Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
My beloved shepherd passed away from Lymphnoma at 3ys. old this past spring.
My husband and teen drug me off (JULY)to the local animal shelter...sigh...wasn't ready and I knew I would end up being the primary caregiver. Already have a cat, senior dog plus a 6 yr. old newt that they brought home from the pet store and abandoned to my care. I have banned them from all pet stores.
At the pound, husband and teen go to the front row and pick out the cutest pound puppy while I wander around. Keep passing this one cattle dog mix(not a beauty) about 8 months old and everytime I pass she crawls over to the kennel gate and and slowly thumps her tail. I can see she is weak and sick. 3rd time around I ask to see her...big mistake... I fall in love. They get the cute little pageant pup(Lady) and I take , what they call the hyena, from Lion King. Her name is Georgia. She's weak, can't stand more than a minute... and is scheduled to be put to sleep in less than 2 hours. She wins and I get her prompt attention from the vet.
With a lot of TLC Georgia has blossomed. But...she has ate my wood, tried to eat my washer, does eat rocks, destroys a new toy in record setting time. They are inside dogs. Outside in pretty weather during the day.
I came home last night, and my neighbor called and told me he walked over to see Georgia in the back yard. He didn't go in but talked gently to her over the gate..She hunkered down, head lowered and kept peeing on herself. She would'nt leave. He thinks she's been abused by a man. This made me so sick. My husband returned from out of town and I guess she couldn't recognize him and she did the same...I've given up scolding her...not that I really did. Any good books on this subject?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think Temple grandin has a good description in her book Animals in Translation (which covers a lot of other things). Fear memories are very deep in the brain and will tend to resurface from time to time when the fear sight appears (perhaps a man standing over her). But with time and patience her response will occur less often and be less severe.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a dog you may never be able to scold.
rats. conversationist interruptus.
good luck.bbl.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
[This sounds like a dog you may never be able to scold.
rats. conversationist interruptus.] I fear so... I think I am in for a long fight, in battling her past demons. I hope my family can be patient with her. Otherwise they may have to move out..;)

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I had a beagle when I was a teenager and he had been abused as a pup. He was a stray that we took in. He came running down the railroad track with a rope tied around his neck and my brother called to him. He ran up to him, but with his tail between his legs and almost crawling on his belly.

We placed an ad to see if we could find the owner but no one claimed him.

He was so timid for a very long time. Eventually he came out of it and was just fine.

Also, the dog I have now was hurt when someone broke into our house a few years ago. we don't know what exactly happened to her, but she was sore and she was scared to death. She'd yelp if we tried to pet her and it took forever to get her to come out from under the bed.

For about a month she would hunker down and whimper if we raised a hand to pet her. It was really pitiful. She did come out of it, too.

I think that in time a dog can learn to trust the people they are around once they know they are never going to hurt them.

It makes me sick to think about it. Abuse of animals comes in so many forms. I've seen dogs in little yards chained up with hardly any room to even walk around the tree. My boys and I gave a hamburger and some water to a little pup who was chained too far from his food and water bowls. They wre empty anyway. Some people have no regard for animals and that is so sad.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I think Temple grandin has a good description in her book Animals in Translation (which covers a lot of other things). Fear memories are very deep in the brain [and will tend to resurface from time to time when the fear sight appears (perhaps a man standing over her)]. But with time and patience her response will occur less often and be less severe.
This makes total sense. I am going to have my neighbor come over and approach her at her level, bending down, before talking to her. Sort of desensitizing...Thanks veinglory

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Kimmi, I am so pleased to hear you got this dog - she has been through hell and now has an angel - you - to care for her. I wish you the best of luck with her. Our little Typpee the Three Legged was abused, but is now a better-adjusted member of our family. Our Coco also exhibited similar behaviour to your Georgia, but in the 2 years we have had her has almost completely abandoned the cowering/peeing. And Animals in Translation is a terrific book. Good luck to you.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Aw big hugs to you for taking in that poor thing.

I agree with the others they will gain trust, especially if she is still young. However some dogs will pee when they meet certain people. In dog language she is telling them that she is submissive and no threat - this behaviour may diminish the more self confidence she gets.

As to the chewing, some breeds have a long puppy hood (I don't know about the Cattle dogs) and they will do this for a while - especially if they are frustrated or bored, but I have a sneaking suspicion that cattle dogs are high energy (like border collies) so you may have to make sure that she has lots of exercise or play time so she doesn't try to "entertain" herself.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I don't know of any good books, but I do have a few suggestion:

1. Use treats. Lots of treats. Whether it be a big can of tuna, a nice juicy steak, or her favorite, er, rock. Reward her often, then pass the treats over to the man of the house. The treats should be tempting enough for her to gain some trust back. Also, keep it in one room and be sure her kennel is closed.

