dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Ok... If possible, I'd like this to stay writing (ok, journalism) related, as much as possible.

Today, President Bush lunched with Nancy Pelosi -- a customary event after election day, regardless of who's in power. Pelosi and Bush have often butted heads, though, so some fireworks could have been expected, or at least hoped for.

The linked article for the AP is (supposedly) reporting on this event in what they consider a fair and impartial manner. Upon reading it, do you agree or disagree -- not with the article itself -- but with the assertion that there is no media bias in any direction? And if there IS bias, is it intentional or unintentional?

I'll let you know my feelings on it after I've heard a few of yours.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/09/D8L9NENO2.html

Reaction score
This snippets give me cause for concern....

gave his Republicans a trouncing on Election Day

wish-list for the lameduck session

Vice President Dick Cheney sitting glumly

...right off the bat.

Kinda sets the tone of the article.

Thank you.

ETA: Cheney is glum 99% of the time.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to find this story on the wire at work, and while I found one sort of like it, it's not the exact same story, although it does have the same byline and parts of it are the same. Could this version you have be an unedited version?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Southern_girl29 said:
I tried to find this story on the wire at work, and while I found one sort of like it, it's not the exact same story, although it does have the same byline and parts of it are the same. Could this version you have be an unedited version?

It's certainly possible, I hadn't considered that. Does breibart post unedited feeds? I don't know.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
It's certainly possible, I hadn't considered that. Does breibart post unedited feeds? I don't know.

I don't know. That's actually the first time I've been to that Web site. But, your version is certainly biased, while the version I have isn't as bad. I don't know whether to post it or not, since I don't have a link. Let me see if I can find it at another source.

ETA: Can't find it right now, but I'm about to leave to go home. I'll try to find it later tonight.

Reaction score
There's nothing you can do about the bias.

Most journalists aren't conservatives and as much as they like to believe they have the ability to be fair and balanced, they are humans.

I ain't even angry wit dem.

They're humans. It's a rare human that can be fair and balanced against their primoridal urges and bias. The ones that can, I call legends.

Oh well.

Long live Fox!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
That's why I left open the possibility that it might be unintentional, Robeiae, and maybe just needed an "impartiality edit" before final post.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
how impartial do you want them to be? if a reporter reports 'cheney sat glumly' or 'hilary clinton farted' does that automatically make them biased? or unless they report everyone - and i mean everyone - in glowing light they cant possibly impartial? if they reported bush sr barfed all over japanese prime minsisters lap did it make them liberals?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
dclary said:

I followed this link from AP's own website, and it looks the same:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUSH?SITE=TNMEM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

It was worded somewhere between news and editorial, but it doesn't take much manipulation to make our President seem a tad simple:

"We won't agree on every issue, but we do agree that we love America."

My heart is warmed. I wonder if he was genuinely surprised that she loves America, and is wondering if there could possibly be even more Democrats that love America.

I guess it could have been worse:

"I thought we were about to agree on something, but it turns out she hates America!"

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
how impartial do you want them to be? if a reporter reports 'cheney sat glumly' or 'hilary clinton farted' does that automatically make them biased? or unless they report everyone - and i mean everyone - in glowing light they cant possibly impartial? if they reported bush sr barfed all over japanese prime minsisters lap did it make them liberals?

Well, saying "Cheney sat glumly" is not a fact, it's an opinion. Saying Hilary farted is a fact (if she did). So if reporters are claiming to report facts only, that first line wouldn't work.

Another reporter could say "Cheney sat next to Bush looking thoughtful." Which reporter was right?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
aghast said:

The difference is in the adjectives used, Ghasty.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
glumly is an arguably subjective adjective but if cheney did pout, what should the reporter say, 'cheney sat and pouted' would work but it just means the writer wasnt really that good so instead of saying 'cheney slumped in his seat, slouched and pouted' she opted to say 'cheney sat glumly' - all it proves is that she is not very good writer ... i say 'arguably' because a writer reports what she sees and and not everything has to be black and white 'facts' such as 'fart' or 'pout' but if she translates 'pout' to 'glumly' does that really make her biased? because we writers use adjectives all the time, and journalists are writers - and even if she says 'cheney pouted' you may still argue 'how did she know it was a pout? maybe there was a piece of shrimp stuck on his lower lip' - so you can spin it anyway your want if you do believe reporters are biased - and none more biased than fox news by the way

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
aghast said:
not everything has to be black and white 'facts' such as 'fart' or 'pout'.

The part that isn't is known commonly as "bias."

