Finally got up the nerve to let someone read...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lkjiop

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Showing your work to other people, especially for the first time, is a hideously nerve-wracking experience. But it must be done. Part of me is calmer about sending my work out to strangers (editors and publishers) than handing it to friends and family. It's just scary.

The good news is the more you show your work to people, the easier it gets. Don't fret.

I hope your neighbours love it!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
kimmi 57 said:
Well I don't know if this is an accomplishment or not so feel free to move it...Just got to thinking how am I ever going to publish when I won't even show it to anyone, for fear and rejection... Now I'm flip flopping, excited, doubtful, hopeful...thinking I may hole up in my house for awhile, and if I did the right thing...
That took a lot of nerve for me, so we'll see. Has anyone else ever had this problem? kimmi
I have the same problem, and seriously think I may never publish. This summer I had a friend read my novel. She is blunt and I knew she would point out flaws, discrepancies, etc. She finished and told me everything I needed to hear and know. As a whole, she liked it, which was a huge relief.

Anyways, I know how hard it is to have someone read your book, your soul, but you did it once and will do it again - baby steps. Congratulations!

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Kudos on taking that step, Kimmi. It's so important to get an objective evaluation of our work from readers. I sure hope your neighbors have lots of good things to say about yours. Do let us know! :)

Sury

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congrats on working up your nerve! I think this is something we all have to do at some point in the game. You have opened a door. Wise choice! Good luck with the results and congratulations on taking the step!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Your encouragement got me moving and I am in the process of sending out 6 more queries today!
Meanwhile I am anxiously waiting to hear back from my neighbors, like a kid waiting for Christmas...