PDA

View Full Version : Entered my first contest!

wyntermoon
11-13-2006, 06:15 AM
I saw a post last week on the AW calendar regarding The Writing Fairy's Humor contest and took the leap tonight! Deadline is Monday, Nov. 13th, so send in your short pieces too!

I had it spiffied up in SYW if you'd like to take a peek:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=917579#post917579

Cross your fingers for me! :D

Link to The Writing Fairy contest: http://www.wsws.ca/thewritingfairy/index.php?page_id=7

CaroGirl
11-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Even though your avatar creeps me out, I will offer you boundless luck with your first contest submission. I hope you win the whole darn thing!

wyntermoon
11-13-2006, 07:15 AM
hehehehehe. Creeps me out too. I'm sure my daughters will make me change it tomorrow, lol.

Thanks! And congratulations on your short story contest win!

KTC
11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey Wynter!

I'm glad to hear you entered the contest. I was the one who posted the announcement. The Writing Fairy (Dorothea Helms) is a friend and a HUGE mentor of mine. I too entered this contest. I have no faith in my own entry...as I only entered to support the contest and I felt that the piece I entered was not very good. I will keep my fingers crossed for yours, though. I hope you win!

oarsman
11-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Best of luck to you Wyntermoon!!
ETA: Best of luck to you too KTC!

MajorDrums
11-13-2006, 05:57 PM
good luck!

wyntermoon
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Thank you all! :D

KTC -- thanks so much for posting the contest, I bet we take first and second!

CaroGirl
11-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Wynter!

I'm glad to hear you entered the contest. I was the one who posted the announcement. The Writing Fairy (Dorothea Helms) is a friend and a HUGE mentor of mine. I too entered this contest. I have no faith in my own entry...as I only entered to support the contest and I felt that the piece I entered was not very good. I will keep my fingers crossed for yours, though. I hope you win!
KTC, I hope you win the whole contest too (is that possible?). Good luck to you both.

And kudos to you, Kevin, for so generously sharing contest information (as always) and helping your fellow writers. Way to go, eh!

KTC
11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys! You're so nice. I know the feeling of winning a contest, so I'm really excited about others experiencing that elation. If you haven't entered yet, people, click on Wynter's link above. The deadline, I THINK, is 12pm tonight. You can pay and submit online.

Good luck again, Wynter. I'd love to find out that you won!

K

Kudra
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Good luck to all of you who're entering. Do post the results here.

:Thumbs:

piscesgirl80
11-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Good luck!:Thumbs:

Freckles
11-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Good thoughts your way!

AmyDoodle
11-14-2006, 08:11 AM
KTC, Where do you find all these cool contests? Okay, I'll admit it. I entered this one, too. Although after reading Wynter's story in Post Your Work, I wished I hadn't. It's hilarious! Here's to us, guys. Good luck to all.

KTC
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Lol. I read it too. It's a great and funny story.

Where do I find the contests? I'm a member of the WCDR...and a huge advocate for the group that has allowed me to write after so many years of listening to myself say that I can't. And the Writing Fairy is a fellow member of the WCDR. And I must be crazy sharing these contests with you people. I'm never going to win this way! (-;

Good luck to you too Amy!

wyntermoon
11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks ya'll! Believe it or not, that was a true-ish story! Syen did ask and started bringing in the dolls, lol.

Keep 'em coming, Kevin, I'm getting the itch to submit~~~ ;)

Good luck, Amy! I'd LOVE it if someone from AW won!

Melina
11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
That is sooooo great! Best of luck to all of you, and thanks again, Kevin!

Sury
11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
GOOD LUCK, Wynter and KTC! May you both win. :)

Sury

KTC
11-23-2006, 01:29 AM
OKAY, HERE'S THE PRESS RELEASE ANNOUNCING THE 10 FINALISTS. IS ANYONE FROM AW ON THAT LIST? LET US KNOW...

Hi everyone! Well, the initial judging is over, and the 10 finalist entries are winging their way to the three final judges: Gordon Kirkland, Debra McGrath and Neil Crone. Congratulations to all who entered - we had a hard time choosing because we were laughing so hard! We had nearly 200 entries, many of which were multiple submissions. One man even entered with five different pieces!

Eventually, choices had to be made, and I congratulate the following folks who made it into the final 10 with their entries. And it's not a mistake that there are only nine names - one of these creative people has TWO entries that made it into the top ten. And considering it was blind judging, that's pretty darned fabulous.

