How Long Do Features Take To Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmonyWriter

I was watching the film ADAPTATION and was interested that it took the (blocked) writer many months to write a script. How long do features of the spec variety (not adaptations or not assigned) take everybody to write? What is the length of time that industry folks expect it to take? I have a novelist friend who writes a book a year and she works on it all year long -- 4-5 hours a day. But her books are all well over 400 pages. So I'm just curious. Also, how many scripts does it take to have a decent writing sample pile? 3? 10? 20? I know one or two is never enough.

Thanks! Harmony:)

dchapma123

I've had scripts that took months to write, years to polish. I've had scripts that I wrote in two days. It really all depends.

SimonSays

Harmony - this is definitely one of those questions that every writer will have a different answer for. It depends on an individual writer's process, how much time they have to write (all day - every day, a few hours a night, when you find the time, etc.)

For me - I can usually get a first draft out in between 6 weeks and 3 months. But with the multiple rewrites etc., it's usually 8 months or a full year before it's ready to go out. As for industry folk expectations - often when you're doing a spec script - especially for new writers who don't have agents, etc. - nobody has expectations. I don't like to pitch my stuff until it's done. So I rarely have a spec where anyone has expetations including my agent. I usually tell him I'm working on stuff, but no specifics until I'm ready for him to see it. I'll usually show him the 2nd draft. Then after I get feedback from him, I'll do more rewrites.

I actually work faster if I'm doing an assignment. Because if I have a deadline, I have to meet it. But then I'm also not working in a vacuum - the producer and director give their input as well which either helps or hurts depending on the producer and director. Generally speaking they will give you enough time, but it's tight.

NikeeGoddess

true - there really is no answer to that question
however, if you write one page per day then you'll have 365 pages in one year which is equivalent to 3 scripts. :eek

then you spend the next 5 years rewriting them ;) :lol

joecalabre

I work very much like Simon.

Normally, I have two completed specs a year as well as a few treatments/outlines, if I'm lucky.

Lately though, with three kids and rewrite work I'm doing for a pain-in-the-butt producer, I'm having a touch of "spec block." I'll be lucky to finish the 1st draft of my new spec in 6 months vs. 6 weeks.

kojled

hw

i can write a draft in two days. usually take two months. this may sound like bs but it's true - this is because i work on good ideas (shitcan the others) and i work from good outlines. writing off the top of my head does not work. so, it's about being able to tell a good idea from a lousy one and organizing the story elements in a way that allows for easy tranposition to screenplay form

how many scripts does it take to have a decent writing sample? one. a great script is better than a stack of lousy scripts. plus, logically, if you can write one great script you can write others (meaning yours or taking assignments to fix somebody else's stuff). again, this sounds like a cheeky answer but the logic shines through - it's fundamental: focus on craft not volume

zilla

Writing Again

My guess is that if you are professional it will take the time you are allowed before the deadline.

If a producer says, "I want a story about a monkey who plays football by next week": Then I think a good writer would have one in a week. It might not be the most perfect script in the world, but it would have plot, including setup, mid story, and conclusion: characters in trouble: conflicts with goals: and be formatted correctly.

When it comes to spec scripts, I think everyone, including established pros, are in the position of amateurs with whatever time they feel they want or need to work on a script.

SimonSays

Writing Again -

No good, realistic producer expects you to write a script in a week. And even most great writers can't produce a good script in a week.

I'd be suspect of any producer who expected a high quaity script in that short a period of time.

NikeeGoddess

If a producer says, "I want a story about a monkey who plays football by next week": Then I think a good writer would have one in a week. It might not be the most perfect script in the world, but it would have plot, including setup, mid story, and conclusion: characters in trouble: conflicts with goals: and be formatted correctly.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

any producer who plans to invest the millions it takes to make a feature will wait as long as it takes (as long as it's not too long) for the script to be perfect. then they're ask it to be rewritten. then they'll attach a director and that director will ask it to be rewritten. then they'll attach an actor and that actor will ask it to be rewritten. then the actor will have a fight with the director and one of them will be fired. and the execute producer will ask it to be rewritten because his buddy (well, not actually his buddy but, he just got a fantastic deal for a speed boat) owns a speed boat manufacturer and part of the deal was to include the speed boat in the flick. and this goes on and on and on until you have one crappy script. and then they make the movie and everyone complains about the holes in the structure and the unsatisfying ending or whatever and....
that's how long it takes.

rewrite on!

Status
Not open for further replies.