I want to buy a new digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I have no idea what to buy. My first one cost 40.00, big deal.

I just got my share of my mom's insurance money. It's nothing to brag about but Christmas is on her this year. Though she was a hard pill to swollow I would much rather have her back than this money. Before I put it in a savings account I know my mom would have wanted me to have a new camera that has a working flash and buy my kids some winter gear for Christmas. So, thanks mom.

I have no idea what to buy. I want to spend around 200.00 including that little memory card. This will be my first expensive digital so don't suggest anything hard to use and understand. K!

Think of this as my first camera. Now what would you suggest?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a Canon PowerShot SD450 for my birthday and anniversary, rolled into one, and I love it. It's even pretty user-friendly, and I'm a low-tech person. The interface with my computer is pretty easy, and I mastered controlling the flash and zooming the first day I had it, which is pretty much all the special features I'm likely to use. It's small enough to easily fit in purse or pocket.

Actually, I have one complaint about it. I remember taking out the storage chip in Paris, in our hotel, and puttting the first 128 pictures I took someplace safe in our luggage. We've unpacked, and I still haven't found it. Got to be the camera's fault.

I recommend buying a second, larger capacity photo storage chip when you purchase any digital camera. And keeping track of it.

Maryn, who's gone from taking very few pictures to taking lots

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
go with the canon powershot, any model that fits your budget, theyre the best point and shoot in that price range

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Is this connected in any way with the bra and panty trampoline - fight - pillow throwing contest?

If it is you can borrow mine .. :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are a lot of very good cameras at the $150 price area. I recently replaced my Pentax 33lf (which got dropped in the river, oops) with a Canon A530 and it performs very well. Any major brand will tend to be fine. Just look for at least 5 megapixels, at least 3x zoom (not counting 'optical zoom') and you will need to buy a larger memory card than the one that comes with the camera (for about $30). You should also makes sure it takes regular AA batteries and get a battery recharger (they tend to use a lot of batteries).

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to print out those pictures for an album, don't forget that you'll need a very good printer as well!

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
My biggest annoyance with digital cameras is the ridiculous amount of time it takes between pushing the button and the picture being taken. With an SLR it's instantaneous but I've had digital cameras that can take two or three seconds.

"Smile"

*pushes button*

"Keep smiling!"

*beep, beep, beep*

"Has it taken-"

*flash*

"Gahhh!!!"

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The lag time is improving and some camera have a special setting to speed it up further. My Canon has a cutely named 'kids and pets' setting that is quicker to respond.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Good idea. The pictures you've been sending me are a little grainy.

Terri, I have a Kodak EasyShare and Rob hasn't complained about any of my pictures yet ;) So it must be good.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:
My biggest annoyance with digital cameras is the ridiculous amount of time it takes between pushing the button and the picture being taken. With an SLR it's instantaneous but I've had digital cameras that can take two or three seconds.

"Smile"

*pushes button*

"Keep smiling!"

*beep, beep, beep*

"Has it taken-"

*flash*

"Gahhh!!!"

I have one of those. You can't capture that majic moment. Everyone has moved by the time I hear beep. I have a bunch of pictures of weird nothing going on.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
For real? Cause I like your pictures. Well, not the same ones you send Dorkzo.

yes i really have an easyshare - the name of the camera makes you think I'm lying doesn't it? lol.
Just because I own an EasyShare doesn't mean I "share easily"! :rofl:

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I too just got an Easyshare. It's pretty cool, good pics and very easy to use. With the printer at Wal Mart it was $179, but no card. Also, the printer/paper refills are $15 for about 50 pics. About the same as developing film, but you can choose the shots you want. Pretty cool, I would reccommend it.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I have an Easyshare, but I don't like it. It IS very easy to use and small enough to tote around in my purse, but my model doesn't give me very many options. Mine is model CX4310.

Hubby's work camera is what I want. He has a Sony FD Mavica MVC-FD92, but it was about $600.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I got a Casio Exilim last Christmas. It is like the heavens opened up and handed me the perfect digital camera. It switches from a normal digital camera to a video camera in a nanosecond and it's about the size of 5 credit cards stacked up.

I've been the suckiest mommy ever for years because I always forget the camera/video camera. I have no visual memories of the kids and their firsts. I'm going to hell for that, I know. But now, that tiny little camera goes everywhere with me and I'm on the road to redemption in the eyes of the grandparents. I'm so happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.