PDA

View Full Version : Iran - The Bell Tolls for Thee

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 03:56 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=nation_world&id=4757009

WASHINGTON - Israeli PM: We Won't Tolerate a Nuclear Iran

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert brought his concerns over Iran's nuclear threat to the White House on Monday and offered assurances he was not looking for a confrontation with Tehran.

"I am not looking for wars," he declared in advance of his meeting with President Bush.

"This is not an issue of Israel only," Olmert said of Iran's nuclear efforts, which Israel and the United States say is aimed at building nuclear weapons. "This is a moral issue of the whole world."

The meeting was the second Olmert had with Bush since the prime minister took over for the ailing Ariel Sharon. Palestinian gestures toward peacemaking with Israel was also a key topic on their agenda.

Tehran's goal is to "ultimately wipe Israel off the map," Olmert said on NBC's "Today" show. "The whole world has to join forces in order to stop it. This is a problem of every country. I know that President Bush is fully aware of that."

Yes.

It's time for the entire world to stand up and say in one voice...

"We are fighting for our right to live. We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!"

dclary
11-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Let's tell the world how to bring those sons of b*tches down!

greglondon
11-14-2006, 04:00 AM
The fact that we invaded Iraq after Iraq had disarmed its WMD program has established only one thing to the world:

Disarmament is for suckers.

WackAMole
11-14-2006, 04:06 AM
Oh brother.

lol i second that

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Let's tell the world how to bring those sons of b*tches down!

:ROFL:

TheGaffer
11-14-2006, 04:35 AM
RED - the blood of angry men!

BLACK!- the dark of ages past!

RED! - a world about to dawn!

BLACK! - the night that ends at last!!!!

(master of the house, quick to catch your eye...)

dclary
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Gaffer gives us the play-by-play to the deadliest game of checkers known to man.

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 05:02 AM
I just wish Carter would have taken care of Iran back in '79 and we wouldn't even be in this mess.

We may not be in ANY of this mess if he'd dropped the hammer on the Iranians after the hostages were taken.

Clary,
I need you to know this about me. I don't negotiate with people who take hostages or mess around and talk and talk and talk. I kill them. And if I had been President, when our embassy was taken over, I would have gotten on T.V. told the Iranians they had 7 Days to the minute to release our hostages or they would face the full wrath and strength of the United States arsenal. I'd then tell the Iranian people that they should evacuate all major cities and steer clear of all military installations. I'd then say "I'm sorry that your government has put you in this position."

And then stare in the camara, hold up a stop watch, click it and say "One week."

And walk off.

Watch how quickly we get our hostages back.

And if not...

Bye Bye.

Just thought you should know this before we take the oaths.

greglondon
11-14-2006, 05:09 AM
I just wish Carter would have taken care of Iran back in '79 and we wouldn't even be in this mess..

We took care of Iran in 1953, and that is the cause of most of
our problems now.

The American Central Intelligence Agency overthrows the democratically elected government of Iran and installs the Shah, a brutal dictator who arrests dissidents without warrant, tortures them, holds them indefinitely without trial, and "disappears" some of them. Why did we do this? For control of Iran's oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world...cia-index.html (http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/mideast/041600iran-cia-index.html)

The backlash to this was the Iranian Revolution in 1979 which chased out the dictator the Shah and turned Iran into a theocracy, installing the Ayatolla Khomeini, and sparking the Iranian Hostage crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Revolution

Those Bstrds, they don't know what a good thing we did for them back
in '53. And now they hate us for our freedom. Our fun loving, easy going,
gas guzzling, empire building freedom. We should nuke 'em off the map.

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 05:19 AM
We should nuke 'em off the map.

Yes. Well said. We're finally in agreement.

But only if we really really have to. I'd prefer a heavy non nuclear bombing campaign.

Regardless, The bell tolls for thee.

Hopefully, to quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade..."they'll choose wisely."

The ball is their court.

dclary
11-14-2006, 05:31 AM
Clary, I need you to know this about me. I don't negotiate with people who take hostages or mess around and talk and talk and talk. I kill them. And if I had been President, when our embassy was taken over, I would have gotten on T.V. told the Iranians they had 7 Days to the minute to release our hostages or they would face the full wrath and strength of the United States arsenal. I'd then tell the Iranian people that they should evacuate all major cities and steer clear of all military installations. I'd then say "I'm sorry that your government has put you in this position."

And then stare in the camara, hold up a stop watch, click it and say "One week."

And walk off.

And if not...

Bye Bye.

Just thought you should know this before we take the oaths.

Billy, I would have had Mel Gibson make the video.

"Terrorists, see these virgins? All of them? These are all the virgins you think you're going to get, but you're not. You know why? Because we've just declared jihad on your own sorry asses. That's right. I'm giving these virgins to any militant islamic dude who blows himself up to take YOU out.

Not only that, but I've got about 35,000 megatons of enriched, military grade radioactives ready to help.

7 days? You've got 48 hours.

GIVE ME BACK MY EMBASSY!"

dclary
11-14-2006, 05:32 AM
BTW: I don't think Greg meant it, but he's not real good at sarcasm smilies.

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 05:35 AM
BTW: I don't think Greg meant it, but he's not real good at sarcasm smilies.

I know he didn't.
:)

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Billy, I would have had Mel Gibson make the video.

