Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I arrived in Richmond within the past week, I'm finally beginning to get a feel for the place (I don't get lost when trying to cross the street. Yes, that actually happened.) I REALLY like Richmond, it's so much better than my hometown or Nastyass Norfolk or Rumpled Roanoke.

Just 10 minutes ago, my mother emailed me (we don't really have a phone). She claims that I'm taking the next bus home. I told her where she could stick a few objects, then told her that she'd have to drive herself up her and chase me around before she could get me to come home.

...She said okay. Oh boy. I have a rather large woman coming my way who plans on chasing me up the state.

From the sound of things back home, it's a damn good thing that I'm gone for now. Things are just getting crazier and more stressful, and apparently my mother has tried to screw over my dad AGAIN with even larger amounts of money and has purposely kept us poor because she thinks she'll get more momney in return (she's a very reputable registered nurse around home, yet she "settled" for a Walmart job.) etc etc

Any tippers on how to get me out of this one? I have a relative in New York (no way she'd chase me there) but I'd rather not go quite that far....

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Tsuki...how old are you, kiddo? And who technically has custody?

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm at 16, and it's joint custody for now.

And I can feel this question coming up- no, I am not a runaway. I got their permission (written for the lawyers or whatever) to spend a month away from home, living with relatives between Va and Wv (went to Pa once).

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Mac, she's over sixteen and in college. That's my understanding. However, she's like way too intelligent, witty, and a blast here on AW to be a kid.

Tsuki...if you need any help then call someone who can intervene...like a social service or state agency. You are of legal age (emancipated) to decided where and with whom you choose to live.

Be safe...

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Except, now that your mom wants you to come home, legally she can do so. As soon as you defy her wishes, you can be reported as a runaway. It sucks, but it's the way the system works.

If your home life is that bad, you can look into emancipation. But I don't suggest that lightly. One of the problems with emancipation is that even though you are legally recognized as an adult, not everyone sees it that way. It is tough to get work and a place to live. And you have to do all that while finishing school. However, if you are serious, then it is a way to go. I was emancipated at 17. It was a tough decision, but worth the time and money involved.

I feel for you, I really do. I just don't see many ways you can deal with the situation without getting yourself and/or your relatives into trouble.

ETA: Spooky has a good suggestion. You may end up back at your parents for a while, until they can work everything out. Then again, they may place you in foster care. It depends on the situation.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for the compliment, I definately needed it now. :D

I've been thinking of calling my dad's lawyer and whipping out this nifty little paper that she signed and showing it to him. I'm not SUPPOSED to have a permanent residence in Richmond, but I DO plan on staying here until my time is up legally.

Perhaps we should get a social worker in on this?

Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
I'm at 16, and it's joint custody for now.

And I can feel this question coming up- no, I am not a runaway. I got their permission (written for the lawyers or whatever) to spend a month away from home, living with relatives between Va and Wv (went to Pa once).

So, then what's the problem?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
dahmnait said:
Except, now that your mom wants you to come home, legally she can do so. As soon as you defy her wishes, you can be reported as a runaway. It sucks, but it's the way the system works.
I believe the law in most states will allow her to become emancipated at 15 or 16 years of age. Provided she can prove to the court reasoning for being emancipated. I was since 15 years of age.

But don't believe me. I only play a lawyer on t.v. Consult a lawyer. Each state has a bar association which provides some services for free.

Good luck!

Spooky

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
I've been thinking of calling my dad's lawyer and whipping out this nifty little paper that she signed and showing it to him. I'm not SUPPOSED to have a permanent residence in Richmond, but I DO plan on staying here until my time is up legally.
That paper doesn't mean anything if your legal custodian decides that she wants to revoke it. Legally, you don't have rights. Even now, years later, that line makes me want to scream. Sorry. Now, if you can work anything out with your dad, that is a different story if they have joint custody.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
Thank you for the compliment, I definately needed it now. :D

Perhaps we should get a social worker in on this?
Well I'm getting sucked into this, but I'm beginning to feel like a fool. Kiddo, call your dad or lawyer and get this (whatever it is) straight. I quit this post.

Thank you

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
I believe the law in most states will allow her to become emancipated at 15 or 16 years of age. Provided she can prove to the court reasoning for being emancipated. I was since 15 years of age.

But don't believe me. I only play a lawyer on t.v. Consult a lawyer. Each state has a bar association which provides some services for free.

Good luck!

Spooky
Absolutely consult a lawyer. She can become emancipated, but there is a process that takes time. It is not an overnight thing.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Emancipation costs money. Lots of money, from what I found out from my research. Besides, I only have a year or so to go in this house (turning 17 very soon, then 18's coming).

Home life is not the worst it could ever be. There's always someone out there with a worse life than mine. However, Mom's a nutcase. She's just....ugh, I'm not even going to go there right now. I don't have the tolerance to at the moment.

Foster care... That's not a bad idea in terms of getting away from the homestead. However, I'm far too stubborn and proud to follow those rules and such. I would rather live on the street without a dollar to my name than have to bend to someone else's will (I actually have some experience with this).
Thank you very much for the suggestions, I appreciate it. :D

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Seriously? Damn it all! Why does someone that mental have any power over something like this! Being a legal adult shouldn't be allowed. Every person should be evaluated. That way, I'd be out of here and she'd be in some damn therapy!

Dad says he misses he, but understands that I needed to get away from the entire situation. Maybe I'll have a chance. He's not a very strong man, though....

...Guess I gotta get my bus ticket, eh? Damn.... Things would be much easier if I could "slip" with the iron skillet one day and just ~whoop~ "Oh my!"

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
...Guess I gotta get my bus ticket, eh? Damn.... Things would be much easier if I could "slip" with the iron skillet one day and just ~whoop~ "Oh my!"
That's what your writing is for. :D

As for everything else, yeah it sucks. Just keep your mantra going...one more year. Are you taking your new pet home with you?

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
One year.... So soon, yet so far away. *sigh*

Oh course I'm taking Tantalicious Iscariot back home with me! I get some funny looks here when I walk him (hehehehe), but maybe back at home they're be more accepting of his arachnid-eous ways. Plus, he's my own personal blood sucking fiend. Every time I get angry at someone, I can open the jar just a little.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
I'm getting my tubes tied ASAP so I never have the possibility of putting my kids through this. Meh.
For what it is worth, I left home just after turning 15 and bummed around many states for two years until I joined the Marine Corps in 1975. I have street smarts, life on the streets, and continue to learn from each experience.

Tsyki, if you need to talk about this off line please PM me. I can put you in contact with people who will help you through this period in your life. I know what you are going through and it's tough. But you're smart and resourceful, so I know you'll come through just fine.

My best advice is to chill. Family sucks sometimes. I know this because I spent all my weekend arguing with my brother and sister who I hadn't seen since 2002.

Best wishes,

Spooky

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
15's a pretty rough age to get started on street life. Having street smarts is good though- guarantees you'll survive anything, like a cockroach.

Aw, thanks Spooky. :) I probably won't be needing any more contacts as of right now (this lawyer is doing pretty good), but the minute I feel I need some help, I'll send a PM your way immediately.

:Hug2:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Talk to a lawyer. Call legal aid and ask them for advice. ((hugs)) to you.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
This is a hard subject to address but your mother seems to be out of control. Perhaps you should take advantage of her perdictability and cause her to disqualify herself but do it in a way that it will take her years to understand you planned it.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.