The slug line on page 22 and the action of that scene on 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozemeijer

What do you have to do when a slug line is on for example page 23 and the action of that particular scene on page 23. Do I have to enter, or do I leave at it is? :|

I don't use finaldraft but a template in words.

Optimus Maximus

Re: The slug line on page 22 and the action of that scene on

I used to do my scripts in MS Word, too. It sucks.

Big time.

And, you get really sick of hitting that damned TAB key.

But, I digress...

Your slug needs to be with your action/narrative block. You can do this a number of ways. See if you could cut a line from somewhere in the scene previous to the slug. Or, just space down the slugline until it appears on the next page.

Whatever you do, just make sure that your slugline is never "orphaned" from its narrative.

Rozemeijer

I thought so too that you can't split the line with the action. But I just wasn't sure. Thanks

dpaterso

Try this:

Select Format
Select Style
When the list of styles appear select SCENE HEADING or whatever the slugline style is called
Select Modify button
Select Format button
Select Paragraph
Select Line and Page Breaks tab
tick "Keep with next"
and confirm with OK, OK, Apply, OK until it takes.

...which will ensure all your sluglines stay "attached" to the action paragraph immediately following.

You can repeat the above for the CHARACTER style so it stays with its following dialog. And experiment with the "Keep lines together" option which I apply to ACTION and DIALOG styles so they don't split over pages.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Writing Again

Glad I use Sophocles: It just does it.

dpaterso

If I hadn't won software in a contest I'd still be using Word. There's no way I'd pay rip-off prices for what amounts to basic text formatting software, unless some paying deal required me to (and paid enough to compensate for having to buy the software).

-Derek
-----------------------​

Writing Again

Sophocles gives you a trial version for free that you can use indefinitely while you are mastering the craft.

Full version only costs $120 when you feel you are ready.

I went ahead and bought mine just to encourage them.

dpaterso

The Sophocles trial version lasts 90 days then you're obliged to register to continue, since whatever you've created can't be read by anything else. No problems with that concept, trial-then-register is fairly standard these days. But despite its lower cost (compared to others) it's still a basic text formatting package, so the price tag seems high to me especially when freebie alternatives are available.

How about sending me $120 to encourage me? ;)

-Derek
-----------------------​

joecalabre

never mind

NikeeGoddess

$120 is not much to complain about. what a small investment if you're really serious about getting the format right. if you can't afford it then ask mommy to buy it for you. she just might do it!

and yes final draft and movie magic cost much more but they also give you much more....like sample scripts from tv shows and hasslefree wga registration, and online tech support. they're also in programs that all major and most minor producers will have at their office.

dave trottier (the screenwriter's bible) has recently released his own screenwriting software for $99. i'm sure he has everything you need.

when i finally made the investment for screenwriting software it was like heavy leaded rings were lifted off my fingers. ;)

write on!

Writing Again

The Sophocles trial version lasts 90 days then you're obliged

I don't know about 90 days, I'm still running the trial version on my main computer after over a year. I lost the one with my password on it and haven't bothered to retrieve mine yet.

Sorry, Derek, you seem to be a really nice person, but they provide free software to a person who cannot afford to buy any for an indefinite time... As I say I've used mine for over a year now...so the person can learn the trade. This is great for kids to learn on. Adults too if they are broke.

True, it has a couple of drawbacks, like you have to buy it to be able to put your script into submittable form, but who can complain about that?

When you do something that charitable then I will try to encourage you as well.

scripter1

back on topic

Shorten the script.
Go back several pages and see what you can tighten up, what you can shorten, what can be taken out.
When in doubt, simplify.

You may know this but then again you may not-

Don't page break a sentence either.

dpaterso

WA, I can't argue with that!

When I hit the 90 days mark the splash panel prompted me to register and wouldn't continue unless I did. Maybe I overlooked some other option? But I recall spending time trying to find a way round it, and failing. Shrug, maybe it's just me.

Understand, I wasn't trying to argue with you in previous posts, I was more concerned that anyone using the trial version might encounter the same problem as I did.

If there is no problem, if it's just me having a "d'oh!" moment, then www.sophocles.net is obviously the way to go! MS Word users take note!

-Derek
-----------------------​

Writing Again

All I've ever run into is when I first start up Sopocles is a window that says:

"Thanks for trying Sophocles!

In this trial version of the program, printing and other functionality are disabled. If you decide to register, you'll receive n unlock code to activate the disabled functionality.

To learn more visit us online at www.sophocles.net"

Below that are three buttons that say:

"Run trial version (close this reminder window)"

"Purchase Sophocles"

"Request new unlock code"

I press run trial version and write away.

Someday, when I write something worth bragging about I'll have to get a new unlock code.

kojled

rm

slugline and first line of narrative must be together. if you are using word, wait until you have the final draft before paginating.

otherwise, get final draft of something similar

zilla

Rozemeijer

Thanks, everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.