2. Don't force it on her, that could freak her out even more. Slow and steady sets the pace.

3. Encourage her to sleep in the bed sometimes, with him in it, and if she does hop up there, it might help her get used to his presence.

Good luck, and best health to Georgia. She sounds like a real sweetheart. :D

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
My current dog (and best friend and partner in crime) was abused as a puppy. We got her very young, under a year, and when they found her, she was so dirty that they thought she was gray and brown (she's actually bright orange-red, so that shows just how dirty she was). She wouldnt' come to anyone at the shelter, and they finally had to take her out and care for her seperately. When we got her, she was very sweet, but wouldn't go to anyone except for me.

Then, someone tried to break into the house and did soemthing to her, just like what happened to your dog. Only one difference- my dog almost went down in the battle. She tore that guy up and spun his world around, despite having a fractured leg, lots of soreness, and I believe something happened to her ribs (too long ago, can't really remember the details).

Now, at the age of 10 (we're looking for the Spring of Immortality. Red ain't gonna die yet, or ever :D), she's still a firecracker, and extremely loyal. She's one of the best dogs we've ever had.

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
Taking in abused and neglected animals-- and intervening in cases of animal abuse-- sort of runs in my family. A lot of the time I don't have to look for abused animals, they will come to me. If they are anything approaching adoptable I take them to the vet and make sure they have no health problems, get them their shots if applicable, get them neutered where applicable, and adopt them out, either by use of a service (and there are many) or by putting an ad in the paper. If an abused animal comes to me, I never try to find its owner; I try to find a new owner that will love and care for it.

If an animal has behavior problems as a result of abuse, I usually end up keeping it. (sigh... it's a total pain but what are ya gonna do? two wrongs don't make a right)

Dogs especially need a "pack" atmosphere to feel comfortable. If you have other dogs that are socialized and well-behaved, then exposing the new dog that might have been abused to the other dogs-- with close supervision to prevent fights-- will go a long way toward helping the dog get its mental balance back. Teaching the dog "sit" and "stay", and how to go for walks on a leash, will also be helpful to it. Naturally, you're going to avoid yelling at the dog or spanking it, etc., but on the other hand you're not going to ignore it jumping on the counter and eating your Christmas ham, biting the paperboy, or what-have-you. Discipline and pecking order is how dogs get along with each other and they expect for you, the pack leader, to provide them with definite clues about how they are supposed to get along in the lair.

The dog can't tell you where it came from or how it was treated before, and I've noticed that many dogs ARE capable con artists. Therefore instead of trying to analyze the dog's psychic makeup, make it feel secure by providing a safe environment for it and letting it know what its boundaries are. And-- WALKS. All dogs will behave much better and be a lot happier if they can go for a daily walk with master. I have an elderly Yorkshire terrier I adopted from the pound who can barely see or hear, and walks very slowly. I take him for an individual walk every day because my other dogs step on him if I try to walk all three together. You should see his excited expression when he realizes we're going for our walk! He loves every minute of it, and he's much less likely to be restless in the house or pee on the floor.

My other two dogs are boisterous and hard to control. Buddy is enormous, a shepherd-lab mix who was never disciplined at all and was one heartbeat away from the gas chamber when I adopted him. Bentley, a tiny chihuahua-JRussell mix, came from a loving home but I'm his third owner and his first owner WAS mean to him-- he came to me because he had bitten the lady's landlord's dog and the landlord demanded she get rid of him. These two dogs are a pain in the azz to walk but I do take them anyway. They get tangled up in the leash, they bark at other dogs, and Buddy is big enough that he can drag me UPHILL if he sees a cat or something. Nevertheless I do take them anyway in spite of the aggravation. Why? Because they are so much happier that way; it satisfies them and gives them something to look forward to. They behave much better in and out of the house when I walk them.

Last but not least: If you see an animal (four-legged or two-legged) that is being abused or neglected, contact your local animal control, law enforcement, or humane society. Always intervene, don't just walk or drive away. If it's out on the highway or a rural area, call the State Patrol or sheriff's department. Even if you are late for work or on your way to some important event, you can take a minute to call local authorities and notify them of animal abuse.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Kimmie, I wouldn't even have your neighbor approach her, but rather sit in front of her with some kind of treat in his lap. Let HER approach him, since it seems she can't stand any type of agressiveness, not even a friendly approach.