"Terrorists, see these virgins? All of them? These are all the virgins you think you're going to get, but you're not. You know why? Because we've just declared jihad on your own sorry asses. That's right. I'm giving these virgins to any militant islamic dude who blows himself up to take YOU out.

Not only that, but I've got about 35,000 megatons of enriched, military grade radioactives ready to help.

7 days? You've got 48 hours.

I.LOVE.IT.

greglondon
11-14-2006, 05:39 AM

Would you also have demanded that they re-install the puppet dictator that the CIA put in back in '53? Or would you be happy with your embassy and call it even?

Just curious.

billythrilly7th
11-14-2006, 05:41 AM
"Just the embassy, ma'am. Just the embassy."
Joe Thrilly

(the hostages too)

greglondon
11-14-2006, 05:50 AM
(the hostages too)

Yes, of course. Package deal was implied.

SC Harrison
11-14-2006, 04:23 PM

Ross Perot made it look easy. Then again, he's a hell of a lot smarter than most people think.

Unique
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I think people also forget about 'connections'.
I'm sure there was a LOT of deal brokering going on behind the scenes that Joe Average just.never.knew. about.

TeddyG
11-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Ahh but Billy...
You see I think you picked upon the wrong quote as it was originally written by John Donne, part of a long piece of prose, whose stanza begins with:

"No man is an Island entire within itself"

But the end is:
"Every man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee."

(Donne part of Meditation 17)

robeiae
11-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Nah...it still works. But personally, I prefer this one:

Now, you know that, and I know that... but somebody's bucking for a promotion. It's probably that pederast Hanrahan. I don't know. All I know is if I don't go back with something you and your son-in-law are gonna be the scapegoats of the week.

:D

robeiae
11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
He's also a hell of a lot richer. . . .Like Keith Richards...

SC Harrison
11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
He's also a hell of a lot richer. . . .

Yeah, well. Money didn't make that mission a success, brains did. The funny thing is, he actually showed up in Tehran, talked to some extremely surprised people, then took off again. They couldn't believe it. Not to mention the fact the Justice Dept. threatened to confiscate a bunch of his money if he did anything "rash". I can't remember exactly what he said, but I think it went, "You gotta do what you gotta do, and I've gotta do what I've gotta do." Heh heh :)

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 02:53 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229360,00.html

(A.P.)VIENNA, Austria*—* Experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency have found unexplained plutonium and enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in Iran and have asked Tehran for an explanation, an IAEA report said Tuesday.

The report, prepared for next week's meeting of the 35-nation IAEA, also faulted Tehran for not cooperating with the agency's attempts to investigate suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear program that have lead to fears it might be interested in developing nuclear arms.

Officials have said they plan to have 3,000 centrifuges operating by next year — enough to make enough material for several nuclear weapons a year.

Clary, it's time to sweep the leg.

dclary
11-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Nancy Pelosi: But Sensei, I can take him!

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 03:10 AM
Nancy Pelosi: But Sensei, I can take him!

Sensei: I said sweep the leg. Do you have a problem with that?
Pelosi: You know what, I do. I'm not sweeping no leg. I'm going to offer him a draw.
Sensei: A draw? Sweep the leg!!
Pelosi: Nope. Sorry. I'm gonna try and be friends with this guy.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:10 AM
Experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency have found unexplained plutonium and enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in Iran

Don't listen to them, Billy. The IAEA is a UN organization, and we know how successful they've been. They're probably talking out the bum anyway. It probably isn't even plutonium, just a bunch of old glow in the dark watches.

Anyway, I find it interesting that we take the IAEA at their word when it suits the neocon agenda. But they're a complete failure when they declare something against the neocon agenda, like, oh, say, Iraq has no wmd's as of march 2003.

I wish I could cherry pick the results I want. Too bad I'm stuck in the reality-based worldview. Darn it.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:13 AM
Uh oh. Senior Geg may have a pointarillo.

If you hit it, WMD's will come out?

robeiae
11-15-2006, 03:14 AM
Don't listen to them, Billy. The IAEA is a UN organization, and we know how successful they've been. They're probably talking out the bum anyway. It probably isn't even plutonium, just a bunch of old glow in the dark watches.

Anyway, I find it interesting that we take the IAEA at their word when it suits the neocon agenda. But they're a complete failure when they declare something against the neocon agenda, like, oh, say, Iraq has no wmd's as of march 2003.

I wish I could cherry pick the results I want. Too bad I'm stuck in the reality-based worldview. Darn it.Why bother cherry-picking when you just fabricate what others say? Lucky for you, you're entertaining...but Oz is calling you home, I think.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:15 AM
If you hit it, WMD's will come out?

AY! That's where they've been hiding all these years!

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 03:16 AM
I wish I could cherry pick the results I want.

I hear ya, like election results for example.

Hang in there, greg, you're a model of fairness and you are, unlike everyone else, without a hypocratic bone in your body, and unbiased, fair and balanced. You clearly don't live in a world of ideological slants, like the rest of us poor souls. You're an example to us all. But it must be tough for you. I understand. Just try and loosen up these high standards you've set for yourself and clearly live up to. For your own sake, sir. To thine own self be true.

