aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on, Bonobo.

Bonobo

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I posted the rejection and then got freaked that it was inappropriate to post it.

I'm going to print it out and put it next to my desk so I can keep my feet on the ground and remember why I have a day job.

Bonobo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Well, this was a response to a request for a full proposal, after the query. The agent liked the writing and the concept, but he thinks the story itself is too much like little vignettes and not an engrossing story line. So it's more an issue with the way I chose to present the story as opposed to the sample chapters themselves. Unfortunately, I did *choose* to do that. So maybe I made the wrong choice.

Now today, an editor is expressing interest.

smf222

Registered
Reaction score
But maybe you didn't make the wrong choice. This particular agent may not have liked it, but chances are there might be another agent who appreciates the way you presented the story. Chin up.

Good luck with the interested editor!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion, no one knows what will really sell once it's out there. I know advice is a dime a dozen but I put my rejections away for posterity and try (I'm not perfect, either) to focus on the people who say they love my writing (it's not common, but it happens, often after a disproportionate number of disconcerting comments and form rejections). That's who I'm ultimately writing for aside from myself, of course. Have faith in your vision, revise more only if you feel it's right for the work. Best of luck.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Editors expressing interest in your work is extremely encouraging. Just because the narrative style of your writing didn't float one agent's boat, doesn't mean the next agent won't think it's the best thing since sliced bread (and kudos to you if you managed to wade through that mess of double negatives!).

Stick to your style for now. After 100 rejections, you might consider a revision. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.