How to format your screenplay for a telephone dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozemeijer

How do you put a telephone conversation in your screenplay. How do you format it. I know that are different way's to make it clear in a screenplay.

Rozemeijer

Can somebody close this topic. I've found the a large topic on page 12....sorry....lock it please.

dpaterso

Holy crap, Roz, when you ask questions like this, it's a sign that you absolutely must get yourself some reference books, as has been suggested previously. And/or, read produced scripts with telephone conversations!

Basic phone conversation, one person talking:
Code:
                       MIKE
               (into phone)
         Room service?  Mike Jones in Room 567.
         I want a crocodile sandwich, and make
         it snappy.
               (he listens)
         No, I agree, it wasn't a very good joke.
         Forget the sandwich, send up that blonde
         waitress, will you?
                (he listens)
         Well, screw you too!

He slams the phone down.
Two people talking but we don't see the other person, note use of V.O. (voice over):
Code:
                       MIKE
               (into phone)
          Hey Jimmy is that you?

JIMMY (V.O.)
          Yeah, who's this?

MIKE
          It's Mike!  Long time no call!
Two people talking, we see both parties:
Code:
                       MIKE
               (into phone)
          Hey Jimmy is that you?

INT. JIMMY'S APARTMENT - DAY

Jimmy slumps on his couch surrounded by pizza cartons and beer cans.

JIMMY
               (into phone)
          Yeah, who's this?

INTERCUT

MIKE
          It's Mike!  Long time no call!

Jimmy picks up a limp slice of pizza and licks it.

JIMMY
          Hey, yeah, Mike, long time...

(...phone conversation continues until new scene or END INTERCUT appears)
Hope it helps. Anyone should feel free to jump in and correct the error of my ways, I am not a professional screenwriter.

Edited to add:
OK, you found it, and you have a book, ignore me. :p

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Writing Again

We can have much more interesting phone conversations now that we have cell phones and people can be shopping, walking through crowded subways, or watching two camels humping at the zoo while they talk on the phone.

However I consider phone conversations even more boring than tea drinking scenes in the kitchen and try to avoid them.

dpaterso

WA, points taken. On the positive side, they're useful for summoning help and suchlike which kicks off subsequent action. Or for making anonymous and frightening threats which ups tension. Like 'em or not, the fact they exist everywhere (as you point out) means we can't just ignore them, so we're probably talking judicious and practical use thereof. If you can avoid a phone conversation, avoid it -- "live" action between characters is always more interesting. Which is probably exactly what you're saying.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could stop procrastinating and get some writing done today...

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

NikeeGoddess

well, since this thread is still up and i'm procrastinating too....

last 2 phone flicks: PhoneBooth - they were removing the last payphone in NYC the next day ;) and then there was that thriller with the cellphone that came out a couple of months ago where the woman was kidnapped and called some dude who just wanted to go surfing or something :lol

ok - as you were.

Writing Again

Nikee, it can be done.

In fact I saw a few minutes of a movie at a friend's house I want to check out. It has (I think) Danny Devito stuck in traffic within sight of his office trying to talk a bunch of people who are waiting in the office for him into buying some concept. He is trying to pitch it to them over the phone.

Derek pretty much summed up what I meant.

I guess the flip side is that more and better use can be made of cell phones in movies.

Fade to Black:

PERSON (O.S.)

Hello? Hello? Who is this?

Yes, I know I'm the person who called you and I should know who I'm calling.

You see, I just pushed a button on my cell phone with my chin. You are on my quick dial, I just don't know which one.

Yes, Yes, this is Jungle Jim.

I know you are busy but this giant anaconda just swallowed me whole and I can't reach my cell phone with my hands to dial anyone else right now.

Where am I? I just told you, I'm in the belly of this big snake out here in the middle of the jungle.

Land mark? I'm inside the belly of a snake. How am I supposed to see the nearest landmark?

Okay, I'm sorry I got upset. I just need somebody to run over and cut me out of this snake see...

I'm really sorry you have a fear of snakes.

Yes, I do know what it is like to have a phobia. I think I'm developing claustrophobia.

NO! I cannot hold while you call you therapist.

Hello?

Hello?

Fade out.

bluejester12

Ive used the intercut in mine. I prefer to see the people and their reactions.

However, I have some problems with radio headsets. Some of my characters are agents and I could use advice on conversations via headsets. Similiar principle I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.