Just looking out for you.
The Thrill

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Ooop. sorry everyone. I was just chatting with my buddy, Chad Conrad Castagana, and he said I meant pinata, not pointarella. never mind.

dclary
11-15-2006, 03:17 AM
AY! That's where they've been hiding all these years!

LOL, you're the only guy who replies to that guy like that.

SC Harrison
11-15-2006, 03:21 AM
I have a couple of stupid observations:

First, I wasn't even aware Iran had allowed inspectors in. Anybody else miss this? Anyone? Bueller?

Secondly, what if Putin gave them some weapons-grade waste, so they could half-*** hide it in a place they knew the IAEA would find it, so everybody would get even scareder, and they would force us to the table sooner with bigger gifts, which Iran would then split with Russia...

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm just glad that greg agrees that Iran is enriching weapons grade nuclear material and that given that fact, all clear thinking people understand it's getting very close to the time to take them out.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Secondly, what if Putin gave them some weapons-grade waste, so they could half-*** hide it in a place they knew the IAEA would find it, so everybody would get even scareder, and they would force us to the table sooner with bigger gifts, which Iran would then split with Russia...

Pretty sneaky, Putin.

But, I gotta err on the side of the IAEA with greg. I'm sure they've done a DNA analysis on the material and found it to be of Middle Eastern descent.

robeiae
11-15-2006, 03:27 AM
Secondly, what if Putin gave them some weapons-grade waste, so they could half-*** hide it in a place they knew the IAEA would find it, so everybody would get even scareder, and they would force us to the table sooner with bigger gifts, which Iran would then split with Russia...Putin is on our side! Or the UN's side...or somebody's side...isn't he? See, Steve--we reach concensus once again. :) Putin is on Putin's side, agreed?

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm just glad that greg agrees that Iran is enriching weapons grade nuclear material and that given that fact, all clear thinking people understand it's getting very close to the time to take them out.

Good grief, Billy. I didn't say that at all. I said you can't trust the IAEA or their UN handlers. They don't know what they're talking about. For instance, on 7 March 2003, the IAEA said that Iraq had no WMD's, no nuclear program, nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/07/sprj.irq.un.transcript.elbaradei/

But obviously, they were wrong, because we invaded two weeks later.

Either that, or someone is cherry picking IEAE data, quoting them now as Divine Truth but ignoring them March 2003 and dunderheads.

robeiae
11-15-2006, 03:36 AM
He won't let Iran have WMD's, I can tell you that.I see no reason to believe that. Putin will do what he thinks serves his interests. If he thinks letting Iran develop or come awfullly close to developing a nuclear weapon and believes this will involve the U.S. and/or Europe sufficiently to serve his needs, he'll do it in heartbeat. IMO, of course.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Greg,
I'm just happy that you are a man of unwavering fairness and despite the neocon cherry pickers that you won't allow yourself to do that.

And given that fact, you understand based on today's report that Iran is weaponizing their nuclear material and must be dealt with before it is too late. And I thank you for your steel will and backbone and that you don't give in to temptation to make decision based on ideology.

It's time to move on these guys.

Iran’s president declared today that its nuclear program was nearing an important milestone, even as international atomic inspectors reported that they had found unexplained traces of plutonium and that Tehran had continued to be so uncooperative in answering questions that they had been unable to confirm its claims of progress made nearly a half year ago.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran was hoping soon to master the nuclear fuel cycle, even as world powers try to agree on sanctions over suspicions that Tehran is seeking the means to make atomic bombs. Iran says it only wants to create fuel for its reactors so it can generate electricity.

"I hope we can have our celebration of Iran’s full nuclearization this year," Mr. Ahmadinejad told a news conference in Tehran, apparently referring to doing everything from extracting uranium ore from the ground to enriching it into reactor fuel. Iran’s calendar year ends in March.

Luckily with Iran, for all of us, they actually admit what they are doing. It makes it so much easier to avoid the mistake of the Iraq WMD situation.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 03:55 AM
It makes it so much easier to avoid the mistake of the Iraq WMD situation.

Hhwah?

Iraq was a mistake? Did I hear that correctly?

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Hhwah?

Iraq was a mistake? Did I hear that correctly?

"the mistake of the Iraq WMD situation."

Bad intelligence.

It'll kill ya everytime.

Oh well....

Sorry, Iraq.
:Shrug:

Hopefully we can get ya an up and running semi-democratic government in place and you can usher in an age of peace, stability and prosperity for you and yours.

If not...

Double :Shrug:

Good luck.

English Dave
11-15-2006, 04:03 AM
I love the word weaponizing. Give it a couple of weeks and it'll be part of the lexicon

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 04:08 AM
I love the word weaponizing. Give it a couple of weeks and it'll be part of the lexicon

I've been weaponizing my rep points for the past six weeks.

Be careful, EDay.

'Nuff Said.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Bad intelligence.

Bad intelligence? From where? Certainly not the CIA or the IEAE or the UN. Maybe out of Bush's @ss.

Oh well, indeed.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Maybe out of Bush's @ss.

Oh well, indeed.

Yep.

Nobody's perfect.

Sorry, Iraq.

Good luck.
The Thrill

greglondon
11-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Yep.

Nobody's perfect.

Sorry, Iraq.