2006 FINALISTS:

Candace Allan of Calgary, Alberta
Carol Burnside of Calgary, Alberta
Lois Gordon of Sunderland, Ontario (WCDR member)
Mark Kearney of London, Ontario (PWAC member)
Jason MacRae of Cambridge, Ontario
E. Mitchell of Palatine, Illinois
Brian Mullen of Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Heather Tucker of Ajax, Ontario (WCDR member)
George Waters of Pasadena, California

We'll announce the winners on December 9th. Good luck to all of you!

wyntermoon
11-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Hey KTC! You be Brian and I'll be Candace and we'll bum rush the stage to get our prizes!

We'll gettum next time, tiger! ;) Thanks for letting us know!

AmyDoodle
11-23-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm not there, either. I can't wait to read the the winner, though. Keep trying Wynter. I loved your story!

writingmom
11-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Good luck an your story and hope you win ! Happy Thanksgiving to all !
If any of you know of any contests to enter please let me know also, I would love to try. writingmom..

writingmom
11-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Oh, do we get to read the winners submission ? that would be nice...

wyntermoon
11-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Amy and KTC, I'd love to see your entries, can you post it in SYW?

Hi writingmom! I found the contest posted by KTC at the bottom of the main AW Cooler page on our calendar. Check the calendar for all sorts of good things! I'm going to keep my eyes open for contests to post too, we can all help each other out. cough*world domination*cough

I believe we can see the winner's entry after December 9th on The Writing Fairy website (but I'm not sure. Kevin?)

KTC
11-23-2006, 03:52 AM
I like your idea, Wynter. Just call me Brian.

I do believe that the winner will be posted, yes...for perusal at the Writing Fairy's site.

I was hoping that some of the top 10 came from AW...so we could celebrate their good news.

I don't think I will be posting mine, for one reason. I wrote the piece a while back at almost 1500 words. The entry was 790. I wasn't happy with it. I think a lot of the funny got chopped in my attempt to fit it to the contest. Lesson learned. I was just happy supporting the contest. The Writing Fairy is a FANTASTIC LADY.

writingmom
11-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks Wyntermoon, It would be nice to help each other, I agree! I am currently working on my book and if I can find more sites out there I'll post here or if theres another forum you would rather I post at let me know.

writingmom
11-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi Brian, whats the dead-line for the D.S.,contest ?

writingmom
11-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Anyone from Ca,?

wyntermoon
11-23-2006, 04:11 AM
I believe you can add the contests/conferences/events to the calendar yourself or go through the calendar keeper person (who's name escapes me at the moment) if you prefer. Hmmm, do we have a contest forum that I've missed?

Bria.. er, KTC, stick those funny bits back in!

wyntermoon
11-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Hi Brian, whats the dead-line for the D.S.,contest ?

It's 11:59pm, Feb. 15th 2007. And not a minute after :)

KTC
11-23-2006, 03:24 PM
It's 11:59pm, Feb. 15th 2007. And not a minute after :)

lol. That's right. Since it's online, they can have exact cut-off time. Seems odd, but trust me...people take advantage of that deadline to the fullest! I actually ran the contest last year. I contacted the judges and sent out all the press releases and received all the entries and kept track of all the entries and payments, etc. It was extreme fun. You know, about an hour before the cut-off time I had a FLOOD of entries. It was an entire English class...about 25 entries. They come in right up until that last minute.

This year, I have absolutely nothing to do with the contest...so I am free to enter. And I think I'm going to take advantage of that.

I was thrown off for a second on that Brian thing! I am such a spaz!

AmyDoodle
11-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks for asking, Wynter. I posted my story in Share Your Work in a thread titled "Give me a nudge toward the finals." It's one I already had and I revamped it for this contest. Maybe I should have started fresh. Tell me what you think. My computer's undergoing surgery tonight, so I'll be in and out as I can for a day or two, but I'd appreciate any thoughts anybody has. Should I trash it or salvage it? Inquiring minds want to know!

wyntermoon
11-25-2006, 04:57 AM
heheh, I just happened to be in SYW when you posted! I thought it was great, left comments there on [perhaps] something to work on if you feel the need. :D Definitely use it, there's always another contest in the sea!

AmyDoodle
11-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks, Wynter, for the comments. :Thumbs: This was the weekend of the great computer crash for me, and I just got there to read everyone's comments. I've got some shiny, new ideas for reworking the piece. It's great to get a little help from friends!