Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When sending query letters at once, what is better?

The Buckshot approach, where you send more than one letter at a time? Is this rude?

Or to send one letter at a time? In case one of them had valuable feedback with a rejection?

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
You'll do better if you take your time and research each agent--and by research, I don't mean just look them up in the Writer's Market or go to their site and see what they take. Instead, find out who their clients are, particularly for writers that you've read, and mention that in the query. That does get extra brownie points because they get a lot of queries where it's obvious it's being mass mailed. In fact, two agents came to a writer's conference on a train together. They'd brought queries to catch up on the slush pile, and both had in their piles the same query letter from the same writer. :eek:

SeanDSchaffer

Linda Adams said:
You'll do better if you take your time and research each agent--and by research, I don't mean just look them up in the Writer's Market or go to their site and see what they take. Instead, find out who their clients are, particularly for writers that you've read, and mention that in the query. That does get extra brownie points because they get a lot of queries where it's obvious it's being mass mailed. In fact, two agents came to a writer's conference on a train together. They'd brought queries to catch up on the slush pile, and both had in their piles the same query letter from the same writer. :eek:

Thanks for the advice. I know you didn't intend it for me, but it is still worthwhile as I continue searching for agents to represent my own work. I will remember what you said, and I will do my best not to send identical queries any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.