Removing Blockage - What's Your Secret??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjb

I have a deadline fast approaching for a short script. I know, short script (fast, easy, great), no. Not great...for I have severe blockage!

You've all had it. Any quick, candid tips for removal?

Optimus Maximus

You can usually buy a water-bottle enema at most any drug store. I suggest using lukewarm water, though, to prevent any butthole burns or prostate freezing.

Try using some forceps or even garden-salad tongs for quick removal of the more serious blockages.

However, a professional high colonic or intestinal lavage works wonders as well for clearing even the most serious blockage.

NikeeGoddess

although it's too sweet for me, i suggest you drink plenty of prune juice :b ;)

Hamboogul

I've discovered that I tend to use writer's block as an excuse when I'm unmotivated to write. It's a very convenient excuse and one that we all can relate to.

You can do one of two things. Either don't write and hope that you get inspired to write at some point. Or write and have something that may or may not be your "inspired best".

The first option gives you nothing. The second option gives you something.

dpaterso

Three different and interesting replies there. Optimus uses humor to shake loose the blocked thoughts. Nikee fantasizes about Klingons -- a warrior's drink! That's another way to shake things loose. Hamboogul goes for clinical analysis. How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? None; the light bulb must want to change itself. Here's a practical suggestion:

If you haven't already got a plot outline, scribble one. Doesn't have to be heavy with detail, just half-a-dozen lines taking you to the end of the story so you can look at the conclusion and decide whether it fits, e.g.

Fred tracks Joe to the bordello
Fights Joe, finds out where Anne is
Big Dan's nightclub, fights henchmen
Rescues Anne, blows up nightclub
etc.

Tinker until happy, then expand the plot outline into scenes. Then type FADE OUT.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

JustinoXV

I eat lots of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, vegetables, and fruits. As a result, I'm never blocked.

kojled

kjb

i never get blocked. never. this is because i don't start script without making sure concept is good and outline is excellent. blocks happen when you get to the point in the script when you realize the concept has a flaw (bad concept) or the structure is wrong (bad or no outline)

zilla

Writing Again

I've never had writer's block, I've always been able to write on at least one of my WIP's and I'm always ahead of deadlines -- But that is in novels where I know how to fudge.

Right now to have a deadline on a screenplay would freak me out. I'm still learning format.

One of the best suggestions I have ever heard.

Set everything up ready to write.

No pick a chore you hate with a passion, preferably one that will take all day to do.

Now refuse to accept any reason for not doing that chore except to come up with what you need to finish your writing project.

If your subconcious is anything like mine if won't be half an hour and you will be in high gear writing mode.

Ravenlocks01

blocks happen when you get to the point in the script when you realize the concept has a flaw (bad concept) or the structure is wrong (bad or no outline)
Not totally true. Blocks can also happen because you don't know the characters well enough or because you're secretly afraid that what you're about to write will be totally worthless.

Writing Again

Or when you are half way through the best screenplay you have ever written only to realize you have just produced 60 minutes of crap.

DoubleIT

Blockage

I agree that sometimes you just have to sit there and write. Even if its @#%$ that you know will have to be re-written, at least you get something on the page.

A toke or two of some fine herbal always helps too, if thats your thing :hat

kjb

Re: Blockage

Herb helps motivate me, ironically, but half the time I wake up the next day wondering what the hell I was thinking.:smokin

Status
Not open for further replies.