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
call it bias then but i say its just sloppy writing, jk rowling style - aghast said glumly

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
too many willy lillies ... anyway, to me, 'cheney sat glumly' is not a bias, just an interpretation and poor writing and probably because of word count because if the reporter had written 'cheney sat, his shoulders slumping, his hands dug deep in his pockets, his lower lip jutting out, his eyes drooping' she will be fired by the editor for using too many words - 'sat glumly will do fine, sugar' - now if she wrote 'cheney sat there looking like he was going to kill bush and then himself with a shotgun' i would say shes biased

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
besides what do we expect? 'cheney jumped up and down and sang tomorrow, tomorrow from the show annie while hugging everyone in the hallway'?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first paragraph was kind of hinky. 'made nice' - doesn't sound very professional to me.

"It included: spending bills funding government's continued operation "with strong fiscal discipline and without diminishing our capacity to fight the war on terror;" legislation retroactively authorizing his warrantless domestic surveillance of suspected terrorists; energy legislation; and congressional approval for a landmark civilian nuclear cooperation agreement with India and for normalizing trade relations with Vietnam."

There's a nice long sentence that doesn't say much, especially the part in quotes but I consider the source.

Bias? Not much. A few places where a better word choice could have been used and not nearly as biased as some articles I've seen.

Facts and just the facts hasn't been taught in J school in a long time. But don't take my word for it. Dig through Poynter Online. 'Prof's study sure to delight... states a lot in the first paragraph.
YMMV
sorry to hijack back on topic. carry on.

Reaction score
aghast said:
besides what do we expect? 'cheney jumped up and down and sang tomorrow, tomorrow from the show annie while hugging everyone in the hallway'?

That's something you won't see everyday.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Democrats gave his Republicans a trouncing on Election Day

I don't have an issue with that. The GOP lost 29 seats. They didn't pick up any Dem seats in the House, Senate or governor seats. That's a trouncing.

I agree on the Cheney thing. Although he is glum 99% of the time. But if a person openly appears angry or confused or thrilled, you can't avoid all adjectives.

And "lame-duck session" is a pretty common term for "last 2 years of a president's term," so that's neither here nor there.

On an overall, though, Clary, I think you're incorrect. Most articles like this try to be straight-forward as possible. And one area where the right overreaches is to claim media bias in every last article that may have a criticism or state unpleasant facts about someone. It's one thing to claim bias on that CBS "Bush skipped out of the Guard" report (although faulty reporting and clinging too tightly to the thesis was more the issue there), but to dissect AP articles for subtle signs of bias? I don't see it. Occam's Razor, man. If you have to pick bias or sloppiness, generally you have to go with the latter.

The TV networks are more guilty of bias, depending on the theme that's running at the time. The "Democrats are weak" theme ran on and on for a long time without any real counterpoint; some of the networks have far more right-wing talking heads on than left-wing talking heads. On the other hand, I'd argue that the Virginia senate race probably stuck with the Macaca-racist-noose-in-his-office thing for quite a bit too long, and once that ball gets rolling, it's hard to turn it around, and the media just piles on.

I'm more disturbed by the media's penchant for playing up the horse-race aspects of every issue and playing every issue like it's political inside baseball.

"How will this play with soccer moms?" is like 55% of all the stories. Never mind that -- "how it will play" will be answered when the voters vote. Dear fluffy-haired anchor: You tell me the issue. I will respond to it in my way.

Or the articles that do the "How will the Iraq deaths affect Karl Rove?" Who gives a rat's *** how it affects Karl Rove? What about how it's affecting Iraq? America?

We need reporters to discern betwen one side and another, and to call bulls*** on things when they're out-and-out untruths, and lots of politicians mouth those things all the time. But for some reason now, maybe because of fear of being called biased, reporters don't come out and say, "Well, essentially you're full of crap." It's not a crime to do this. When a Rove type says "Democrats want to give terrorists flowers," and no Dem has ever said such a thing, it's fine for a reporter to write, "Mr. Rove, however, could not name any specific such incident in which a Democrat said this." You could say the same with Howard Dean and his comments on the emminent domain thing (robieae if you're there, see? I'm quoting you!) when he said "Bush wants to take your house away," and then point out, "But the people who voted for the decision were the traditionally more left-leaning members of the court."

The media's obligation beyond that, really, remains to document as much as possible, use anonymous sources judiciously but not shy away from it when it's needed, give both sides a chance to respond to charges and accusations, and put it as straight-forward as possible. But everything is all about the horse-race stuff, and it's annoying. TV really doesn't help this, and the shrill blowhards make it all the more worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.