Women's Fiction and Tor

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I have in front of me a posting on AW from Tor dated 12/09/06 in which they announce they are looking to expand their Women's Fiction area. I know they are more noted for publishing Sci Fi and Fant asy but this post had led me to believe I may have a chance with them for my Women's Fiction novel, Rain in which the main characters are in their thirties. Does anybody have any new information on Tor and WOmen's Fiction? Thanks

Janet

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I always thought of Tor as more Fantasy and SF too, but I've noticed the last few paranormal romance anthologies I've picked up are from Tor. So I don't know about "Women's Fiction" but they're definitely getting into the paranormal romance area, which, when you think about it, goes hand in hand with the whole SF/Fantasy thing.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny but when I originally wrote this novel, there was a paranormal element in it. I have since edited that out of it. The guidelines do mention a lot of situations in which there is no paranormal element. Hmm. Now I'm not sure what to do. I do have a query out with a literary agent and wonder if I should wait until I hear from her, but it's been almost three months and I am afraid she isn't interested. It would be so much easier if I had the benefit of her knowledge and experience.

Lady Cat said:
I always thought of Tor as more Fantasy and SF too, but I've noticed the last few paranormal romance anthologies I've picked up are from Tor. So I don't know about "Women's Fiction" but they're definitely getting into the paranormal romance area, which, when you think about it, goes hand in hand with the whole SF/Fantasy thing.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I took a look at the blurbs for the 'Romance' books they've published. I'd say they were heavy on the paranormal.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Well, although I said my book didn't fall into the Paranormal category, the heroine marries and Astrologer. The book isn't about Astrology, it's about family ties and rivalries and loss, grief and guilt as well as personal transformation. Astrology is woven into it though and I actually made up an astrological chart for two of the MCs, and there are naturally references to astrology in it, because of course if a person was an astrologer, he would occasionally make references to astrology. I don't consider Astrology to be paranormal. It is an integral part of my life. Tor might consider it to fall into the Paranormal realm, though.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Most science fiction and fantasy novels are not about the other worldly element, but about something else: family, relationships, politics, rivalries, personal growth and discovery, you name it.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Birol. I feel better now. Also, a friend of the heroine is a Tarot Card reader. I guess I never thouight this novel would be classified as Paranormal, because I didn't include these elements with the thought of making it fall into this genre. I just put them in because they are interests of mine and I thought it would be fun to include them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.