Communication issues with agent

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm relatively new to the site and have been learning a lot just by reading. I hope someone here and give me some advice on a problem I have with my agent!

My first completed manuscript has been with an agent for almost a year now. In that year, however, there has been very little communication. When I asked to see copies of publisher responses to submissions (she only sent brief quotes of what they replied) she claimed she could not send them to me. Numerous emails with business-related questions have gone unanswered, and I was recently informed that she is leaving the agency and moving out of the country. I'm not crying any tears over this, as she completely failed to be my advocate when an interested publisher demanded everything be changed (the idea, it seems, was fine, but my application of it was *not* acceptable to this publisher).

I contacted the person at the agency who is supposed to be taking over representation and more than a week has gone by without a response. I'm sure this person is likely very busy now with the transition. The lack of communication, however, is a trend, and I'm concerned about staying signed with the agency.

Having said that, is a previously represented manuscript less likely to be of interest to new agents?

All insights welcome. Thanks!

Namatu

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I did sell the movie rights to the publisher, which I now think was probably not such a good idea...

Last edited:

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that your manuscript was good enough to be picked up by an agent (provided it's a reputable agency--I'm sure you did your homework in advance, right?) should work in your favor. While it may vary from individual to individual, most agents will admit they are prone to take a maunuscript more seriously if they know someone else wants it, too.
(This topic has been discussed on many of the agent blogs listed in this forum).

I suspect the problem has much to do with the minnow-in-a-huge-pond mentality. Your agent thought your work was good enough to take on, but didn't make you a top priority (she had bigger fish to fry!). Most likely, when the first rejections came in, she pretty much threw in the towel (the fact that she didn't follow-up on publisher suggestions says a lot--she had given up; it wasn't a priority anymore).
Now, insofar as providing detailed comments about your rejections--some agents will do this; others won't. It's not necessarily the mark of a bad or unprofessional agent. However, most reputable agents are at least willing to provide this kind of feedback if the client specifically requests it. Ignoring a client who is simply asking questions regarding things you have a right to know doesn't exactly bode well.

Also, the fact that she's left the agency and moved out of the country...well, there you go. She wasn't interested in the job anymore, let alone concerned about you or any of her clients.

A week isn't a terribly long time for an agent in transition. You might want to give it another month or so, but if I were you, I wouldn't stall around with this agency too long, for several reasons: 1. It's not good for you or anyone else when an agency starts playing "musical chairs" with their agents and clients. If it's a one-time thing, fine (after all, agents do leave agencies all the time) but if it happens again, it's a red flag. 2: You have to remember that the previous agent is the one who believed in your work and agreed to take you on. This new agent coming in hasn't a clue--he may be willing to represent you, just as a courtesy, but it doesn't mean he will be enthusiastic or willing to stand behind the manuscript as needed. It could very well end up being simply a "representation in name only" kind of thing. 3: You have to ask yourself if you really want to stick with an agency that you know, in your gut, hasn't made you a priority and as you say, offers little in the way of communication.

To get back to your original question, the only problem a new agent may have is that the work has already been shopped. You'll have to find out exactly where the manuscript was sent, who has already rejected it, and who may still be actively considering. This may be difficult information to pin down if the agency communicates as poorly as you say. But a new agent will need to know this information--they won't be able to submit to a house that has already rejected it, unless substantial revisions have been done.

I would give the new guy a chance, but after a month or so, adios. You don't want your work tied up indefinitely with an agency that isn't making you or your work a priority.

I don't really understand what you're saying with the movie rights. A publisher bought the movie rights but not the book? That seems a bit odd. I could understand a production company, but a publisher? At any rate, a good agent or lawyer can probably help you get out of it if it is, in fact, a bad deal. It sounds like that's what you need--a GOOD agent, working to your advantage. Good luck!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, blackbird, and the advice. You've confirmed a lot of the things I've been thinking. I did research the agent and, while it didn't sound like she had a very long or big track record, her enthusiasm for the project convinced me to give her a try.

Regarding the movie rights, it *is* a bit confusing. The publisher bought the rights to the idea, based on the manuscript, and planned to do a script treatment to shop around to studios. It's a French publisher. Maybe they work things a little differently there? I did what research I could at the time (of course the push was to decide right away) and asked a lot of questions, but still felt that I was operating in something of a vacuum. I did push back and get final approval of the script written into the contract, and I'm still waiting to the final product.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Since she'd moving and leaving the country could we ask who it is?
If it is a reputable agent, someone should know where the manuscript was sent.