Hm. Depending on your reading of the rules and regulations, Bush's version of not being "perfect" might qualify him as a war criminal. You won't object if he's brought before the Hague? If nothing else, his approval of torture should at least get him one of those ankle bracelet thingees and house arrest for a while.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Hm. Depending on your reading of the rules and regulations, Bush's version of not being "perfect" might qualify him as a war criminal. You won't object if he's brought before the Hague? If nothing else, his approval of torture should at least get him one of those ankle bracelet thingees and house arrest for a while.

Nah, he'll be okay. Chopping wood and clearing brush back in Austin before you know it.

God bless ya, W.

You did your best. I'm proud of ya, kid.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 04:43 AM
God bless ya, W. You did your best..

Did your Best? My dog could lead better than him.

Are we talking about Bush Junior or Senior?

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Did your Best? My dog could lead better than him.

Where do you come up with gems like that?

Do you have a writing team?

All by yourself?

I gotta come up with them by myself, that's why they can be subpar sometimes. But that's A-List material, greg.

What's your secret?
;)

BottomlessCup
11-15-2006, 04:57 AM
We have a war-bell now?

Alright. I'll admit that's pretty awesome.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Where do you come up with gems like that?

Do you have a writing team?

All by yourself?

I gotta come up with them by myself, that's why they can be subpar sometimes. But that's A-List material, greg.

What's your secret?
;)

Sorry, Billy. I didn't realize your entertainment threshold was set so low.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 05:01 AM
We have a war-bell now?

Alright. I'll admit that's pretty awesome.

I missed that.

Huh?

What?

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Sorry, Billy. I didn't realize your entertainment threshold was set so low.

I am nothing if not bored and starved for even the smallest morsal of entertainment.

And speaking of starved....that's right...It's Billy's Steak Time.

Carry on....

Bravo
11-15-2006, 05:27 AM

judging from the low standards you keep for politics, i bet youre the kinda clown who eats his steak well-done.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 05:31 AM
judging from the low standards you keep for politics, i bet youre the kinda clown who eats his steak well-done.

Are you insane?

I'd knife it right off the cow and eat it raw if I could.

Well-done? What am I a murderer?

How dare you.

I cook it the bare minimum needed to kill the ecoli and bird flu.

Thank you.

Bravo
11-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Are you insane?

I'd knife it right off the cow and eat it raw if I could.

Well-done? What am I a murderer?

How dare you.

I cook it the bare minimum needed to kill the ecoli and bird flu.

Thank you.

now that just tells me youre afraid to overcook it.

such wasted potential in you. this explains a lot though.

im sad now.

:(

p.s. medium rare is the way to go. or maybe, possibly medium.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 05:38 AM
now that just tells me youre afraid to overcook it.

such wasted potential in you. this explains a lot though.

im sad now.

:eye roll with a huge snort emoticon:

I'm not afraid to overcook anything. I like it rare. And six o'clock is my eat rare steak and watch O'Reilly power hour.

Thank you.

P.S. My steak isn't ready yet. :(

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 05:54 AM
It's broken, so we're going to use diplomacy with Iran.

Oh, shiite.

Unique
11-15-2006, 05:56 AM

Carry on....

Steak two days in a row. I have hope for my old age.

dclary
11-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Republicans eat their meat raw, rare, or (in mixed company) medium rare.

The rarer/rawer the better, because we know we look cool with the blood of our slain prey running down our chins.

Unique
11-15-2006, 06:09 AM
that's good. cholesterol and the potential of mad cow.
very good.
cooking doesn't kill mad cow, btw.
just in case you didn't know.

robeiae
11-15-2006, 06:10 AM
And red meat doesn't make you die young.

greglondon
11-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Oh, shiite.

And you gave me grief for the "dog" comment? Wow.

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 06:24 AM
And you gave me grief for the "dog" comment? Wow.

LOL...I was wondering how long it would take you to come back with "That wasn't funny, Billy."

That's why I actually took steps within the original post to save you the embarresment of being even more predictable than you already are by saying "I know some of mine are subpar..."

Yet, like the sun rising, here you still are. Right on cue. :)

92% of my posts are laced with comedy.

They ain't all diamonds.

Thank you.

SC Harrison
11-15-2006, 06:26 AM
See, Steve--we reach concensus once again. :) Putin is on Putin's side, agreed?

Agreed. Take it from a former cold-warrior (well, it was actually only slightly cool by the time I got involved), the more things change, the more they stay the same:

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/25/missiles.shtml

Russia, pledging to complete the Bushehr reactor, has offered to sell a range of surface-to-air missile systems to protect Iran’s nuclear facilities, the Middle East Newsline reports.

Russian diplomatic and industry sources said Moscow has been negotiating to sell Iran a range of anti-aircraft systems to protect Bushehr from Israeli or U.S. air strikes. The sources said contracts could be signed when Bushehr was ready to begin operations in a move expected to take place in late 2007.

“Russia has already installed and manned SAM systems around Bushehr,” a diplomatic source said. “The current talks regard an air defense umbrella that would protect all strategic sites in Iran.”

In November 2005, Russia reached agreement for the sale of 29 TOR-M1 short-range anti-aircraft systems to Iran in a deal valued at more than $700 million. The sources said Iran has also sought the strategic S-300PMU SAM system, capable of detecting and intercepting enemy aircraft at a distance of 300 and 150 kilometers, respectively.

SSDD.

