Do Studios Pay For Accomadation etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty T

I was just wondering, when actors are on location filming in New Zealand for example. Does the studio pay for all their accomadation and food etc or do they actors have to pay for all that themselves

MrJayVee

Who pays?

The studio/production company pays expenses (travel, accommodations, food) for the actors AND the crew. Actors (and usually crew) will also get what is known as a "per diem" -- a set amount paid each day to cover miscellaneous expenses. Believe me, it's a good deal.

NikeeGoddess

Re: Who pays?

in New Zealand - yes they do pay b/c it's cheap to live down there. but, in NYC the actors are on their own. :rolleyes

SimonSays

Re: who pays?

It depends on many things including the overall budget and the magnitude of the star.

If it's Julia Roberts - they'll rent her a penthouse aparment and fly in her personal trainer as needed - if the budget allows.

With Full Frontal, the budget was so small, i think the actors wore their own clothes.

The smaller the budget, the more likely they'll use as much local talent and crew as possible to keep the travel and per diems costs down.

JustinoXV

"in New Zealand - yes they do pay b/c it's cheap to live down there. but, in NYC the actors are on their own."

Not necessarily. I've interned on productions where they paid for actors to fly from out of town and put them up in hotels in NYC.

However, there are a lot of small paying productions in NYC, theatre, etc that would only deal with local actors and don't have the budget to fly Halle Berry into town.

So it all depends.

NikeeGoddess

wow - you failed to see the sarcasm in my answer :rolleyes

[[[the NikeeGoddess just shakes her head]]]

scripter1

What I'm interested in knowing, since I'm a writer, and this is a site for writers,

Would they pay ME to fly from Indiana and pay for my hotel and my taxis so I can take a meeting with a studio?

I know eventually you got to be in LA, but what about the first time?

Also, how is the Internet and cell/video phones changing things? Will a video conference eventually be the norm and then a writer can be from any where in the world?

NikeeGoddess

scripter - no one is paying you for nuthin'!!!

you pay....but you'll be so excited that a studio wants to meet with you that you won't care about the price of the plane ticket. ;)

and video conference will not replace the cozy face to face meeting. they want to know how you smell. :b

scripter1

I'm hoping the hubby will still be employed with an airline so I can fly out to LA for free!!! :D

JustinoXV

"I'm hoping the hubby will still be employed with an airline so I can fly out to LA for free!!! "

I hope he is, too. But it really won't matter, because if a major studio wanted to meet with you, you'd find away to fly out there.:D

NikeeGoddess

you can always hitch hike and gather material for you next road flick ;) and i'm sure if you don't have a bike that your kid has one. makes the ride that much easier if it has training wheels too. :lol

scripter1

It does!!!
It's pink and purple and has those streamers coming from the handle bars.

On a serious note, yes, were a studio to invite me out for a meeting I sure as heck would find a way.

Writing Again

My bike has training wheels. It also has a VW engine and a Harley front end. I wanted to put a rumble seat in the back but had to settle for something less...Oh well.

However in the winter time I'll drive my van.

SimonSays

Scripter - I think that per the WGA MBA's writers are entitled to access to the set.

This does not mean that the producers are under any obligation to fly you to Tahitii and cover your costs to have that access.

If for some reason they need you on location to do a rewrite (then they would pay for your travel and accomodations) But it is very rare that a writer's presence are needed on the set - most rewrites can be done from anywhere and emailed or faxed.

scripter1

"- most rewrites can be done from anywhere and emailed or faxed."

Technology can be both a blessing AND a curse.

I'd like to go to Tahiti some day.

Writing Again

I'd like to go to Tahiti some day.

A man called up and said, "You and your family have just won an all expense paid trip to the Caribbean."

My wife replied, "Too hot. Call me back when I've won a trip to Alaska."

Status
Not open for further replies.