A Novel way to rewrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

I'm nearing my 12th rewrite and with each rewrite it is becoming a real pain, if you know what I mean. But with each rewrite, the screenplay is improving.

I've done the checklist method of rewriting, the speaking out loud method, and over the weekend I discovered a new method that has yielded far greater results.

This method may not be for everyone but it is sure working for me.

It is novelizing your screenplay. Sure it's a lot of time and effort, but for me anyway, it is paying big dividends.

I've been able to enrich my scenes and get into the head of my characters. I could go on and on but you get the drift.

Has anyone else tried this method? I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with it.

NikeeGoddess

for rewriting purposes...
you should invest in a couple of screenwriting books:
The Screenwriters' Problem Solver & The Screenwriter's Workbook - both by Syd Field

rewrite on!

SimonSays

Linda Seger's Making a Good Script Great is also really useful.

FJ&G - are you doing these rewrite in a vacuum or have you been getting feedback from people who have a good understanding of story and character?

I realize we all have our own individual creative process, but the fact that at rewrite #11 you are "novelizing your script" has set off certain warning bells for me.

If you have not gotten some feedback from people who are objective and knowledgable (i.e. no family members, friends or significant others unless they are writers, directors or English teachers), you might want to do so before you start draft #12.

FJ and G

I feel like lying on the sofa as I'm being analyzed.

Yes, I've read the Problem Solver and used it.

Yes, I've gotten feedback and used it.

I only offer this way of rewriting as a technique that worked for me. If you haven't tried it before, why knock my method?

Everyone has a different way of doing things.

Just because your method is the tried and true method doesn't mean that it's the only method. That kind of thinking is narrow, IMO.

SimonSays

A little defensive FJG.

I acknowledged we all have our own processes. I didn't say my method was tried and true. I didn't even say what MY method for rewrites is.

But since you are posting it as a suggestion for others. Let me just say to them before they consider going that way - that not only is it a lot of work, as Joe pointed out, but you are probably better off approaching your rewrites as a screenplay rather than trying to fix your screenplay by turning it into a novel. There are inherent differences between the two and it can, it may not, but it CAN, hurt the script in the end.

I'm glad it's working for you FJG - good luck with rewrite 12, 13 and 14.

seeb55

FJ,
I too have found that turning my screenplays into novels is working out well for me. But as others have pointed out, it's probably not for everyone. For me it has been especially gratifying because instead of ending up with an unfinished product (movie outline), instead I'm ending up with a manuscript which can be shared as a finished story. I'm also finding my characters are having more depth, which ironically helped me to trim some fat from the screenplay version because the character's dialogue was so character specific. Anyway so you asked for other's experiences, and that's mine so far. I in no way suggest that others should try and or use this technique. But for me, I've found something to fill that unfulfilled feeling that SOMETIMES goes with screenwriting. (not getting produced, not reaching your audience, not being able to share your story, not having a finished product, etc.)

JustinoXV

F, the biggest insult that someone can give your screenplay is to say it reads like a novel or literature. It means you don't know screenplay format or structure.

So keep that in mind as you rewrite.

As for doing all the rewriters, while you obviously must send in a good script, prodcos consider all scripts send in first drafts. Even if they purchase a script, it is going to have to be rewritten by you or other writers.

I mention this because I think some writers maybe hypercritical of their own work. Obsession towards a vague perfection means you might not be able to submit. It's better to get your script to the point where you it is finished (or finished for now), and then move on to your next script. Producers and agents will give you more attention if you have more scripts under your belt. (And yes, Simon, I know you got a deal on your very first script, wonderful, but a lot of writers took quite a bit of time and had at least several scripts)

This isn't aimed at you personally, but towards some writers in general.

joecalabre

Simon is right.

Novels work on so many levels that a screenplay can't.

You may end up doing more harm than good.

My big concern, is that at 12 rewrites, I would assume your story is pretty much complete with story, characters, plot in place.

Unless you need to go back and do a major, major overhaul, you should be working to tighten the script, adjust beats, refine your characters and fix any logic flaws.

Doing a novelization is something to do, if that's what you want to, early on in the game, to get a better feel for your characters and explore the world you've created.

That's my two cents on the subject, but again, if it works for you-- go for it.

I know someone who tunes up his car each year by taking the whole engine apart and cleaning every peice before putting it back together. It's not the easiest way to tune up an engine, but he's gotten 200,000 miles on that sucker.

FJ and G

Sorry Simon, didn't eat my back meds yet. Thanks for your suggestions and others.

No matter which way you look at rewrites, it's HARD work!

kojled

fj/g

good for you

(try to ignore non-objective and/or idiotic responses - it's status quo for discussion boards)

zilla

joecalabre

Justino has brought up a good point.

Some people obsess over thier work, much like people who have plastic surguries to the point they look like Micheal Jackson.

Unless you get rejection letters with specific comments for change, I wouldn't keep doing rewrites upon rewrites on a project.

Keep submitting it and work on other scripts.

Sgt Spanky

Did you say 12 re-writes? :eek

Holy bananas! The most re-writes I've ever had to do to get a script in its best shape so far has been four and I've written half a dozen scripts.

Twelve seems a bit much. You sure you're not just obsessing at this point?

Just asking.

scripter1

FJ, you may need to take a real serious look at your story and face up to what IT wants to be.
You may have a powerful novel on your hands but a really difficult movie.

Some stories just need too much explaining, too many words to bring everything out and will ONLY work in novel format.
Some writers can really ONLY work in novel, full length, book format.

At this point I would suggest one of two things.
Either set the work aside and let it sit for two weeks while you go do other things. Let your mind try to work out the script's problems without any pressure from "the screen writer." Then come back at it with more mature eyes. Maybe even set it aside for longer while you work on other stories, or until you get that sudden rush of inspiration and know exactly what to do.

OR go ahead and write the novel. See if you are happier with that form of writing and then give up screenwriting. It may help de-stress you.

Either way, I hope you end up happy with the results.

Books sometimes do make great movies but it rarely goes the other way, movies into books.

FJ and G

seeb55,

Glad it worked for you as well.

Goes to show that some things work for some people.

joecalabre

I'm not sure, but it looks like seeb55 did a novelization early in the writing stage from an outline and not the 12th draft of a what would be considered a polished screenplay. Normally a rewrite lasts a few drafts and then there are several polishes. The your'e done unless someone tells you otherwise (and that would be someone with a check)

I can see you doing a novelization before or even after a first draft and it may be a great way of exploring your world and characters, but by draft 12 you should be trimming, honing and fine tuning the script and shopping it around. Starting a novel version of the script at any stage is an arduous and time consuming task that can be better spent on writing other scripts and marketing what you have now.

Unless you have gotten extensive notes for change from an interested agent or producer, I wouldn't be wasting so much effort and time on further major drafts or novelizing the script.

Again, I'm not telling you that what you are doing is wrong and if it works great, but I have come across so many writers who obsess over thier work so much that they never acomplish anything except have 1 script written in years when they should have done more in the same amount of time. I just am warning you of the many pitfalls that a writer faces.

Writing Again

I do it the other way around. I'm a novelist who finds that adapting the novel to a screenplay gives me a fresh look at the novel. It also helps me to learn screenwriting.

I once wrote a short story 37 times. I wasn't trying to polish the story for publication, I was trying to master POV. It never sold, I don't think I ever submitted it, but man did I ever learn a lot.

FJ and G

Writing Again,

Yes, it broadens your perspective no matter which way you do it.

Actually, when I was novelizing, I tried writing it present tense like the screenplay but after 20 pages went back and made everything past tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.