PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Torchwood Fans Here?

PenelopePitstop
11-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Altho the acting is a bit 'pantomine'... I'm really hooked on this Dr Who spin off.

Anyone else agree? Disagree? See last night's episode?

Pthom
11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Have only heard of it. Here in the States, we haven't had the pleasure of watching. But what I have heard is similar to your reaction.

PenelopePitstop
11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
^ it's just really Dr Who for grown-ups... a bit more naughty bits and hide behind the cushion bits ;)

LeslieB
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I've seen the first two episodes and I enjoyed them. It's definitely steamier than Doctor Who. But the buzz that I had heard was that it would be aimed firmly at adults.

That reminds me, Hubby said he had more episodes for us to watch (Yippee internet!)

Evaine
11-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Torchwood is very enjoyable - though I did have a nightmare after the Cyber-girlfriend episode (it involved David Tennant, though, so it wasn't all bad).

What was quite scary in the "ghost" episode was that the old man was played by Gareth Thomas - Blake, of Blake's Seven!

PenelopePitstop
11-16-2006, 01:41 PM
When you get a chance to see episode 5 (about the fairies), one word of advice...

Don't watch it before bedtime!

It's very scary and I've been up most of the night :(

johnzakour
11-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure if Touchwood has a home yet in the US. I am assuming the Sci Fi channel there will run it but I haven't heard anything.

I'm anxious to see it. I generally like the new Dr. Who.

Is Touchwood available online anywhere?

Jz

J. Weiland
11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure if Touchwood has a home yet in the US.

I'm sure this will be on one of the channels that go on after midnight.

:ROFL:

:D

Maprilynne
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Love Torchwood! Almost as much as Dr. Who.:)

Maprilynne

johnzakour
11-17-2006, 03:36 AM
So, where are you all seeing Torchwood? Any links I've found have been "UK only". :(

PenelopePitstop
11-17-2006, 02:34 PM
As of December 26, 2006 you can actually buy Series 1 on DVD.

Otherwise maybe they will start showing it on BBC America.

Flapdoodle
11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Altho the acting is a bit 'pantomine'... I'm really hooked on this Dr Who spin off.

Anyone else agree? Disagree? See last night's episode?

I managed 20 minutes of the first episode. Terrible. Worst than RTD's Dr Who episodes. The guy cannot write...

The BBC has gone from making excellent SF by folk like Nigel Kneale and Fred Hoyle to panto garbage like this.

PenelopePitstop
11-19-2006, 03:45 PM
^ Fair enough - I guess it's not for everyone.

I'm not sure what that says about me though as I love it!!! ;)

Flapdoodle
11-19-2006, 07:39 PM
:D This cracks me up. The boyfriend has become so thoroughly disgusted with RTD that when I write any sf, I now ask him "well, is it better than a RTD plot?"

A friend of mine watched the new Dr Who and said it had been "touched by the hand of sh*t" aka RTD.

Momento Mori
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I agree with Flapdoodle - it's absolute garbage with the kind of soap opera dialogue and storylines that they wouldn't accept on Eastenders. It wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that every single member of the Torchwood team is completely useless and/or a whingey little so-and-so and/or had a charisma by-pass.

It's like RTD decided to make SF light and add boobies, panties and a bit of girl-on-girl action to try and grab the mainstream.

PenelopePitstop
11-23-2006, 01:38 PM
So Torchwood kept me awake all night scared out of my wits... and I thought it was brilliant again! *takes cover* ;)

However, I have to say that I am getting a little annoyed at the fact that it is mean't to be a very adult show - and it is :eek: - but they still insist on some very childish scenes!!!

I want to be careful about saying too much cause I know there are peeps on this forum who would like to watch Torchwood but haven't been able to yet and I don't want to ruin story lines etc... but last night's scenes went from very scary, very sexy - great - but then right in the middle of the prog a, quite frankly, embarassing slow mo action scene that was just silly.

Still loved it tho :)

Selcaby
11-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't know. I keep watching it because I want to know what it will reveal. But I don't like any of the characters - even Jack, who I loved in the 5 Doctor Who episodes he was in. He's lost all the light-heartedness I liked in him. Gwen is too normal. Owen is horrible to everybody even when he likes them. I can't imagine how come Ianto hasn't been fired. Toshiko has only just stopped being completely boring, so I'm still watching her.

Last night my DVD recorder chewed up two DVDs. If it does the same with my current Torchwood DVD when I'm recording the next episode, I won't be particularly sorry.

Evaine
11-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Gwen is supposed to be normal, though, isn't she? The others have been working with aliens and the rift for a lot longer than she has.
And in Doctor Who, Captain Jack was the sidekick - he wasn't responsible for anyone apart from himself. Here he is responsible for the whole team - and we've seen what happened in his past that makes him take that very seriously indeed.

On a tangent, my boyfriend has a theory about Ianto Jones. He's about the right age to be the son of Jo Grant, the Third Doctor's Companion who left him to get married to a Professor Jones, and go off into the Amazonian rainforest to look for mushrooms.

PenelopePitstop
11-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Last night's episode was fantastic! :D

Evaine
12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm getting very fond of Tosh.

Ardellis
12-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I've only seen the first 3 episodes, and I'm enjoying it a great deal. Can't wait until *somebody* in the States picks it up for broadcast.

I like this darker, more distant Jack. Although I miss the lightheartedness he had in Doctor Who, it would make no sense if he hadn't changed quite a bit because of what happened on the Game Station. I'm becoming quite fond of well-meaning, down-to-earth Gwen. Tosh intrigues me. I don't know enough about Ianto to have an opinion yet (I understand ep. 4 gives him a bit of real screentime, so we'll see). Owen's a bit of a git. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, from a storytelling perspective, and as my husband pointed out to me, these people are all serious, hard-core geeks (rather like us and most of our friends) -- it would be extremely unbelievable if at least one of them didn't have obvious deficiencies in dealing with people.

And I really enjoyed seeing Gareth Thomas again in Ghost Machine. I knew he was still kicking around, but I don't think we've seen him on this side of the pond since Blake's 7.

Evaine
12-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I didn't recognise Gareth Thomas. I just saw his name in the credits and went "What??!!!"

Poor Ianto.

PenelopePitstop
12-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Wow... it just get's better and better!

johnzakour
12-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm hoping Sci Fi picks it up once they run out of Dr. Who season 2 (well sort of season 2. I think it's more like 20...)

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 06:07 AM
David Tennant voted the best Doctor ever? It just goes to show people have very short memories when it comes to polls.

That said, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating biscuits. :)

ETA: And here's (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6211584.stm) the link.