I've trained a lot of dogs; but I'm by no means an expert. This may take days. Have him sit where she can see, and not move. Don't let him stare her down or anything. If she sits and behaves for a minute, give her a treat. Extend the time next time. If he holds out the treat and she even thinks about approaching him, praise her.

Next day let him sit a foot closer. Repeat until she gets used to him. If she approaches him, great. But don't be disappointed if she doesn't.

Praise, praise, praise, is what she needs. And time.

My uncle has a dog like that. She was really bad when she first got to his house; obviously abused. She still is not overly friendly with people who don't live in the house. But I'll tell ya, if I've got a piece of ham in my hand, she's my best friend :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, no.3 suggestion I like, but she'll eat the bed, besides my 13 yr old senior dog has claim to that and she is only 3lbs. Georgia's medium build compared to my late shepherd. I hope one day though...
Scarlett, The pageant pup, Lady came home with her from the pound so they do get to romp & run off a lot of energy.
Christine, good idea about the neighbor approach. That just broke my heart...when he told me about that. I've been so careful with Georgia, supplying treats, toys, walks and a lotta lov.
Georgia is currently not in the good graces of my husband...popping the car tire...my teen...stole her most valuable possesion, she just purchased ("baby freddie" )her cell phone and chewed it to pieces.
Georgia< I fear is carrying around a lot of emotional baggage...I now recall she does seem to actually be crying in her sleep. It's not like the usual chase your rabbit dream... My family has had to comfort her more than once and wake her up...

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
My cattle dog mix was abused before we got her at age 4. She was submissive and fearful and wouldn't trust anyone but me. She's 12 now (and still pretty perky) and there are some things she never got over. She's still a big chicken. You still can't point anything at her and she may bolt at loud noises. (We think someone used her for target practice.) But in some ways she's improved a lot. She will now let strangers pet her (took YEARS!) and the last time a friend dogsat for us he was able to take her for walks.

What I did was try to think like a dog. I could tell she thought she was omega in the pack so I did things to show she had better status now. (Basically I broke all the rules of showing your dog you're the alpha.) I let her on the couch with me. I gave her bites while I ate. I let her walk off leash after I was sure she'd return on command. When friend's dogs would visit she got fed before them and petted before them. She only got her very favorite treats from other people. When she would act freaked out by a noise or a stranger I would sort of ignore her and do what I could not to reinforce the behavior.

It's taken years of patience and she'll never be a happy go lucky social dog, but she's happy, she's generally calm and well behaved and she's been absolutely devoted and loyal. I've never had to yell at her. The slightest "no" is sufficient. She's a fabulous dog, she just has her quirks.

I highly recommend obedience school. The training is good bonding and this dog will want to please you. It's a matter of learning how to communicate what you want without traumatizing her more. I also recommend "How to Speak Dog" by Jonathan Katz. Great book on how to read their body language.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pomegranate, I thought about this after she got physically well, but she doesn't ride in cars. When we took her home from the pound, she got sick in the car....no biggie as she was already sick, I thought. But we've tried to take her for many rides and her eyes glaze over... it's almost like she's having a seizure...she is very fearful of the car, becomes eerily still. I've even taken her before she eats but she still gets sick. The vet has to come here. Thats expensive enough and my budget is maxed to allow an Behaviour trainer in. But thanks so much, kimmi

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
My previous dog hated the car and was always carsick in any ride longer than 5 minutes. It was frustrating. It got to where the only time we put her in the car was for the vet and that only compounded the problem. I feel your pain!

Have you tried just hanging out with her in the car -- with the car turned off, just sitting in the driveway? Is it fear of the car or motion sickness? You might have some chance of desensitizing fear of the car.

Poor baby.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pomegranate said:
My previous dog hated the car and was always carsick in any ride longer than 5 minutes. It was frustrating. It got to where the only time we put her in the car was for the vet and that only compounded the problem. I feel your pain!

Have you tried just hanging out with her in the car -- with the car turned off, just sitting in the driveway? Is it fear of the car or motion sickness? You might have some chance of desensitizing fear of the car.

Poor baby.
I don't know but for weeks after I got her, while walking her, she would pause and just stare at a passing car til it was out of sight??? sigh, just a troubled soul.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Hey, Kimmie, does Georgia have a crate? I highly recommend crate training; someplace she can call her own. Sometimes that destructive chewing behavior is nerves (obviously) and having someplace she can hide might alleviate some of the problem.

