Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Most of my life has been spent rocking out the generic aisle. Generic food, medicine, equipment, everything. I've learned to appreciate a good meal and a bad meal. I've learned to live off of "what we got", not "what we can get". I've never made extra runs to the store for something we didn't have, nor am I used to getting expensive gifts or a new pair of underwear every few months.

SO, now that I'm here in Richmond, I nearly had a heart attack. The relatives I'm staying with are LOADED. Not loaded in "loaded" terms, but loaded in MY terms. Everything is name brand, I have new clothes, make-up, and I got to make an amazing meal from scratch without having to compensate for anything. If I needed something, THEY WENT TO GET IT with no questions asked! Isn't that amazing!?!?!?!?!?! I made teriyaki chicken, vanilla poached pears, awesome green beans, flavored rice, and the best mango smoothies ever and NONE OF IT was packaged and none of it had weird ingredients because we didn't have anything else!! No Shake N Bake! No packaged instant Kroger brand rice!

Innit that great?! Screw my hometown, I'm friggin staying here. Poverty's nice, but... Wait, no it isn't! Ha!

Last edited:

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
Most of my life has been spent rocking out the generic aisle. Generic food, medicine, equipment, everything. I've learned to appreciate a good meal and a bad meal. I've learned to live off of "what we got", not "what we can get". I've never made extra runs to the store for something we didn't have, nor am I used to getting expensive gifts or a new pair of udnerwear every few months.

SO, now that I'm here in Richmond, I nearly had a heart attack. The relatives I'm stayin with are LOADED. Not loaded in "loaded" terms, but loaded in MY terms. Everything is name brand, I have new clothes, make-up, and I got to make an amazing meal from scratch without having to compensate for anything. If I needed something, THEY WENT TO GET IT with no questions asked! Isn't that amazing!?!?!?!?!?! I made teriyaki chicken, vailla poached pears, awesome green beans, flavored rice, and the best mango smoothies ever and NONE OF IT was packaged and none of it had weird ingredients because we didn't have anything else!! No Shake N Bake! No backaged instant Kroger brand rice!

In't that great?! Screw my hometown, I'm friggin staying here. Poverty's nice, but... Wait, no it isn't! Ha!

Tsuki that is awesome. I love that you are able to appreciate what most take for granted on a daily basis. Who knows maybe your next WIP will be a humorous cookbook....

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
That's awesome! I kinda know how that feels, not from staying with different relatives, but about halfway through my childhood my parents' business became successful, and we made a big jump in resources. Good for you!

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
You sure they're not just fattening you up for Thanksgiving Dinner?:D
Their house isn't made of gingerbread, is it?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy for you sweety. I've seen hard times and better times. It makes one appreciate the small things in life. For me, I love going to the cupboard and pulling out something I need and it's there. It hasn't always been that way for me. And I rarely buy things I don't need. It's usually by accident.

Enough about me!

I'm happy for you!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
the poverty parts are the interesting bits that will show up in your biography. Remember that.

I think it's high time for some teriyaki 'round this place too, thank yew.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
TsukiRyoko said:
If I needed something, THEY WENT TO GET IT with no questions asked! Isn't that amazing!?!?!?!?!?! I made teriyaki chicken, vailla poached pears, awesome green beans, flavored rice, and the best mango smoothies ever
Makes my Beef and Onion Casserole look like crap. But I'm still pleased for you! Enjoy it, but don't get too used to it; that way danger lies.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Good on you for the appreciation aspect of it. That particular trait seems to have been left out on the doorstep for so many.

On my way home from the Middle East, I'll stop in for a mango smoothie. ;-)

jt

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love that feeling, where the recipe says "powdered sugar" and you have friggin powdered sugar.

Still, being not-so-rich is pretty cool as well. While I like having what I need, I think living below the line is a richer life in general. If it weren't for living on a moneyless hill for most of my life, I would have never found writing. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Think of all you've learned, tho! How to make substitutions in cooking is a valuable talent. That you've learned to cook at all is wonderful! And with access to the internet, there's a world of recipes for you to try. Enjoy.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, believe me, learning to cook with creative substitutes is a must when you live around my area. It's a good gift to have, but any culinary teacher would roll over in their apron after seeing some of the stuff I've had to use to make meals work. (Anyone ever have to use sugar cookies to make hamburgers before? No? How about maple oatmeal in pumpkin pie?)

Status
Not open for further replies.