Writer's block

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazywritier40

Hi my name is sue,
I have been working on my book for about 2 1/2 years now I am stuck with writiers block and I am having trouble moving on and finishing it. the thing is I really know how I want it to go I am just sure how to get it down on paper can someone help me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Hi, Sue! I'm sure you'll find some inspiration here on AW, as well as help with answers to your questions. Poke around, get involved in the conversations in all the areas of interest to you and have a good time. I bet the writer's block will go away eventually.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on my book since 1999, if you can find the easy way to do it, let me know! lol...

I watched Tyra Banks show and got inspired. I watched movies like Thelma & Louise and got inspired. I've heard my favorite song and been inspired. It can come out of mid air and unexpectedly.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If you know where the story is going, write the end. At least you'll be writing something, and it may be just what you need to loosen up the muse and tackled everything in between.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Just write.

Write it down.

Sit your butt in the chair and pound the keyboard, or push the pen.

Just write it.

It doesn't matter if what comes out is carp. THAT'S what the edit stage is all about.

Now, close the browser, get out your mss and WRITE.

GO!

NOW!

WRITE!

Why are you still here?

Didn't you just read what I said?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Write! Nothing is carved in stone.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
People,

Please note that there is a forum, Outwitting Writer's Block, which is where you will find the most suitable home for this type of post.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Also, I would like to mention to the OP that it would be very helpful to all other members here if you give your post a more informative title other than 'Hello'.

If a moderator is reading this, might I suggest that this thread be moved?

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Sue-
I don't know if this will help you but it does me. When I get writers block on a certain project I'll just go back to whatever inspired me in the first place. If it's a movie I'll watch the movie, if it's a book I'll read the book, etc. Hope that helps.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Douglas Adams once said that writing a novel is nothing more or less frightening than simply putting one hundred thousand words in a cunning order.

Honestly, you find the bit you know happens next, and you write it. You may not enjoy it, you may think you're shoveling crap from a sitting position, but you do it anyway. And then, you pick the bit that comes after that, and you write that.

It's easy to be a writer when the passion is there and you're sailing along easily. It's much harder when it's in cold blood. Sometimes, it's more important then too.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest outlining. Not a static one that they force you to use in school, but an organic outline.

Just summarize the story, pretty soon you will find a place in the story that begins to flow, if it doesn't, it will get you to the words, The End, and you can ask for suggestions.

It always works for me when I'm not quite sure how I want to handle something.

cinders23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreamersperch.blogspot.com
It always seems to me that when I get writer’s block it’s because the conflict or the challenges that the main character is facing have fizzled. Then I have to ask myself where can more conflict come from?

Cindy

SeanDSchaffer

lazywritier40 said:
Hi my name is sue,
I have been working on my book for about 2 1/2 years now I am stuck with writiers block and I am having trouble moving on and finishing it. the thing is I really know how I want it to go I am just sure how to get it down on paper can someone help me.

My suggestion would be to not push yourself too hard. I take it this novel is your first? If this is true, I would not hurry myself; that's one of the biggest mistakes newbie authors (I include myself in this definition; I have yet to be published legitimately) make. It's like what my Mom used to tell me: The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get.

I wish you all the best with your work, and good luck to you.

:)

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there...I can totally identify with a bad case of writer's block. It can seem to go on forever, but I find it gets worse if I think about it too much. Writing is one of those things you can't force. It will come in its own time, so I wouldn't worry. Work on something else, something a liltte less taxing, to get your creative juices flowing again. :D

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
ATP said:
People,

Please note that there is a forum, Outwitting Writer's Block, which is where you will find the most suitable home for this type of post.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Also, I would like to mention to the OP that it would be very helpful to all other members here if you give your post a more informative title other than 'Hello'.

If a moderator is reading this, might I suggest that this thread be moved?

The forum you're referring to was set up for folks who bought Jenna's book Outwitting Writer’s Block and Other Problems of the Pen.

The Roundtable is the appropriate forum for the OP's question.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
My suggestion would be to not push yourself too hard.

I would say that 2.5 years to get (what?) two-thirds of the way through, isn't pushing very hard.

I know how that sounds, and we all work at our own pace with outside influences stealing time, but I've found in the past that the longer I have a problem in the prose, the bigger it gets. Left unchecked, the problem grows and becomes all consuming. Suddenly the problem is bigger than the project it lives in.

Push on. Even if what you write to get passed the problem is rough, clunky and needs a lot of work, it's much easier to go back and fix it when you have the momentum going again. If you're at a dead-stop, it can be hellish just to get moving. I would rather be writing in the wrong direction than not writing at all. Much easier to turn around, even if it's a complete 180.

Princesstilly

Registered
Reaction score
I suggest buying the book Unstuck, by Jane Anne Staw (St. Martin's Griffin). I was blocked for almost 1 1/2 years and finally started back on my novel this week after reading this book. Staw recommends doing only 15 minutes a day for starters, which is totally non-threatening.

Leanne

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) always works for me. Get my free report about it at the link below.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to run multiple projects, so if one bogs I switch to another. Never had to deal with block because there's always something fresh to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.