Script protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

macneacail

Can I please get some info/links/feedback on how best to protect a script when pitching? What about sign prior to reading cover pages?

-A

SimonSays

Mac -

You can register your script with the WGA or you can copyright it, but that will NOT protect you while pitching.

You cannot copyright an idea. Chances are that if the producer likes the pitch he will make YOU sign a release protecting HIM before reading your script. This is not because the producer wants to steal from you, it is because many people come up with similar ideas - and they do not want to be sued by you if they wind up producing a film by some other writer that is similar to your idea.

Most producers are not looking for ideas to steal when they let writers pitch them. They are looking for scripts to develop.

If you are attending an organized pitching event or pitching one on one to a legitimate producer that you have access to, then go ahead and pitch your project without concern.

joecalabre

I ain't touching this subject again.

I'll go with what Simon says.

macneacail

my script is (c) and reg. with the WGA, should I put this info on the cover sheet? Thanks for your info...If there is a good thread on this already please advise.

cheers

SimonSays

Do what makes you comfortable.

I have seen producers that require WGA registration for all submissions. If it's required definitely put the info on the cover page, if not it's up to you.

Just remember - protection on intellectual property does NOT proactively prevent anyone from stealing your work, it only gives you proof so that you will have legal remedies should you be ripped off.

Don't lose sleep over it. You will be judged on your writing not what what you do or don't have on your cover page.

BROUGHCUT

There may be some obscure contests that ask for it, but WGA numbers simply do not belong on cover pages.

I would be wary of any producer that regarded WGA registration as a prerequisite. Recommend it, sure, whatever. But not require it.

If the producer is concerned about abstract of title then they should require copyright registration with the LOC.

(btw the "c" has to be in an enclosed circle to be a valid copyright symbol. If you use "(c)" in a copyright notice in lieu of the word "copyright" the notice is legally void in the US and abroad.)

Hamboogul

Over the past two years, I've compiled about 100 scripts (sold, not sold, sold and made, from famous writers, from not-as-famous). I've never seen a single script with registration number or even WGA-w marking on any.

Just work with legitimate people.

JustinoXV

Do not put that info in the cover sheet. I've not seen any professional scripts, where submitted, sold, shooting, or made scripts that include copyright or WGA info on the sheet.

Legit producers have no interest in stealing your work. Just deal with them.

As for con artists, they tend to be just interested in your money (if you run across them). People on the fringe have no ability to produce anything that will be in the theaters or in cable, so even if they tried stealing your idea it would do them no good.

In other words, just continue submitting until you get something.

JustinoXV

I have seen producers, however, that require that you put either WGA registration or Copyright registration numbers in the release forms that you send them. This is almost standard. I've come across one agent that does this as well.

joecalabre

Here we go again. I'm staying out of it this time.
Now, you kids don't play too rough!

JustinoXV

I have seen producers, however, that require that you put either WGA registration or Copyright registration numbers in the release forms that you send them. This is almost standard. I've come across one agent that does this as well.

SimonSays

Re: Script Protection

In the end it's what you have written between FADE IN and FADE OUT that counts.

No one is going to pass on a great script because you write WGA reg. on the cover. No one is going to refuse to read your script because you have a copyright notice on the cover and No one is going to buy a bad script because you don't put this stuff on the cover.

The fact is, most people don't pay close enough attention to your cover page to notice one way or the other and most people don't care.

dchapma123

btw the "c" has to be in an enclosed circle to be a valid copyright symbol. If you use "(c)" in a copyright notice in lieu of the word "copyright" the notice is legally void in the US and abroad.

I don't believe this for a second. Copyright isn't determined by whether you put a symbol on the work. When you choose to indicate copyright on your cover page, you're merely stating that you've registered the script with the Library of Congress Copyrights Office. They don't rip up your registration if you type (c) somewhere.

macneacail

Thanks to all, and sorry to hit on a touchy subject. I have actually studied copyright law at Uni and I am often reminded of friendly advice from one of my profs: "trust no one", My script is too damn important to take a chance. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but that's just the way I am with this one. Plus why should anyone care unless well you know... Now my next question is thus: which is better WGA , USCO or both? Also, I have a code number from WGA but not one from USCO because they take 4 to 5 months to send out the official docs (damn bureaucrats!!) Can I call them for this info?

I love you guys...

dchapma123

Now my next question is thus: which is better WGA , USCO or both?

Be prepared for more conflicting responses. I recommend, unless you're seriously hurting for cash, you just go ahead and do both. Apparently some producers care a lot about the WGA thing, but LOC is the only one that's actually recognized in court. If you're really going to "trust no one", just do them both. You'll have to reregister with the WGA after ten years (I think).

I wouldn't worry about the registration number unless it's requested of you.

SimonSays

Mac

Because you are paranoid - put both. You will sleep better at night, and I guarantee that your script will still be read and will not be marked down - there is no place on the coverage form that has little checkboxes for incorrect formatting on the cover page.

The copyright sign and the year is sufficient.

Writing Again

I've been writing all my life.

I always figured this: Anyone who stole from me would only have one story: the one they stole: I will create a thousand more.

