What is the absolute first thing the democrats MUST work on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
on their first day in power this January?

Reaction score
dclary said:
on their first day in power this January?

Voting to authorize and ask the President to send in 100,000 more troops to win this thing once and for all.

And then they'll probably change the Friday lunch in the Capitol cafeteria from Hamburger and fries to Organic Weed Surprise.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
First thing they must work on is a coming together on a clear vision/agenda that isn't based solely on "Bush sucks."

Reaction score
First thing they must work on is a coming together on a clear vision/agenda that isn't based solely on "Bush sucks."

Well, at least we'll finally have a chance to win in Iraq.

One last unified shot.

The democrats are now invested in success over there. They're now partially in charge instead of sitting on the sidelines complaining. Whole different ballgame and frame of mind.

Hopefully, we can all come up with something together that works.

Hopefully, the democrats have a plan of some sort to help make things better over there.

More troops. Whatever. Let's win.

"Win!"
Adrian Balboa

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I think a lot of moderate conservatives voted for Democrats this time - that's probably so obvious that it looks dumb of me to say it, but I say it because I think the Democrats need to be a bit grateful for that and stop tarring all of us with such a heavy and broad brush of contempt. My hope is that my vocal liberal fellow humans can end the many anti-religious and anti-spiritual assumptions and behaviors that have increasingly become part of the liberal culture.

A number of liberal people I respect enormously for their intellect often say things that are very divisive and hurtful. I'm not an idiot. I'm not a religious bigot, either. Not all conservative people are alike - don't discount them all because of the ones that put Bush in office. Some of us were Democrats once but as the party moved further and further left we just couldn't follow.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
DrSpork said:

Excellent point. I was kinda hoping that by pointing them toward new projects they could use those projects as future campaign planks.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Dawno said:
I think a lot of moderate conservatives voted for Democrats this time - that's probably so obvious that it looks dumb of me to say it, but I say it because I think the Democrats need to be a bit grateful for that and stop tarring all of us with such a heavy and broad brush of contempt. My hope is that my vocal liberal fellow humans can end the many anti-religious and anti-spiritual assumptions and behaviors that have increasingly become part of the liberal culture.

A number of liberal people I respect enormously for their intellect often say things that are very divisive and hurtful. I'm not an idiot. I'm not a religious bigot, either. Not all conservative people are alike - don't discount them all because of the ones that put Bush in office. Some of us were Democrats once but as the party moved further and further left we just couldn't follow.

Well said, sparkly marmot.

Reaction score
Dawno said:

Yes. Well said.

And don't worry, Dawno.

Dclary and I are already hard at work, as you can see. This couldn't be more perfect to be quite honest.

Now, everything is up for grabs in 2008 and the American people will get a little taste of the democrats. And that's usually enough. If we won tonight, I sincerely believe we could have lost EVERYTHING in 2008. People just want a change for changes sake sometimes. This was the best way to quench that possible desire that may have reared it's ugly head in 2008.

Now, the road to the White House and the re-taking of Congress ONCE AND FOR ALL is there for the taking.

All will be well in the end.

I promise.

I'm on it.

:)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Pushing for Bush to be impeached, and squashing all of his stupid and dangerous(for America) ideas.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
From all of the Democrats I saw running, all of them ran on anti-Bush, anti-war platform. That's fine - its what people are concerned about.

What bothered me is the discussion of the Baker-Hamilton report. From silence on options, no position but firm opposition, the Dems switched immediately (on Election Day no less) to hiding behind the results of the B-H report with no platform individually or collectively.

If I had voted Dem, I would feel like I had just watched a game of 3 card monte, and picked the one I thought was an ace, and turned out to be an Uno "Draw 3" card.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
And then they'll probably change the Friday lunch in the Capitol cafeteria from Hamburger and fries to Organic Weed Surprise.

:) That's friggin' hilarious. But we'll keep the fries. They'll just be air-baked fries.

I think a lot of moderate conservatives voted for Democrats this time - that's probably so obvious that it looks dumb of me to say it, but I say it because I think the Democrats need to be a bit grateful for that and stop tarring all of us with such a heavy and broad brush of contempt.

I think the Democrats have worked pretty hard on that, actually. A lot of conservative Democrats were winners. I think what moved a lot of Republicans over this time was the heavy brush of contempt and labels of "traitor" "treasonist" and "appeaser" that was being put on anyone who didn't agree with the administration's destructive policies, particularly in Iraq. Getting called a traitor to your country for disagreement, no matter how vocal, really gets old after a while.

As for what we should work on?

