unless one is making dozens of submissions, it works fine.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully they'll put it back; I use an offline spreadsheet though, for just that reason. Only trust online storage as a backup.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Yeah, I didn't trust them for the same reason. Mostly, I was worried that my subscription would expire, I wouldn't want to renew and I'd lose my submissions. That's pretty much what happened. Except that I had my submission info on my computer.

Of course, now if I lose it, it'll be my fault.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I've developed my own submission tracker, using the time-tested technology of paper and pen. Unless one is making dozens of submissions, it works fine.

Great minds must think alike. I started to feel stupid reading this thread and everyone talking about their technologically savvy submission tracker system. Then I looked over at my desk and saw my small notebook and pen. My method? I write down three things: The publication I'm sending to, the title of the piece and the date of submission.

Is that too archaic?

Status
Not open for further replies.