PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what's with the envelopes?

JennaGlatzer
11-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I do realize it's rather odd that I'm asking this question, considering I'm the one who set up this forum and all. However, a newish member asked me today what the different colored envelopes mean-- the icons next to each thread on every board-- and I have no idea.

Some icons are blue, some orange. Some are open envelopes, some are closed. And I really don't know what they mean. Best I can figure is that if they have arrows, that means you're subscribed to the thread, but I don't know what else they signify. You?

TheIT
11-11-2006, 01:30 AM
On any of the forum screens, scroll all the way to the bottom. There's a legend. An arrow means you've posted something in the thread. Blue means low viewing activity, orange means high activity. I'm guessing a thread turns from blue to orange upon 150 views of the thread.

awatkins
11-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Ha! I wondered about that, too.

Medievalist
11-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Go here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/).

Scroll all the way down, to the bottom left.

There's the color coded explanation.

TheIT
11-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Medievalist, your link describes the legend for the forums. To see the envelope descriptions, you need to be in one of the forum screens like "Writing Novels".

JennaGlatzer
11-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Well, I'll be. Thanks, TheIT! You deserve a promotion. :)

TheIT
11-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Well, I'll be. Thanks, TheIT! You deserve a promotion. :)

To what? TheITS? ;)

BruceJ
11-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks, everyone. I was the newbie who asked the question and I figured I had missed something obvious. I hope this doesn't affect the "esteemed" part of my status in any way... :-)

TheIT
11-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Not at all, BruceJ. Welcome to AW! Be sure to read the stickied threads at the top of the Newbie Forum for more information about how things work and where everything is.

Happy writing!

JennaGlatzer
11-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Bruce, I think your esteemedness is pretty safe, considering two supermods just admitted we had no idea, either. ;)

TheIT: Yes, if the S would make the title "The Imagination Trainer is Stupendous."

robeiae
11-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Envelopes are generally used to send things via postal services, though they can also be used around the home to store things like receipts and coupons.

Hope this helps.

SeanDSchaffer
11-11-2006, 11:02 PM
I do realize it's rather odd that I'm asking this question, considering I'm the one who set up this forum and all. However, a newish member asked me today what the different colored envelopes mean-- the icons next to each thread on every board-- and I have no idea.

Some icons are blue, some orange. Some are open envelopes, some are closed. And I really don't know what they mean. Best I can figure is that if they have arrows, that means you're subscribed to the thread, but I don't know what else they signify. You?

Actually, Jenna, from what I've seen the arrows mean that you have posted on a thread, not that you've subscribed to it. There are a number of threads I have responded to, that I have since unsubscribed from. The arrows are still there.

Also, from what I've seen, the envelopes that are opened mean there are new posts. The yellow envelopes mean new threads, generally; and blue envelopes mean low viewing volume. Red envelopes mean hot topics, ones that are quite popular.

I hope this helps.

:)

DeniseK
11-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Envelopes are generally used to send things via postal services, though they can also be used around the home to store things like receipts and coupons.

Hope this helps.

:ROFL:

awatkins
11-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks much, Rob. I knew the word was vaguely familiar but couldn't quite place it.

:D

robeiae
11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
All I ever want to do is help.

dclary
11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
To what? TheITS? ;)

Sr. VP of TheIT

ChunkyC
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
There's just another example of why the good people of Wyoming elected Rob Emperor. :D

robeiae
11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
There's just another example of why the good people of Wyoming elected Rob Emperor.
Nobody elected me Emperor...The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering gopher skin held aloft the Spear of Destiny from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Robeiae, was to carry the Spear of Destiny. THAT is why I am Emperor.