Whatever situation you can engineer that facilitates the sale of expensive conventional weapons is golden, but Russia is not going to allow them to join the nuclear (weapons) family. They will, however, gladly allow us to alienate the rest of the world even more by attacking Iran, as this will open up huge commerce channels for them.

So yes, Let Putin play with them for a while.

robeiae
11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Whatever situation you can engineer that facilitates the sale of expensive conventional weapons is golden, but Russia is not going to allow them to join the nuclear (weapons) family. They will, however, gladly allow us to alienate the rest of the world even more by attacking Iran, as this will open up huge commerce channels for them.

So yes, Let Putin play with them for a while.
Thank you.So an 'almost concensus,' Steve? Really, that's good enough for me.

But let's get real. You guys don't actually believe Putin is prepared to use military force against Iran to prevent them from getting a nuclear weapon, do you? Of course, he knows it will never fall to him to do so, so he's kinda playing with a stacked deck. But that fact means, to me anyway, that Putin will allow Iran to join or almost join the nuclear family. He'll use them and twist them, promising this and that but delivering only some of this and none of that. He'll publically voice his concerns about their weapons program, than slide them some cash and a crate of RPG launchers, promising it's just to put off the Americans. It's a freakin sitcom.

Unique
11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
except it's not funny.

but then again, most sitcoms aren't funny either.
Point for Rob

robeiae
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Putin understands that today's ally is tomorrow's enemy. He was KGB, remember? He's not going to let anybody have nukes that doesn't have 'em already. He's smarter than that.So you believe Putin is prepared to launch a military strike on Iran? Come on. But like I said, he knows that will never fall to him. The U.S. and/or Israel will act long before he has to...

billythrilly7th
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
The U.S. and/or Israel will act long before he has to...

That's pretty much Europe's position on anything.

I understand why they're all doves over there. They live under the blanket of freedom we've provided for them for 50-60 years.

It must be nice to be all "anti-war" when you never have to do anything.

It's convenient.

That's why, once the missile defense system is ready, I say we go isolationist. Let Europe deal with the Jihadists and the Chinese red storm on their own. We'll sit back comfortably and watch.

Ahhhhhhhhhh....we can rest at last.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 06:40 AM
"It's 1938 and Iran is Germany. And Iran is racing to arm itself with atomic bombs. Believe him and stop him. This is what we must do. Everything else pales before this."
Netanyahu said of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
11/14/06

SC Harrison
11-16-2006, 07:56 AM
So you believe Putin is prepared to launch a military strike on Iran? Come on. But like I said, he knows that will never fall to him. The U.S. and/or Israel will act long before he has to...

Exactly. And then:

He helps to facilitate a confrontation and, after the smoke clears, he volunteers to "help" guide Iran through their confusion. We don't have to become embroiled in another occupation, and he gets oil, natural gas, coal and a warm-water port.

Look at this:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=%20EN20060129&articleId=1841

In March 2005 Iran-Russian relations took a qualitative shift closer. That month Moscow agreed to the sale of a ‘defensive’ missile system to Tehran, worth up to $7 billion-worth of future defense contracts. In 2000 Putin had announced Russia would no longer continue to abide by a secret US-Russia agreement to ban Russian weapons sales to Iran that the government of Boris Yeltsin had concluded. Since then, Russian-Iranian relations have become more entwined to put it mildly.

Moscow currently says it is in talks with Iran to build five to seven additional nuclear power reactors on the Bushehr site after completion of the present reactor. Russia expects to get up to $10 billion from the planned larger Bushehr reactors deal and additional arms sales to Iran. It is currently building the reactor on credit to be paid by Iran only after the completion of the project. Sanctions and admonitions will not change Russia's relationship with one of the most demonized states in America's ‘axis of evil.’ Iran has become a major counterweight for Moscow in the geopolitical game for Washington’s total domination over Eurasia, and Putin is shrewdly aware of that potential.

It's pretty much a "win-win" situation for Putin. Iran is attacked (in his back yard), he will be allowed to step in and "manage" the situation. Iran doesn't get attacked, and he not only gets to keep selling billions in arms and support, but he also gets an ever-larger piece of the pipeline business.

robeiae
11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Very nice.

I just don't want to see anyone thinking there is a line Putin won't cross if it serves his needs, because I don't think there is one. That's all.

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:03 AM
total number of nations iran has invaded in the last 367 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Empire#Safavid_dynasty_.281500.E2.80.93172 2.29):

zero.

yeah.

just a frightening nation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wars_of_Persia).

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:06 AM
total number of nations iran has invaded in the last 367 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Empire#Safavid_dynasty_.281500.E2.80.93172 2.29):

zero.

yeah.

just a frightening nation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wars_of_Persia).

Cool, so you're going with the 'Amadinijead is just joking around' when he says "Israel will be anihilated in one storm?"

Fair enough.

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Cool, so you're going with the 'Amadinijead is just joking around' when he says "Israel will be anihilated in one storm?"

Fair enough.

im going w the: you need to hear what he actually says route.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/09/60minutes/main1879867.shtml

Bartholomew
11-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Fair enough.

Because we all know the best way to stop a fight is to step right in the middle of it and take a side.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Ahh yes, Bravo. The 60 minutes interview with the really needs to retire soon Mike Wallace.

Well, my fears are alleviated.

I'll PM the link to Teddy G and tell him all is well.

Thanks, dude.

