Starbucks Punctuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Say a character goes into Starbucks and orders a tall latte made with non-fat milk, just a little foam, sugar-free vanilla syrup, and decaf espresso. If it's ordered in coffee speak, here's how it would look:

"Tall decaf non-fat wet sugar-free vanilla latte."

Now, should it be:

"Tall decaf-non-fat-wet-sugar-free-vanilla latte" since every thing except for the size is a modifier of the noun "latte", therefore making the whole thing a long string of compound modifiers?

(By the way, I can spit out an order like that without thinking twice; sometimes the newer baristas have to ask me to explain.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wouldn't hyphenate it exceot as a informal way of hinting at fast delivery.

I never say the modifiers in the right order and it bugs me when the staff correct me....

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
you wouldnt say 'she is a strong-lovable-cute-funny woman' would you?

it should be "A tall decaf, non-fat, wet, sugar-free vanilla latte" comma is your friend, sugar

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.

It takes practice. You have no idea how many hours of my life I lost to that little brochure you can pick up at Starbuck's...

But, once you know it, the formula is easy:

1. Size
2. Number of shots (if none specified, you get the standard number. Say "quad" for four shots).
3. If you want decaf or half-caf, say so now.
4. Type of milk (if none specified, you get whole milk; skinny is used for non-fat colloquially but around here in NC non-fat is just fine).
5. Other modifiers (wet, dry, no foam, whip, no whip)
6. Type of drink.
7. If you intend to drink your coffee in the store and want a mug, go directly to number 2 and say "for here" at this time. Or, if you want to show off and want your drink to go, spit out "with legs."

Basically, if you want to really impress an especially snooty barista, order a:

Quad venti half-caf half-and-half no whip no foam extra hot raspberry mocha with legs.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What, really? All that to order from Starbucks? Seriously? Egads! Usually, my starbucks order goes, "Tea, and I'll put the bag in myself, thanks. Large."

I wouldn't last ten minutes in Seattle. :D

(er. Sorry. Off-topic.)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of my pet peeves (I had a nice long rant the other day in a Starbucks). I like sizes to be called small, medium and large (extra small and extra large are allowable). I like coffee to be strong, medium or mild. I like my choices to be sugar, milk or cream and the amount to be up to me.

I HATE Starbucks, et al, for making ordering coffee so complicated I need to read through a guide to do so.

Oh, and I agree with using commas to separate your descriptors, especially if you're going for making it all look completely ridiculous.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
This is one of my pet peeves (I had a nice long rant the other day in a Starbucks). I like sizes to be called small, medium and large (extra small and extra large are allowable). I like coffee to be strong, medium or mild. I like my choices to be sugar, milk or cream and the amount to be up to me.

I HATE Starbucks, et al, for making ordering coffee so complicated I need to read through a guide to do so.

Oh, and I agree with using commas to separate your descriptors, especially if you're going for making it all look completely ridiculous.

The main rationale behind the coffee speak was so that the order would be more concise and the baristas could clear lines quicker. You have to admit; for someone making a precise order such as the example I gave, it's much quicker to use the coffee speak than not.

And you can walk into starbucks and order a regular coffee. There's nothing to do about the sizes mind you, but if you walk in there and say "Regular coffee please" then you're safe; unless the barista is a snot.

And I'm happy with the comma suggestion, especially given the example of describing another person.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Going even further off topic (sorry) I've long had in mind writing a coffee table book on all of the uses of the name Starbuck to date from its original appearance to the coffee giant by way of Moby Dick and Battlestar Galactica... I think it would be a fun book.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
engmajor2005 said:
"Tall decaf non-fat wet sugar-free vanilla latte."

I'm going to order all my drinks "wet" from now on. :D

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Getting back to the original question, "Tall decaf-non-fat-wet-sugar-free-vanilla latte" gives an entirely different feeling than "A tall decaf, non-fat, wet, sugar-free vanilla latte". The second is undoubtedly correct, whilst the first isn't. However, if you want to give the impression of someone chanting it quickly (can one chant quickly?) I'd go for the first. If you want to give them impression of someone saying it in such a manner that it's more comprehensible, then the second fits the bill.

And Aghast--that's the first time I've seen you use punctuation! :)

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Oh, and furthermore, I hope the order is followed by "please". One of my pet peeves is people NOT saying "please" to servers, be they in Starbucks, MacDonalds, or a five-star restaurant. They expect a thank you and a smile in return, but lack the civility to say please.

End of rant.

And I know everyone here would say please.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sandi LeFaucheur said:
Oh, and furthermore, I hope the order is followed by "please". One of my pet peeves is people NOT saying "please" to servers, be they in Starbucks, MacDonalds, or a five-star restaurant. They expect a thank you and a smile in return, but lack the civility to say please.
End of rant.
And I know everyone here would say please.

I say please, I say thank you. I make friendly conversation. If they're busy, I am especially laid-back and non-demanding. I do not argue. I try to improve their days.

So you know. :)

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I say please, I say thank you. I make friendly conversation. If they're busy, I am especially laid-back and non-demanding. I do not argue. I try to improve their days.

So you know. :)

PeeDee, your mother should be proud of you. :D

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Kate Thornton said:
"wet"??? What's that? (In a coffee, I mean - isn't it all liquid??)

"Wet" is less foam. Conversely, "dry" is more foam.

I'm ALWAYS a customer service person's dream come true. I smile, I say "please" and "thank you," I don't engage them in long anecdotes or conversations that they don't seem interested in, I'm patient (even if I'm in a hurry) and I never, EVER, fuss at them for something that's out of their hands. And even when they blatantly screw up, I shrug it off and say "It's alright."

I work in customer service myself, so I know what it's like to be on the other side of the fence and how nice it is when somebody is pleasant. Oh, and I always try to be knowledgable about what I want; a customer that cannot articulate their desire and expects to have their mind read is about as rude and obnoxious as an iPod at a funeral.

And I supposed (getting back on topic) that improper punctuation could be used to create an effect (as it often is), but do you think that "talldecafnonfantsugarfreehazelnutlatte" is a bit pushing it? Just curious.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I usually walk up to the counter and say: "Do you have just regular black coffee?"

On-topic: I vote for commas rather than hyphens.

Misnomer

aghast said:
it should be "A tall decaf, non-fat, wet, sugar-free vanilla latte"
Am I the only one who thinks that there needs to be a comma after "tall"? They are separate modifiers, and therefore should be separated -- the latte is tall and decaf.

Yes? No? Maybe so? :)

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
God I LOVE Starbucks... my order is always..

Iced Mocha, nice and simple, but ohhh sooo yummy!

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
*make the mental note to cut out the Starbucks venue from my novel*

That conformity of thought is just scary.

KODB

Personally, this is why I go to Waffle House. They have coffee. That's how you order it. You say, "A cuppa coffee," and that's what they give you. They have decaf, too, but you have to specify. If you don't, they'll bring you the best, most consistently smooth, perk-up-your-eyes coffee ever served in a greasy spoon. They'll sometimes ask if you want cream, but they'll ALWAYS bring you some, and they'll trust you to add it yourself, and the sugar, too.

AND they'll call you darlin'. Or babe, or sugar....

They ain't got no baristas at the Waffle House. Don't need none, either.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
This is easily one of the funniest threads I've read at AW since I joined. :)

I had no idea Starbucks had literature explaining how to order drinks.

If you're having trouble, get yourself one of these:

starbucker.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.