Is there a rule for using 'beat' in the dialogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozemeijer

Is there rule for using 'beat' in the dialog. How many times you may use it in a conversation. Or it is irritating for the reader to see the beat. Is it of any use?

SimonSays

There really shouldn't be a need to use BEAT very often. Normally using a ellipses will suffice for a small pause or hesitation. But if you want the pause to be more defined then use BEAT.

It's used most often in comedy scripts, because comedy relies so heavily on timing - and you want the pause to stand out.

FJ and G

I've done pretty much what Simon suggests.

I used beat about 2 or 3 times and used ellipses or em (long dash) for pauses

follow-up Q:

is there a difference between the em dash and ellipses or are they interchangeable. (if the latter, probably best to stick to one for consistence)

dpaterso

is there a difference between the em dash and ellipses or are they interchangeable. (if the latter, probably best to stick to one for consistence)

I think of them as hesitation or pause vs. interruption, e.g.

MIKE
Look... Sally... there's something I
gotta tell you... it's really--

SALLY
Wow, look at that guy's butt!

I am not a professional screenwriter, nor am I SimonSays, so take the above as well-meaning advice but not as professional well-meaning advice.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

SimonSays

Dpat -

There's no need to be so snarky. You admit that you're not a professional screenwriter. I've supported myself off my craft for years. I not only write my own stuff, but I've also made a lot of money rewriting scripts by other people. So I've seen alot, done alot and learned alot through experience.

So maybe, just maybe, I know a little more than you.

When you post something, more often than not you are right. But in general, alot of the info on this board is not right. I appreciate the spirit of wanting to help your fellow writer, but if you (not you in particular) are giving them the wrong information - they are not being helped - they're being hurt.

You can think I'm a snob, or a know-it-all or a blowhard - I really don't care. My only goal is to give people the right information or direct them towards resources where they can find the right information. And if I hurt people's feelings by pointing out they're wrong along the way, so be it.

kojled

rozemeijer

no rule for use. correct use is matter of style. few writers have style

zilla

dchapma123

This is a matter of taste, I suppose, but I like to indicate pauses with action. This serves two purposes:

1.) Film is a visual medium, after all, so it's always good to show what's happening while no one is speaking (even if it's just a pause).

2.) It's less directorial. Deciding where to pause is something that will be decided by the actors, director, and (most of all) editor. If I can make the pause more implicit than explicit, I feel I'm being less intrusive.

If it's a really quick pause I want, I'll use ellipses.

Rozemeijer

What is that thing ellipses. How do you put that in your screenplay.

dchapma123

You would use ellipses when you want...a brief pause in the dialogue.

Rozemeijer

Maybe it is stupid to ask, but can somebody post a part of a screenplay where they are using an ellipses.

Optimus Maximus

Roz,

An "ellipsis" is basically leaving out words or phrases (thus, possibly switching topics) and replacing them with three periods (or * or - ).

When most people refer to using ellipsis, they mean the periods.

OPTY
You...uh...

Opty leans in close.

OPTY
...know what I mean?

dpaterso

Simon,
There's no need to be so snarky. You admit that you're not a professional screenwriter. I've supported myself off my craft for years. I not only write my own stuff, but I've also made a lot of money rewriting scripts by other people. So I've seen alot, done alot and learned alot through experience.
So maybe, just maybe, I know a little more than you.
As mentioned in another thread, the "problem" is that here, you're just another anonymous userid. On message boards it's hard if not impossible to tell the real people from the fantasists so you'll forgive me if I occasionally ping with a tongue-in-cheek comment just to see what kind of response comes back, the better to form opinions. I'm still forming, and you shouldn't feel insulted by this. Tomorrow you could claim to be the Queen of Sheba or Justino for all I know. Me, I don't claim anything, I'm just working on the karma principle of maybe I'll get back some of what I give. Our different approaches are neither exclusive nor wrong. But if I offer someone wrong advice I expect you to slap me for it. The result being, I won't offer that wrong advice again.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Rozemeijer

<<<<OPTY>>>>
Roz,
An "ellipsis" is basically leaving out words or phrases (thus, possibly switching topics) and replacing them with three periods (or * or - ).

When most people refer to using ellipsis, they mean the periods.

OPTY
You...uh...

Opty leans in close.

OPTY
...know what I mean?>>>>

So it is like this:

ROZ
You know...

Roz blows his nose.

ROZ
..i'm a beginner.

NikeeGoddess

using the word "beat" in the dialogue is more intrusive than using "..."

also if the dialogue is abruptly cut off (and not continued) by another person or action use 2 dashes like this: "--" instead of "..." got it?

write on!

kojled

rozemeijer

use (beat) when there is a pause before the next sentence is spoken. the sentence being spoken may be complete or may trail off in the middle

use and ellipse (...) when there is a pause within the sentence

zilla

AaronB

Tomorrow you could claim to be the Queen of Sheba or Justino for all I know.

If Simon claims to be the Queen of Sheba, don't believe him. I am the Queen of Sheba.*

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">* Notwithstanding that I am straight, male, and of European extraction.</span>

Status
Not open for further replies.