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Ahh yes, Bravo. The 60 minutes interview with the really needs to retire soon Mike Wallace.

Well, my fears are alleviated.

I'll PM the link to Teddy G and tell him all is well.

Thanks, dude.

sounds good.

sleep easy.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:29 AM
From the interview....

But "dialogue and cultural exchanges" don't sound like his policy toward Israel.

"Israel, you have said time and again, Israel must be wiped off the map. Please explain why. And what is Iran doing about that?" Wallace asked.

"Well, allow me to finish with the nuclear dossier first," Ahmadinejad said.

"No, you finished with that. You finished with that. Please," Wallace continued.

"No, it's not finished, sir. It's not finished. We are just beginning," Ahmadinejad said.

"OK, oh!" Wallace replied with a chuckle. "That's what I was afraid of. But go."

He dodges the question.

Wallace asks again...

You are very good at filibustering," Wallace remarked. "You still have not answered the question. You still have not answered the question. Israel must be wiped off the map. Why?"

"Well, don't be hasty sir," the president said. "I'm going to get to that."

Somehow he never got around to answering that question.

:Shrug:

It must have slipped his mind.

So, until he answers that....I only have these words to rely on...FROM MONDAY for god's sakes...lol....

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/comments.php?nav_id=37938

"Israel is destined for destruction and it will disappear soon," Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday.

Speaking to government ministers in Teheran, Ahmadinejad said that the world's powers created "the Zionist regime" to increase their dominance in the region and that Israel "slaughters Palestinians on a daily basis."

The Iranian president added that since Israel was "a contradiction to nature, we foresee its rapid disappearance and destruction."

and one of his other greatest hits...

"Like it or not, the Zionist regime is heading toward annihilation," Ahmadinejad said. "The Zionist regime is a rotten, dried tree that will be eliminated by one storm," he said.

Ahhhhhh....I'm sure he doesn't mean it though.

But I understand why the Israelis might get a little nervous.

Just a little.

But I'm sure as my mom would say "It's nothing."

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:30 AM
sounds good.

sleep easy.

Thank you, sir.

I will.

Your work here is done!!

All is well!

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
glad i can help.

one more link for you:

TIME: You have been quoted as saying Israel should be wiped off the map. Was that merely rhetoric, or do you mean it?

Ahmadinejad: [...] Our suggestion is that the 5 million Palestinian refugees come back to their homes, and then the entire people on those lands hold a referendum and choose their own system of government. This is a democratic and popular way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_and_Israel

sleep easy.

gnite.

total nations in 367 years:

zero.

gnite.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:46 AM
sleep easy.

gnite.

zero.

gnite.

A. Don't know how that quote is supposed to alleviate "wiped off the map" fears. But whatever. (shhhh..don't tell anyone, but Israel isn't going to let 5 million come back and choose their own government. You negotiated that with me or are you now reneging like Arafat?)
B. You really don't know anything about sports. If you tell me Mariano Rivera hasn't blown a save in 34 chances, I go... "Oh boy, all streaks come to an end." I wish they'd invaded someone somewhere along the line. 367-0 goes against all statistical probabilities.

"Zero in 367." Yeah and Quantas never crashed until 9.23.99.

Does not inspire confidence at all. Inspires more fear. Well done. Not to mention that I don't think they're going to invade anyone else either. They're just going to launch nukes and sit back. Duh.

G'nite.

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:49 AM
geez billy, you act dense.

you showed yourself a few posts up, that he wants the zionist regime wiped out. regime.

that quote i showed from wiki explains that he wants a referundum after the palestinian refugees come back, to let every1 decide what sort of state they want.

now i know to some israelis and jews, that israel must be jewish and have a jewish majority, but saying that he wants a referendum does not mean he wants to kill jews. it means he doesnt believe israel has to be a jewish state.

this entire thing about them being such a massive threat is a load of BS and once again you fell for it hook line and sinker.

what is that phrase the prez screwed up?

"fool me once, shame on you?"

fool me twice....?

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:52 AM
In November 2005 Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei, rejecting any attack on Israel, called for a referendum in Palestine:

We hold a fair and logical stance on the issue of Palestine. Several decades ago, Egyptian statesman Gamal Abdel Nasser, who was the most popular Arab personality, stated in his slogans that the Egyptians would throw the Jewish usurpers of Palestine into the sea. Some years later, Saddam Hussein, the most hated Arab figure, said that he would put half of the Palestinian land on fire. But we would not approve of either of these two remarks. We believe, according to our Islamic principles, that neither throwing the Jews into the sea nor putting the Palestinian land on fire is logical and reasonable. Our position is that the Palestinian people should regain their rights. Palestine belongs to Palestinians, and the fate of Palestine should also be determined by the Palestinian people. The issue of Palestine is a criterion for judging how truthful those claiming to support democracy and human rights are in their claims. The Islamic Republic of Iran has presented a fair and logical solution to this issue. We have suggested that all native Palestinians, whether they are Muslims, Christians or Jews, should be allowed to take part in a general referendum before the eyes of the world and decide on a Palestinian government. Any government that is the result of this referendum will be a legitimate government

that's the ayatollah saying that he will recognize israel if it's what the palestinians want.

and every1 except for some fox news pundits knows that the ayatollah is actually in charge of things.

thank you.

now go listen to enya with your iranian friends.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
that quote i showed from wiki explains that he wants a referundum after the palestinian refugees come back, to let every1 decide what sort of state they want.

