Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Hey all,

I gave a talk on November 4th at the Conceptual Structure, Discourse, and Language conference here in San Diego. It was titled "The Evolving Parodies of Barbara Bauer: creating a shared narrative by co-constructing mental spaces"

Which is to say that it was about how we used parody in the chat-room as a way to deal with both real problems and general unhappiness while the forums were down.

The room was full, and some very cool people were there, and the talk was very well-received, so it was pretty great! A couple times, I put a slide up and everyone started laughing. :D

Anyway, a couple people have asked to see my slides, so I have them in pdf form here for anyone who'd like to see them:

ETA: I've taken the slides down due to recent developments. Sorry.

It's a linguistics talk, and I tend to not put everything on the slides when I talk, so I apologize if it's somewhat incomprehensible in places. :tongue:

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting all teary-eyed remembering those days. Those were fun.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet.

I wasn't there but I heard. A little [Y]ap told me. :D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb and I are good friends.
I have the dirt on you, Alan.
heh

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
One of the more amusing moments was talking about it afterwards to Mark Turner, who is a leading light of my field, and incidentally married to Newberry-winning author Megan Whalen Turner. He has a slightly different view of the whole writers-community thing than the rest ^-^

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Shweta said:
He has a slightly different view of the whole writers-community thing than the rest ^-^

And you're just going to keep us in suspense about what that view is?

Tell, tell!

I still think it's hilariously awesome that we were the subject of an academic speech. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
JennaGlatzer said:
And you're just going to keep us in suspense about what that view is?

Tell, tell!

Oh um. I wasn't trying to be suspenseful. Just, Mark knows what writers go through, (and actually so does my advisor, because she's close friends with several writers), and nobody else in the room really had a clue. That was all I actually meant.

So when I put up slides about what writing is like and why writers are vunerable to frauds, we had almost all the audience learning somehing new and one of the top people in the field giving me a knowing smirk.

I still think it's hilariously awesome that we were the subject of an academic speech. :)

:D
It's kind of cheating, of course, to use writers as an example of spontaneous creative coolness. But hey.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shweta said:
:roll:

If I get a Cease and Desist, I'll let you know.

Good luck. She didn't have the heart to send me a Cease and Desist letter. Probably because she soon had hundreds of other people to send them to. I feel so left out. :cry:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Birol said:
Good job.

Thank you.

:e2cloud9:

The best part is, it's done! Though, urk, I have to figure out if the conference has proceedings and if I have to write it up.:e2faint:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Quite a story

Shweta said:
Thank you.

:e2cloud9:

The best part is, it's done! Though, urk, I have to figure out if the conference has proceedings and if I have to write it up.:e2faint:

I had no idea that some agent could just shut down a writing website. How is that legally possible? How did you get the site back up?

And think how discursively twisted it is that I had to figure that out from a cognitive linguistics presentation.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Sokal said:
I had no idea that some agent could just shut down a writing website. How is that legally possible? How did you get the site back up?

And think how discursively twisted it is that I had to figure that out from a cognitive linguistics presentation.

Someone with a better memory of events will probably come along, but IIRC, Babs threatened our server with a lawsuit, claiming libel because she was mentioned on the Bewares board and on the 20 Worst Agents list. The server caved, shut down the site.

It took time, and lots of sweat, blood, and tears from Jenna, Charlie, and the other Mods (plus a boatload of other wonderful folks), to get our database back.

All Babs succeeded in doing was getting her name and the 20 Worst Agents list Google-bombed all over the Web. We are all very proud about that. :D

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
My memory is that Babs complained about her email address being in a forum post, thus opening her to spammers. The same email address that's on her website.

I really majorly simplified for the talk. I only had 20 minutes. :)

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I have contemplated (seriously!) writing a roman a clef using the Barbarian Captivity as the basis, and then querying BeelzeBarb to represent it.

I just can't find the time.

Maybe we could do it collaboratively, in the spirit of Atlanta Nights.

Anybody game?:tongue

:D:D:D

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Zonk said:
You know, I have contemplated (seriously!) writing a roman a clef using the Barbarian Captivity as the basis, and then querying BeelzeBarb to represent it.

I just can't find the time.

Maybe we could do it collaboratively, in the spirit of Atlanta Nights.

Anybody game?:tongue

:D:D:D
Jeeze, count me in - whatta hoot!

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zonk, there's no way we aren't doing this without me. I started one for PA, but I didn't get around to finishing it because of an actual novel I was writing. Count me in! :D

Gillian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gillianpolack.com
As ever, I'm late - I had to wait till I got a chance to look at Schweta's slides. They were great, Schweta, and very perceptive - they made me look at us from an entirely different set of angles.

I'd love to hear about feedback and I hope you write it up as a paper. I write a bit about writers from time to time (but from a different academic angle, naturally) and really, really want to see what you have to say :).

Gillian

Status
Not open for further replies.