Especially when you go out of the house, lock her in. She'll feel safe and your house won't get chewed apart. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've got lots of good advice. my suggestion for the chewing (I have lab and Rottie mixes) is a Kong. Don't get the weenie red ones, Get the super-duper black one for heavy duty chewers, fill with peanutbutter and freeze it. It really does help satisfy the chewing, mouthing urges. The Kong website also has great recipe and stuffing ideas.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine & Soccer Mom,
Georgia and Lady sleep in my mud room off the kitchen. It has a pocket door but I use a baby gate instead, so they can interact and view the household activites. Cooking, laundry... a nice small room, perfect for them...[The cat will not let them over the gate and the cat bully's them] so they can hang over and have never violated this rule...as of yet. I am always talking, petting etc...when they are stuck in on rainy days. So they are confined...thus the destruction of the washer. In addition Georgia has destroyed 3 Walmart beds, 6 Goodwill comforters, endless stuffed animals, 3 of the 'teens' best outfits that she got off the washer.They each have their own Kong...but I've never done the PB...I like it very much and I am writing all of everyone's good advice down!
I did fail to mention this, Georgia is a very loveable dog, like a wet noodle when petted and gives out tons of kisses. A really sweet soul who really appreciates her forever family and wants to do good!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad the peanut butter was a hit. Since I rescue Labs I deal with chewing maniacs! Another variation is to plug the end with peanut butter, fill the middle with kibble and then plug the other end with peanut butter and freeze to make it more difficult to get out. I have yet to find a dog bed that can't be destroyed. Georgia is a lucky dog to have found a committed family.

My dogs are not only bullied by cats, but by one very bossy bunny. He's just a little mini-lop but he rules the roost. It's hilarious to watch a six pound bunny push around a fifty pound dog. :D

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Uh, no locking up an abused dog, crate or otherwise, bad idea. Your pup was obviously abused by a man, that's been established. That includes being locked up in dark, small places w/ no food and water. All you'll accomplish by crating is loads of stress. Which will immediately recreate the abuse. Yeah, I'm a trainer. No obedience classes, either. Way too much stress. Way. Also, not necessary.

My qualifications: Raising/training guide dogs including puppies raised in prisons. Have also worked w/ previously abused dogs and by watching the dogs body language can tell you the approx. height/weight of the man (if it was a male) who abused the dog.

Whoever it was that said cattle dogs are a lot like border collies are correct. Meaning, they need lots of exercise. Off-lead is best, if that's possible. Playing w/ another pup is super. Kudo's to you for adopting this pup--you've gonna have an amazing bond w/ her :)

What KTC said about the her approaching the man is also correct. It's got to be on her terms and not forced. If she's not ready, leave it to another day. Let her progress at her pace and make sure he stays on the ground, hands in lap, palms up. That shows no threat to her. He may want to wear the same clothing when you do this exercise, at least the same jacket. Keep some of the same scent. The peeing is submission, btw. Brought on by fear. Makes me want to find who did this to her and, you know.

Far as training, praise her whenever she does what you want her to--pets, hugs, always at her level, never above. And give her a treat w/ an open palm, always. Her trust was taken, it will take a while for her to feel it again.

The chewing could be tied into the fear of could it happen again, is she going to be abused, again. Kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Her way of dealing w/ stress. She needs lots of soft voices, no loud or sudden noises/movements. Soft squeaky toys, petting, massages too will help relax her. Along her spine, start at her neck. In other words, handle her a lot. There's also stuff you can give her called rescue remedy or return to joy. It's homeopathic and may help, too. The body work should be done daily, at night is a good time. An end of the day kind of thing.

The main thing is, it takes time. She'll get there!

Soccer mom is so right about PB :D

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
kimmi, I forgot to add I'm so sorry for the loss of your shepherd. It's the worst feeling in the world :Hug2: Kola Bear's nearing 10--the end of January '07. We go for our daily hikes and he still chases the squirrels. However, I've noticed he's a bit more picky in regard to the worthiness of the chasee.

You've got 2 wonderful friends in your adoptees. I wish more people adopted from shelters--you did a great thing in saving Georgia's life and she'll always be grateful to you. You can't buy that kind of a bond, anywhere.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jean, thanks for your advice as well as all the other great advice I've rcvd. What would make Georgia eat rocks? Believe it or not she is chewing up the driveway....Literally eating big rocks that she finds as well. I 've given her a ton of toys. Made hubby go into her room and sit on the floor with her for awhile. Usually she gets all the attention from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.