What's your least favorite insect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
There's going to be no poll since there's WAAAY more than ten different kinds of insects in the world. I think there's about twelve but I could be wrong on that. :D (I like to serve my humour dry.)

Mine used to be the annoying ant because they had infested my childhood home. I hated those vermin! But they have been supplanted by a new villian:

The Cricket!

Sometime during my vacation away the past couple weeks, little Jimeny has called my apartment his home. And, as we speak, he's chirp chirp chirping away loudly like having a garage band next door. I can't find him but I can hear him...and when I get close, he gets quiet.

I hated ants but I'm coming to LOATHE crickets.

If I can't find him, at least, I'll outlive the bugger. I may not come out sane but I'll still be standing at the end of the day.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Mine would have to be Bees.. all of em..
Each year I find hives all over the house and backyard

I had one the size of a soccer ball attached to a trash shed, another on an exterior shutter the size of Rhode Island.

Then there are the burroughing bees, these sly devils build their nests underground. Mow the lawn barefoot, never again.

Carpenter or wood bees.. yes they love the fence. Ah the great outdoors.
People wonder why I LOVE WINTER and SNOW..

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Spiders. Big, hairy spiders. Yet, as I grow older, it's becoming less of a problem. I tend to 'move them away' instead of squashing them. Of course, I'm saying that now. After I go work in the crawlspace later today I might have to rescind this feeling.:D

frogponder

This fellow
housec132x100.jpg

Midnight, my eldest son heads downstairs and announces that he found a mutant spider. Directed son to catch it, we looked it up on the internet and found it was a 'multi-legged house centipede'. And where there is one there may be A LOT. By 1 a.m. I ordered a bug vaccum.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
June bugs - I can't stand it when their shells stick in my hair. Ugh. I won't even go outside at night in june bug season without covering my head and turning out the outside lights so they aren't attracted to it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Well, ants don't bother me too much... and spiders? Eh. Unless they're big as a Buick, I can handle those, too. Centepedes don't bother me, but I have a healthy respect for wasps and bees; and I have to confess, the Palmetto bug/cockroach vote almost had me swayed.

Then I hit janetbellinger's post and I remembered! Gods, I HATE June bugs! Them and their ugly grub infant stage, too! ::shudder:: June bugs, yep. Hands down - preferably holding a rolled up newspaper to squash the little ba$tards!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The ones that surprise me.
I don't mind seeing bugs and insects outside, I don't mind them at all because I'm on their turf and I expect them to be there. But...if I'm in my basement doing laundry and I see them, I am totally surprised and I get freaked out. the spider in my bathtub a couple months ago sent me over the edge...he was entirely too big to be in my house. Yuck.
We had a cricket in the basement too...how annoying are they? ugh.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
frogponder said:
This fellow
housec132x100.jpg

Midnight, my eldest son heads downstairs and announces that he found a mutant spider. Directed son to catch it, we looked it up on the internet and found it was a 'multi-legged house centipede'. And where there is one there may be A LOT. By 1 a.m. I ordered a bug vaccum.

Agreed. Centipedes are the devil's handiwork. They must be eradicated. Now.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, palmetto bugs, hands down. The gigantic hairy mutant spiders that explode with baby spiderlings when you whack 'em (sorry, Rllgthunder) don't even bother me because they eat palmetto bugs.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Giant house spiders...Tegenaria gigantea...omg..*shiver*

I had my glasses off one day while i was sewing. I went to pick up all the loose black threads from the floor after I was done and one wriggled outta my fingers..i dropped it and screamed bloody hell for 30 minutes straight..me and spiders dont agree

frogponder

I tell you the bug vacuum is great. Sucks up the bug
and electrocutes it on a screen. No appeals...

otoh, I don't have a problem with spiders. I had a jumping
spider live under my delete key once. It would get irritated
at every attempt to delete. I learned to type very carefully
there for a while.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
LOL!

I call in my 11yr old daughter whenever I see the nastier bugs, I tell her it's to toughen her up; can't be afraid of bugs -- rah. Then I go and freak out in another room.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I like bugs, so much so that I collect insect jewellery, however wood ticks horrify me. My rational side KNOWS that they won't burrow into my brain via my ear, but my irrational side isn't so certain. Before I had kids I had the luxury of having a freak out if every I found one wandering my person or if I had to pick them off my dog. After kids, I had to remain calm if they ever brought one home. My internal creep factor was going ICK ICK ICK ICK *shriek* *flail about* but my demeanor was calm and soothing. "Oh you big silly it's just a little wood tick..." *more silent screams and shudders* as I flush it down the toilet 10 or 12 times. Then for days after, I have second thoughts about using that toilet just incase it survives the tsnumai and bent on revenge it creeps up the sewer pipes to latch itself to my bum....Arrrghhh!! Did I mention I hate woodticks?

I feel all ookie now.:(

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Cockroaches. They're so big in Hawai`i, you can hear them breath.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Cockroaches and silverfish--yucko.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Cockroaches. I had one land on my face while I was sleeping once. Not a baby one either. A big giant German flying cockroach.

It's like a phobia. I saw one in a friend's bathroom and he had a sliding door with no handle. I started screaming bloody murder and I couldn't get the door open. My friend and boyfriend thought a fire started in there or something the way I was screaming. It took me a good half hour to calm down.

frogponder

I have a tick and dog story but I have to warn you
it is very SCREAM worthy...

While my DH was out of town I found a very swollen tick
on one of our labs. I had to get it off myself and I did.
I was very proud of myself. But I did not want to dispose
of it. Something about if the dog got sick I wanted to
have the tick to show the vet.

So I put the tick in a ziplock bag and stuck it to the back
of the fridge with a magnet.

Time went by....

The dog did not get sick and I remembered the bag o' tick.
I found it and OH MY GAWD! The tick had been pregnant
and the baggie was full of tiny little baby ticks and they were
MOVING!

Luckily the garbage truck was due that morning so I ran the
baggie out to the can and watched the garbage truck load
it up and take it FAR AWAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.