Did I just fall off the turnip truck yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronB

Or was it early this morning?

Okay, let me back up a little. I'm a noob at screenwriting, an utter fledgeling. I've got one (count 'em, ONE) feature-length project to draft stage.

So I'm at a conference in LA a few weeks ago when I run across a fellow who introduces himself as a producer from Calgary. We're staying in the same hotel, and he and I meet in the hotel restaurant. I share a table with him and two other acquaintances.

Naturally, the talk turns to creative work...it's why we're both there, after all...and I mention that I'm hoping to make contacts through which to market my screenplay. He invites me to pitch it, right there at the table. So what do I do? Well, he didn't have to ask me twice. I pitched.

This fellow allows as how he supposes that my project is commercially viable, and wishes me luck with it. I volunteer that I haven't the faintest idea of how to proceed with it. We trade contact information, and part.

Some days later, home again, I e-mail him, asking if *he* is interested at all in taking on the project. He replies after some deliberation that yes, he'll help me with it. I ask what's the next step. He directs me to raise seed money, "...maybe twenty or forty thousand dollars, so we can put together a slick marketing package that includes a three- or five-minute video clip about the story."

I say "You mean like shooting a trailer first?" "Yeah," he replies. "Get the money together, and we can get started."

Well, I think to myself, maybe he's thinking like a producer, and not like a writer. Maybe that's how they do things...start by going to a bank with a business plan, etc., etc... banks lend money on movie projects all the time, right?

So I e-mail him back. "Look," I say, "First off, you're the only person whose plan includes money flowing FROM the writer, rather than TO the writer. Second, in order to raise money for this project, I would need to show any potential lenders some homework. You know, like a business plan, a marketing agreement even, maybe a tentative schedule? Something that tells them that we're on the up-and-up. I couldn't do it on just your word. You've got to provide some bona fides." "Call me," he replies.

I do. After talking in circles for half an hour, here's where it stands: This guy wants me to send him a cashier's check for, oh, about fifty grand, from wherever I can find it. Friends, relatives, banks, credit cards, second mortgage. On his say-so.

Ain't happenin'. Where on earth do guys like this come from? Are there really morons who will fall for this kind of stunt?

[sigh]

No. While I did indeed fall off a turnip truck, it wasn't yesterday or even the day before.

DoubleIT

I was worried you were going to ask for advice "Should I send him 50grand? I could sell my car and wife..." There are too many people praying on others in this cruel world. But keep up the good work and maybe next time it will be a real producer.

Sgt Spanky

Here's what you do; tell him the check is in the mail then get a crayon and write $50,000 on a piece of paper and send it to him with the notation, "Dream on, loser."

AaronB

Hey, I just got an idea...I can e-mail him and tell him that I've arranged for financing through a Nigerian banker, and he'll get his fifty large as soon as my connection wires the money to my offshore account.

Writing Again

tell him the check is in the mail then get a crayon and write $50,000 on a piece of paper and send it to him with the notation, "Dream on, loser."

Better check with a lawyer first, this could be a legally binding agreement north of the border, and probably is.

-Derek

I am reminded of a legal nightmare that reached the newspapers because some joker sent a check for one million dollars as a birthday present.

The sender said, "It was obviously a joke. I never expected him to actually try to cash it."

The recipient said, "I never heard of writing a check you did not expect to be cashed."

I never did hear what the judge said.

NikeeGoddess

there must be something about you that made him think .....well, you should have that SUCKER tattoo removed from your head too.

write on!

AaronB

After putting it off for a bit...I hate confrontation...I e-mailed the character and informed him politely that I was not going to pursue the project with him any further.

I was neither rude nor derogatory in my message; I've no need to make enemies of any sort. I invited the fellow to call me if he needed me to connect the dots for him about why I was cutting him loose.

It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure it out, so I don't expect my phone to ring any time soon. Good riddance.

William Haskins

you did the right thing. you gain nothing by being an ass. and given the population of crooks, ex-crooks and moral degenerates that end up with power in hollywood, he may well end up running a studio one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.