If she's not, that actually kind of good news because it probably didn't get sent anywhere important.

The taboo on previously represented manuscipts is that if they have been shopped around like crazy, the new agent will have nowhere to send it. But if it's been shopped very lightly, you may be okay. Especially since the agent is moving and you are not (technically) parting because of un-resolvable issues.

HTH

Maprilynne

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Namatu, this all sounds odd to me. There's no reason why an agent "couldn't" send you publishers' responses--unless they were provided on the phone (in which case she should have told you this) or there were none. Her refusal to provide them to you is suspicious, as is her failure to respond to your emails.

The thing with the publisher also sounds very strange. When publishers buy a manuscript they may hold on to film rights (as opposed to letting the author keep them), but they don't buy film rights to books they aren't going to publish. When film rights are bought or optioned by studios, it's nearly always on the basis of an already-published or about-to-be-published book. Most books never sell or option film rights, anyway.

Did you get paid for this sale? Also, you said the publisher bought the rights to the idea. What exactly does this mean? Assuming it's possible, if someone owns the rights to your concept or story, you're not really going to be able to market your original manuscript somewhere else.

Who's the agent/agency? Respond privately if you prefer, either by PM or to [email protected].

- Victoria

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. I'm assuming she gave you a list of the places where she submitted your work.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I do have a list of the places the manuscript was submitted, nice sounding places like HarperCollins, Ballantine, Doubleday... It definitely looks like it's been shopped around, but I see now that my list is incomplete in terms of responses. I'm sure there's little chance now of getting that from her.

I've sent the saga to Victoria (thank you!). I appreciate all of the responses here. I won't really say any more until I've heard back from Victoria, but I'm pretty sure I've been snuckered. I did research! I asked questions! I was aware of the warning signs - they just didn't start showing up until a few months after the contract was signed. -sigh-

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm very new to this agent thing. I sent a query blitz out and received a request for partial. I sent the partial to the first requesting agent, then a couple of weeks later, received additional requests. Oddly enough, my first request came from my preferred agency. I'm waiting for that agency's response but am now beginning to get antsy. Is it okay to let that agency know I have additional requests or would it cause feathers to be ruffled?

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
Unless your preferred agent requested an exclusive (which would be very rare just on a partial) you are perfectly free to follow up on those other requests. I would go ahead and get those other requests mailed right away; don't wait to see what one agent is going to do (you could be waiting an eternity). If your preferred agent offers representation, you can always politely tell the others that you have accepted an offer.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I'm not very good at being patient and longsuffering. Now, insecurity, I'm really good at that. I'm so glad I found you guys. Insecurity shared is halved, right?

Carolina

That's my question, too, Appalachian. I've had several agents ask for a partial and a few ask for the whole thing. I've sent them all out - no one said anything about an exclusive. Is that wrong? And, let me take it a step further. If you have outstanding submissions and query letters while an agent has asked to rep you -- and you're very seriously considering this agent - do you continue to send out partials? Or queries? Or is that just bad form? Someone answered a letter asking for my first three chapters and because I haven't signed anything I'm not sure if I should continue looking around or what?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
That's my question, too, Appalachian. I've had several agents ask for a partial and a few ask for the whole thing. I've sent them all out - no one said anything about an exclusive. Is that wrong?

Not at all.

And, let me take it a step further. If you have outstanding submissions and query letters while an agent has asked to rep you -- and you're very seriously considering this agent - do you continue to send out partials? Or queries? Or is that just bad form?

If I'm understanding what you're asking, yes, that would be bad form. If you have an offer on the table that you're seriously considering, now's the time to start wrapping up your outstanding requests. For those agents who already have requested partials and fulls, it's a good idea to send them an email (or call them I guess, though I emailed) letting them know you have an offer. Tell them the deadline in which you plan to make your decision and ask if they're still interested in considering you.

Someone answered a letter asking for my first three chapters and because I haven't signed anything I'm not sure if I should continue looking around or what?

I would follow the same steps as above. Let them know you have an offer and you'll be making a decision by [date].

In my situation, I let all those with fulls know I was making a decision by [date]. (I gave them a week's notice. Not sure what others give.) Those who'd requested partials, I just sent a thanks but didn't check if they were still interested, since I figured they wouldn't want to rush through the partial and then full so quickly. One of them did ask if I'd yet agreed to an offer and when I said I hadn't, she dug my partial out of her stack and looked it over (and passed).