Only once in all those years was anything ever stolen from me.

A guy broke into the trunk of my car...Found a bunch of my ms: first to third draft; some were hand written synopses: He sent them off to magazines.

Later he told everyone what a lousy writer I was because, "Not one piece of that crap sold to anyone."

dpaterso

A great smorgasbord of advice in this thread, as always!

To add to the cheese, I believe WGA registration lasts 5 years not 10 -- that's what it says on the certificate, anyway. ProtectRite and others offer 10 years for a couple bucks less. Me, I don't care who holds an electronic copy of my script, as long as they produce it and confirm date of registration to the judge if and when the need ever arises.

macneacail,

"My script is too damn important to take a chance." -- that good, wow! Remember us when you hit the big-time. By then, use of SUPER: and flashbacks will be second nature to you. ;)

WA,

A guy broke into the trunk of my car...Found a bunch of my ms: first to third draft; some were hand written synopses: He sent them off to magazines.
Later he told everyone what a lousy writer I was because, "Not one piece of that crap sold to anyone."

So did you track him down, and did he die screaming in agony?

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

BROUGHCUT

I don't believe this for a second. Copyright isn't determined by whether you put a symbol on the work. When you choose to indicate copyright on your cover page, you're merely stating that you've registered the script with the Library of Congress Copyrights Office. They don't rip up your registration if you type (c) somewhere.

You already quoted me back so I don't see why I should have to repeat myself. I said the notice would be void, not the copyright. You would therefore lose any additional legal protections a notice provides (let's not go there again) in the US and abroad if you omitted the word "copyright" and used this shorthand instead of the proper symbol, as "(c)" is legally meaningless the world over. I think the abbreviation "Copr." is only recognised in the United States and even the word "copyright" may not even have legal standing in some countries. The only expression that does have universal recognition is the copyright symbol -- a 'c' within an enclosed circle.

So far as tearing up registration certificates, it is exceptionally difficult to get a copyright registration invalidated. I believe it has to be proven that you wilfully committed fraud on the form.

I kept that quick note down to a single sentence for a reason. The reason these threads become so protracted is because people insist upon colouring simple factual statements with their own opinions.

JustinoXV

Re: brevity

You can go to www.scriptsales.com. Call the production companies and agencies that are listed on there (legit, mainstream companies).

But if you are going to be paranoid, I'll describe what happens behind the scenes.

A script that is submitted to a prodco or agency is read by script readers/interns. They write a one page synopsis of your script, whether or not the producers should pass or consider it, and whether or not the producers should pass or consider the writer.

Often your script will be read by several script readers. They are not on the payrolls of the companies general, so there is no proof that any of them worked there.

So it is quite possible that someone will be inspired by your work. But that's true of all levels of the game. I can watch the movie pretty woman, decide I like it, and write my own script about a man falling for a hooker. The deal is, ideas are not copyrightable/protectable. The original expression of them is, which means I can't copy pretty women. My own script about a hooker has to be my own work.

As for someone "stealing your script" that won't happen for three reasons. It is assumed you know about registration, and script readers consider most scripts sent their way garbage. Just look at the comments of some of the people on this forum towards Zoetrope, or look at the things Simon has said. As for the producers, they can't write, so there is no way they'd take a writers work and simply stamp their names on it.

dchapma123

I said the notice would be void, not the copyright.

Okay, I'll bite. What protections does a "notice" provide that simply owning the copyright doesn't?

BROUGHCUT

For the sake of this forum I am not going to bite back

This specific point was covered almost ad nauseum in a recent thread: http://p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm1.showMessage?topicID=883.topic

I apologise for being abrupt earlier. You are not the troll who insists on making factually inaccurate posts, you merely misread what a wrote. :gone

To get this back on topic, a script won't not be read if you put "Registered WGA" or (worse still) the registration number on the title page, but it may well become a lower priority and it will probably be opened with negative preconceptions, since the only scripts submitted with WGA numbers are by amateur writers. Not a good idea to do something that will lead a busy reader to infer that your script more than likely belongs on their figurative 'process' pile, they may allocate their time accordingly and end up giving it short shrift no matter what.

The only time I can see WGA registration coming into its own is if you want to keep a record tracking the progress of material written on a 'work for hire' basis (when the writer can not register the script with the LOC, as they don't own the copyright). That said, I don't think that scripts are called in from registration for credit arbitration and at the end of the day basic convenience is probably the only thing it has going for it.

macneacail

It would be a hard task today to find so gracious a fellowship in any forum. Thank you for your replies. Admittedly when I did study © law, it was all primarily within the context of music…so I am embarking on new territory. What seems fair to me is that I have some sort of documentation that logs who reads my script and when. This seems a harmless thing to request of a reader, and it is of course in the best interest of the writer under law to keep track of such details. I will be giving my script to real friends in the business that will in turn pass it along to others. It is not my friends that I am concerned with but rather the “others”. Back to my original question: I just want the who and when documented by a signature. In order that I receive this, is the original cover sheet returned to me, or at some point do I receive a copy of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.