(Another) stupid question from a n00b/Nano ??/Ms. Snark and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
What is the purpose of "NaNoWriMo"...? Is it a contest? I have read a bunch of posts on this forum and I did join the "nanowrimo" site this morning, but I kinda don't get it. I read their FAQ, and looked at some posts on the site. I mean, I can write 50,000 words in a couple of days, so I'm sure to finish in time, and blah blah-- what do I get though? Does anyone review the novels once they are finished? Is it just supposed to give one a warm fuzzy feeling? Do agents and publishers contact "winners" about possible work or contracts?

This is a 100% sincere question. If someone could just sort of explain this to me, I would be hella grateful. Thank you in advance for your replies!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Scarlett_156 said:
What is the purpose of "NaNoWriMo"...? Is it a contest? I have read a bunch of posts on this forum and I did join the "nanowrimo" site this morning, but I kinda don't get it. I read their FAQ, and looked at some posts on the site. I mean, I can write 50,000 words in a couple of days, so I'm sure to finish in time, and blah blah-- what do I get though? Does anyone review the novels once they are finished? Is it just supposed to give one a warm fuzzy feeling? Do agents and publishers contact "winners" about possible work or contracts?

This is a 100% sincere question. If someone could just sort of explain this to me, I would be hella grateful. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Not a stupid question. You get diddly. It's just a way of getting writers to get their bums in chairs. Just a motivation to write. You win nothing in the end.

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I was just this minute reading their FAQ again. It's sort of confusing. I mean, they make it sound like it's a contest, right? I guess it's a good idea though.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's a contest with yourself. You win if you don't procrastinate. I guess you have to buy yourself a prize though? (-;

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More stupid

Scarlette, I've been wandering around when I can...And I still don't know who Ms Snark is...Betas? and a few other terms...so don't feel bad. Good luck, kimmi

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
For the background on NaNoWriMo, also take a look at the book No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty. NaNo is simply incentive to write. The only prize is the satisfaction of finishing a project. The goal is to write 50,000 words of the first draft of a novel in 30 days. No one checks it or grades it, and the only real competition is against yourself. The official website is www.nanowrimo.org and the "official" month most people choose for NaNo is November. Once you reach 50,000 words in your draft, you can get the count verified on their website and you'll get some winners icons to download. On AW, see the NaNoWriMo subforum in the Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Games forum.

If you've got other basic questions about AbsoluteWrite, a good place to begin to search for answers is in the threads which are stickied to the top of the Newbie Forum, especially the Newbie's Guide. Among other things, there are links to the AW Dictionary and the tour guide to the forums.

Last edited:

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
Thank you...I especially wanted to know about this Ms. Snark since, Devil told me yesterday "I'm what Ms. Snark would call a nitwit". I check this famous person out later..thanks

Well, I haven't figured out who "Devil" is, so we're even.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
potty mouth

checked Ms Snark out...all that and a bag of chips...not! Was my worst nightmare. Geez I hope all agents are not that way..and a big potty mouth to boot.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I'm going to port this over to the Roundtable...looks like good info that many peeps might miss by it posted being in Newbies. Hang on...here we go!

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
checked Ms Snark out...all that and a bag of chips...not! Was my worst nightmare. Geez I hope all agents are not that way..and a big potty mouth to boot.

:roll:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
K1P1 said:
Well, I haven't figured out who "Devil" is, so we're even.
No not you...someone wandering around dressed in blue jeans and perhaps...their pet squirrel?!:Sun: ...uhmmm. maybe it was a golpher???

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my forum posts are 50,000 words long-- I was thinking about submitting one of those as a novel. All I need to do is create some scenery... and... that's it...

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
kimmi57, if you happen to know another member here at AW by a different name, that's fine--but please refer to the person by the name they've CHOSEN here at AW so others can keep up. If you're referring to another member by a derogatory name that is not one they've chosen to use, then please stop it. We have a rule that we respect our fellow writers here and from other threads I've noticed, I'm starting to wonder if you don't have an axe to grind with someone.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
kimmi57, if you happen to know another member here at AW by a different name, that's fine--but please refer to the person by the name they've CHOSEN here at AW so others can keep up. If you're referring to another member by a derogatory name that is not one they've chosen to use, then please stop it. We have a rule that we respect our fellow writers here and from other threads I've noticed, I'm starting to wonder if you don't have an axe to grind with someone.
That is so not true! She did have a saying under her, that I just remembered as devil in jeans, with a picture of a the said animal...and believe me I would never refer to someone as a nitwit. Or be unkind to anyone without reason, even then it would be toned down...

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi, please don't take the passive-aggressive little-miss-innocent path. If you have something you feel you need to say to me, feel free to message me, rather than calling me names. This really isn't the place.

To the OP: Scarlett, there is a NaNoWriMo subforum right here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

where I bet you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know--including support--about NaNoWriMo, beyond what the official site tells you.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
kimmi 57 said:

It's Miss Snark, not Ms. All agents will expect you to address them the way they prefer to be addressed.

As will everyone else in the world. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Kimmi, please don't take the passive-aggressive little-miss-innocent path. If you have something you feel you need to say to me, feel free to message me, rather than calling me names. This really isn't the place.

To the OP: Scarlett, there is a NaNoWriMo subforum right here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

where I bet you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know--including support--about NaNoWriMo, beyond what the official site tells you.
Aadams, is that you from yesterday? Were you the one that said nitwit? You had a different saying under your name...right?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I did have a different saying there for halloween. Then I jumped on the gopher bandwagon. Give me another week and I'll probably be some kind of turkey.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Yup, I did have a different saying there for halloween. Then I jumped on the gopher bandwagon. Give me another week and I'll probably be some kind of turkey.
Okay..you did hurt my feelings a little with the nitwit comment..which by now I realize I deserve. I just looked up and saw something about devil in jeans... sorry Forgive..Forget okay :flag: I've got a lot to learn. kimmi

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That's a deal, Kimmi :) Sorry for the nitwit comment. If you need some help learning the ropes around here, shoot me a PM(click on a user's name and choose send-private-message) and I'll try and help you out.

Now Scarlett can have her thread back :D

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Gads, I love it when lovefests break out! :D

Thanks for patching things up, you two.

And Scarlett... you can write 50,000 words in a couple of DAYS?! Can I be you? Just for the weekend, maybe?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Yes, I am totally envious of Scarlett. She must have some flying hands!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
That's a deal, Kimmi :) Sorry for the nitwit comment. If you need some help learning the ropes around here, shoot me a PM(click on a user's name and choose send-private-message) and I'll try and help you out.

Now Scarlett can have her thread back :D
Thanks so much...I really don't want to be hurtful, and not that I don't have a backbone as well but truth is I've never been on any website before...I don't even know how to put a picture up or what PM means...total ignorance, on the computer. My teen just makes her computer sing... I despertely needed help about the writing world and boy this is the place...I love it. It saved me from trashing my ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.