1 - hearings into Iraq contracts and various other nefarious pieces of business. Oversight in general. To me that's the biggest reason for the Democratic win, really. The Bush Admin says things are great, and the Congress would say, "Yeah, it's all good."
2 - moving forward/redeploying in Iraq. Billy, we all had a stake in it, and still do.
3 - minimum wage
4 - anything else that annoys Clary ;)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
TheGaffer said:
:)
1 - hearings into Iraq contracts and various other nefarious pieces of business. Oversight in general. To me that's the biggest reason for the Democratic win, really. The Bush Admin says things are great, and the Congress would say, "Yeah, it's all good."
2 - moving forward/redeploying in Iraq. Billy, we all had a stake in it, and still do.
3 - minimum wage
4 - anything else that annoys Clary ;)

1. I agree. Especially as a Republican -- I would want to punish anyone within my own party whose malfeasance helped turn the tide against us. These are FAR worse enemies to our cause than the democrats. Cleaning house is NEVER a bad thing.

3. Didn't they just raise minimum wage? Or was that California only? Personally, I've never seen any ill effects from the minimum wage going up (just long term price inflation, but that's inevitable anyway) -- other than the relative value of my own salary diminishing. I have no problem with a minimum wage increase. This helps everyone, albeit in a "cut off the end of your blanket and sew it to the other end of your blanket to make it longer" sort of way.

4. Doh!

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they just raise minimum wage? Or was that California only?
Must have been California only. Hasn't been a min. wage increase since the mid-90s, and the purchasing power of it has diminished sharply.

Especially as a Republican -- I would want to punish anyone within my own party whose malfeasance helped turn the tide against us. These are FAR worse enemies to our cause than the democrats. Cleaning house is NEVER a bad thing.

I'm big in favor of a "non-sucking" government. If your position is that there should be more government, fine. Less government, fine. But no matter how big, I always want the government to have a couple of guys around who do nothing but look at charts and papers and say "I'm not sure you should be doing this." keeps you on your toes. Republicans used to have a lot of these types, people who were going to approach anything with the cautious, "Well, er, I don't know about this..." kind of thing. In the mid-90s that was replaced with "If Clinton did it, it must be illegal and he must have murdered someone to cover it up," which immediately shifted to "Our s*** don't stink" in 2000.

I don't like total hacks. And a number of real hacks and/or nutjobs lost their jobs last night (or in the last few months). Sweeney, Sherwood, Weldon, Delay, Ney, Duke Cunningham, Cynthia McKinney, Santorum. With any luck that Jefferson dude, a blight on the Dem party, will get axed soon too, somehow.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
the first thing one their agenda: stop dividing the country and start the healing/unification process - bush asks to work with him and it would be easy to say 'yeah right bozo, you didnt want to work with us in the last six years' but it will be a good thing to show the world that the democrats are uniters, not a divider like g w bush - the second thing on their agenda is to get rid of all the hate-based policies based on race, sexual orientation, religion, etc. it ties back to agenda 1 - unite, not divide

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Yes. Well said.

Now, everything is up for grabs in 2008 and the American people will get a little taste of the democrats. And that's usually enough. If we won tonight, I sincerely believe we could have lost EVERYTHING in 2008. People just want a change for changes sake sometimes. This was the best way to quench that possible desire that may have reared it's ugly head in 2008.

Now, the road to the White House and the re-taking of Congress ONCE AND FOR ALL is there for the taking.

wow... on one hand youre saying lets work together then in the next breath youre being divisive again -- is it all just a game to you, win win win... anything to win... so to lose 2006 so we can win 2008... you dont want the united states to unite and succeed, you want to divide, once again in 2008 because 'losing' is so horrible to you - its all about winning isnt it - so this is just a fluke, people just want a taste of change, and in 2008 it will be back to the gop again because god forbid theres only one right path for the country and that is repulbicans - thank you, your real seams are showing - so you can just stop this 'congrats democrats' charade and say exactly what you really want to say - that you wish the democrats will just cease to exist or fail miserably in the next two years so you can claim 'see, vote republican because democrats are awful'... i think thats really what you want to say - you want the democrats to fail so bad just as the liberals wanted bush to fail so bad - in the end, its the country that will suffer

people dont want a divided nation anymore and they want to see it stop - its up to the two parties to work together to unite us again, and it starts with people like you and me, mr thrilly

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Just out of curiousity, Aghast... Both sides want to win every year, right?

So why do you say that when Democrats win, it unites the country, but when Republicans win, it divides them?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I think Pelosi is smart enough (she seemed to indicate she was 2 weeks ago when she said they wouldn't consider impeachment if they won) to realize that she's in the same spot Newt was in 1994 -- and impeaching Bush will be as successful as impeaching Clinton was: that is, not at all.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
dclary said:
Just out of curiousity, Aghast... Both sides want to win every year, right?

So why do you say that when Democrats win, it unites the country, but when Republicans win, it divides them?
Well, I'd say that's based around the Newt strategy develped in 92 of divide the country with fear and morality politics.

So, maybe more this crop of "neocons" rather than the more mainstream Repubs?

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
a return of habeus corpus
an end to the despotic powers given Bush in the UnPatriot Act.
a return to due process
an end to cruel and unusual punishment, an end to torture.
and at least some minor overture that we hold ourselves to the Geneva convention.

In short, a return to the country that fought the king of england because he did all these things to us and we vowed to never do them ourselves.

If we don't lead with our best principles, we're dogs chasing our tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.