Great analysis, Bravo and a helluva plan. Thanks.

So when Israel doesn't let the refugees back EVER, Amadinijead will do what?

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Great analysis, Bravo and a helluva plan. Thanks.

So when Israel doesn't let the refugees back ever, Amadinijead will do what?

continue giving speeches?

Bravo
11-16-2006, 08:59 AM
p.s what did dr. phil say again? "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior".

zero invasions.

how many has israel and the US had just in the last 50 years?

hmmm.....

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 09:00 AM
continue giving speeches?

Hey, yeah, let's let Iran get nukes and keep our fingers crossed on that.

Excellent plan, sir.

Get some sleep. This kind of world diplomacy must be tiring to you.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 09:01 AM
p.s what did dr. phil say again? "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior".

zero invasions.

how many has israel and the US had just in the last 50 years?

hmmm.....

I told you.

Iran isn't going to INVADE anyone.

They'll just set the place up in a fiery storm.

Dr. Phil is right.

I expect no INVASION from Iran.

Bravo
11-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey, yeah, let's let Iran get nukes and keep our fingers crossed on that.

Excellent plan, sir.

Get some sleep. This kind of world diplomacy must be tiring to you.

yea keep threatening them thatll work better. keep talking about regime change and about how we're ready to nuke em for their attempt to get nukes.

maybe even take down their two most hated enemies just to see what happens.

brilliant.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 09:04 AM
And even Dr. Phil would throw that statment out when counseling a couple who's never had any domestic violence, but for some reason the husband is so angry that he's saying "I just want to choke her sometimes. I want throw her out of the car."

"You've never done that?"

"No, but I want to so bad!"

"Well, don't beat yourself up. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Mary, I don't think you have anything to worry about."

:eye roll:

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 09:06 AM
yea keep threatening them thatll work better. keep talking about regime change and about how we're ready to nuke em for their attempt to get nukes.

You have everything mixed up. No nuking of Iran. Bombing to take out their nuclear capabilities. The only nuking I've ever seriously mentioned was in response to a 50,000 dead on the streets of NYC scenario.

Please keep these things straight.

Thank you.

Good night.

robeiae
11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
glad i can help.

one more link for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_and_Israel

sleep easy.

gnite.

zero.

gnite.Are you just yanking Billy's chain, Bravo, or are you being serious? I ask that because you seem pretty willing to accept Ahmadinejad at his word in this instance and ignore the other things he says, or at last accept that these other things don't mean what they appear to mean. We (meaning pretty much all of us) generally don't even cut our own leaders that much slack.

oswann
11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Putin will take care of it.

Oh dear.

Os.

oswann
11-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one to think Putin is a raving, dictatorial lunatic?

Os.

robeiae
11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Am I the only one to think Putin is a raving, dictatorial lunatic?I think he's an untrustworthy, dictatorial bastard, so maybe.

oswann
11-16-2006, 07:38 PM
You say tomatoes...

Os.

English Dave
11-16-2006, 07:45 PM
You say tomatoes...

Os.

How about a compromise? Butin?

robeiae
11-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Chitin. :D

oswann
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
How about a compromise? Butin?

We have Christine Boutin. (http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/tribun/fiches_id/632.asp)

I don't think it's really a compromise.

Os.

English Dave
11-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Chitin. :D

Blitler? :D

TheGaffer
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Poutine?

oswann
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Poutine?

This is what the French actually call him.

Os.

robeiae
11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
All Putin wants is for us to mind our own business.I disagree. Putin wants everything he can get. I do agree that he is smart and calculating, but those calculations are made wtih his interests in mind, no one else's--imo, of course.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 11:09 PM
All questions about Putin will be answered in 2008 when he has to step down from office.

If he steps, he awight in my book.

If he sticks, time to take him out.

English Dave
11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
All questions about Putin will be answered in 2008 when he has to step down from office.

If he steps, he awight in my book.

I have it on good authority he is stepping away and buying Tottenham Hotspur.

MacAllister
11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
All questions ... will be answered in 2008 when he has to step down from office.

. . .

I've heard liberals saying that same thing. Amazing.

Of course, they weren't talking about Putin. But still, the parallels. Wow.

billythrilly7th
11-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, that's one of my favorite litmus tests for someone on the left.

"I can't wait for Bush to leave office."

Okay, fair enough. Normal democrat.

"I bet Bush won't leave office in 2008."

Okay....good luck with that theory.

Thank you.

TheGaffer
11-16-2006, 11:59 PM
I bet he or Cheney leaves before the end of 2007.

billythrilly7th
11-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I bet he or Cheney leaves before the end of 2007.

That's not much of a stretch. Cheney could drop dead at any time.

TheGaffer
11-17-2006, 12:26 AM
That's not much of a stretch. Cheney could drop dead at any time.

Not drop dead. Leave. Leave prior to dropping dead, let's say. I get a 3-month cushion. If Cheney leaves in June and dies in 2009, I still get the prize.

You determine the prize. 100 copies of "The Way to Win: How Movie Quotes Changed America," by William J.R.R. "Cha-Cha" Thrilly VII would be a nice start.

billythrilly7th
11-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Not drop dead. Leave. Leave prior to dropping dead, let's say. I get a 3-month cushion. If Cheney leaves in June and dies in 2009, I still get the prize.

You determine the prize. 100 copies of "The Way to Win: How Movie Quotes Changed America," by William J.R.R. "Cha-Cha" Thrilly VII would be a nice start.

Okay, but it's not finished. I have to wait until Rocky VI comes out at Christmas to put the final touches on the book.

This is what I get...

You start a thread in Office Party...

"God Bless the Yankees, the Greatest Baseball Team of All Time."

And then your first post.

"Long live the blessed New York Yankees."

Deal?

blacbird
11-17-2006, 01:19 AM
I have it on good authority he is stepping away and buying Tottenham Hotspur.

Wouldn't he feel more comfortable with Man United, or Arsenal?

caw

English Dave
11-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Wouldn't he feel more comfortable with Man United, or Arsenal?

caw

:roll:

Should explain Americans have bought Man U and Arabs have bought Arsenal

TheGaffer
11-17-2006, 02:07 AM
You start a thread in Office Party...

"God Bless the Yankees, the Greatest Baseball Team of All Time."

And then your first post.

"Long live the blessed New York Yankees."

Done.

And I imagine you can guess the thread you will start in Office Party will be if I win? It isn't hard. Follow your lead there.

billythrilly7th
11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Done.

And I imagine you can guess the thread you will start in Office Party will be if I win? It isn't hard. Follow your lead there.

I thought we agree that you are getting my book?

And please tell me the bet again...I didn't quite understand it.

Simply, Cheney leaves office before the term is up but not by dying?

blacbird
11-17-2006, 03:07 AM
Should explain Americans have bought Man U and Arabs have bought Arsenal

Crystal Palace is probably out of the question, though.

caw

English Dave
11-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Crystal Palace is probably out of the question, though.

caw
True.

TheGaffer
11-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Simply, Cheney leaves office before the term is up but not by dying?

Yes. If he leaves in Nov. 2007, and dies 3 weeks later, I lose. If he dies in Feb. 2008, I win. And you proclaim the glory of the Mets in a Office Party message. (Bush counts too. One of those 2 leaving.)

billythrilly7th
11-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Yes. If he leaves in Nov. 2007, and dies 3 weeks later, I lose. If he dies in Feb. 2008, I win. And you proclaim the glory of the Mets in a Office Party message. (Bush counts too. One of those 2 leaving.)

Deal.

:Hug2:

Jean Marie
11-17-2006, 09:08 PM
maybe cheney and putin can run for something, together, somewhere. not here, though. I'm thinking someplace far, far away. starting their own planet sounds good.

don't take iran out, yet. they're doing great work on stem cell research. too bad we aren't. I'm not happy about them putting us to shame in that department. it's sad. we should be making strides that are light years ahead...

dclary
11-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Was this the "The UN is worthless" thread?

I forget.

Anyway:

http://images.beliefnet.com/imgs/features/pol_cartoon/peaceindarfur_480.gif

billythrilly7th
11-18-2006, 07:26 AM

90% of the threads, including the Naomi Campbell one(I can make a case) are built upon the foundation that the UN is worthless.

I dream of a world where we don't have threads. The UN actually does something and we all look around going...:Shrug:..lets head over the Writer's Pavillion, get some lunch, check out the gift shop and redeem some of our rep points.

So, uh. Yeah. This one works.

greglondon
11-18-2006, 07:58 PM

I forget.

No, this is the "The UN is worthless despite all evidence" thread.

the forgetting part is just selective memory deleting pieces that
don't agree with your preconcieved notions of the UN.

But hey, don't let the rand corporation ruin your fantasy.

dclary
11-18-2006, 10:40 PM
No, this is the "The UN is worthless despite all evidence" thread.

the forgetting part is just selective memory deleting pieces that
don't agree with your preconcieved notions of the UN.

But hey, don't let the rand corporation ruin your fantasy.

Yeah, you should talk, Mr. "I only read every other word in your posts so I can make sure they look one sided."

greglondon
11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, you should talk, Mr. "I only read every other word in your posts so I can make sure they look one sided."

And that political cartoon you posted above was attempting
to portray -both- sides of the UN?

dclary
11-18-2006, 11:13 PM
And that political cartoon you posted above was attempting
to portray -both- sides of the UN?

Just the most accurate one.

SC Harrison
11-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Just the most accurate one.

In their defense, the Peacekeepers' mission is a third-party humanitarian one, not to bolster the underdog in a civil war. That being said, another part of their mission is to keep conflict from overflowing the borders of another country; their virtual absence from the border area between Darfur and Chad is a dereliction of their charter, especially considering the extra 60 million Congress allocated in May for (UN) Darfur Peacekeeping.

dclary
11-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Actually, I think (IIRC) that the original argument is that as a whole, the UN has been a complete and utter disaster as an organization. We can find far more massive global-scale corruption and scandal associated with them than we can successes, and they haven't been able to accomplish any of the goals of their charter in more than 60 years.

English Dave
11-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Actually, I think (IIRC) that the original argument is that as a whole, the UN has been a complete and utter disaster as an organization. We can find far more massive global-scale corruption and scandal associated with them than we can successes, and they haven't been able to accomplish any of the goals of their charter in more than 60 years.

You don't have to look Global. I think the USA get the Gold.