Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I hope things go well for you.

I have heard that a lame-duck president traditionally loses 30-32 seats in the house, so I'm not sure your gain really defines a "mandate," and I'm not sure the number of seats you gained was a result of your "new direction" since your new direction looks a lot like your old direction. However, I'm willing to work with you as you try to make America better.

As long as everyone remembers we're all in this together, and we should work for goals set forth in our Constitution's preamble, you can count on me to debate you fiercely until the die is cast, and then roll up my sleeves and do the work that's set out to do once we set our course.

Again, congrats. We'll getcha in 2008! ;)

Reaction score
I'm just happy to hear all the democrats elected and re-elected tonight talking about how we need to win in Iraq and that we should send in more troops.

Speaking of which, where are the rest of our troops?

I grew up hearing about how we could fight TWO WARS in TWO THEATERS at the same time.

What happened with that? Did Clinton so annihiliate the military?

Seriously, where the heck are all the troops?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, Dems have only had control of the House for like 5 minutes, and already Billy and Dclary are blaming Bush's debacles on them.

I can set my watch now.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
??

I blamed someone? I was congratulating them.

Spork's critical reading skills: D-

Reaction score
DrSpork said:
Wow, Dems have only had control of the House for like 5 minutes, and already Billy and Dclary are blaming Bush's debacles on them.

I can set my watch now.

Actually, we started earlier, symbolically.

I'm now invested in failure.

LOL...

Everything changes.

Gaffer: The economy is looking great!!

Actually, it's a tightrope for you Gaffer. You can't be too happy because you want the WHite House, but you can't be too critical because you're in control of the congress...etc...It's a balancing act.

Good luck!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Spork is just jealous. He doesn't understand bipartisan compromise. Too many syllables.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Three seats left in the senate.
Three races where the dems hold a thin lead.
Three seats needed by Dems for a majority in the Senate. Can they do it?

Reaction score
emeraldcite said:
Three seats left in the senate.
Three races where the dems hold a thin lead.
Three seats needed by Dems for a majority in the Senate. Can they do it?

What are you watching?

It's done.

I promise.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
dclary said:
I hope things go well for you.

I have heard that a lame-duck president traditionally loses 30-32 seats in the house, so I'm not sure your gain really defines a "mandate," and I'm not sure the number of seats you gained was a result of your "new direction" since your new direction looks a lot like your old direction. However, I'm willing to work with you as you try to make America better.

As far as congratulations go, this smells a lot like a show of contempt. It's kind of like, "I apologize, but you shouldn't have blah blah blah..."

As far as "mandates" are concerned, 51% is now the definition, thanks to Dubya. I always thought 2/3 majority had to be reached before the word could be tossed, but I'm not about to argue with a Yale graduate. ;)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Is it time for that old standard by The Who, yet?

Like I said, if the Dems didn't make some major gains in this election, something would have been very, very wrong.

Sadly, the two Dems I voted for both lost.

Of course, a good number of the House seats that they Dems scored on are now occupied by people a good deal more conservative than some Repubs...

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, a good number of the House seats that they Dems scored on are now occupied by people a good deal more conservative than some Repubs...

Oh, yeah. This meme. There were always conservative Democrats, and continue to be conservative Democrats. This is just a victory for a bit of accountability.

And thanks for that sour-grapes congrats, Clary. ;)

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
Now, like parents returning home from a weekend trip, the Democrats can come in, survey the damage, and try to clean up the mess the children have made in their absence.

I 'm pretty sure Rumsfeld put his resume up on monster.com this morning.

:D

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh glorious day. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Now, I'd like to ship Clary off to Mexico and have him work the fields over there while living in a small shack.

Billy can stay though.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Yay! I'll accept your congratulations, even though technically I'm not a Democrat, more of an Independent who tends to lean more toward the Dems than Repubs...I'm just looking forward to some checks and balances once again. And yes, I do agree that we can't just run for the hills away from Iraq. But something DEFINITELY needs to be done differently if any headway is to be made there.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
SC Harrison said:
As far as congratulations go, this smells a lot like a show of contempt. It's kind of like, "I apologize, but you shouldn't have blah blah blah..."

I'm just trying to show good sportsmanship. I may not be good at it, but I'm trying.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
TheGaffer said:
And thanks for that sour-grapes congrats, Clary. ;)

I honestly don't get this.

In 2000, 2002 and 2004, the day after the election, the democrats' universal response was "f*ck you republicans, you lying cheating sacks of sh*t! you cheating manipulative f*cking bastards! Rot in your own excrement, you mother f*ckers!" (This may actually be an exact quote from either Hero4Sale, GregLondon or Blackheart)

But it's not enough that you guys win. In addition to haranguing me for congratulating you on your win, you're going to pound on me if I'm not enthusiastic about losing?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
FatTire said:
Now, I'd like to ship Clary off to Mexico and have him work the fields over there while living in a small shack.

I'd like to stay either in Puerto Vallarta or near Chichen Itza, please. Those were my two favorite stops in Mexico.

And as long as the shack has internet, I should be ok.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
TheGaffer said:
This is just a victory for a bit of accountability.
I don't disagree at all. There's no reason to suppose anything different. Though I have to say, the same-old same-old on both sides of the aisle still seem to run free...eh, par for the course.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
In 2000, 2002 and 2004, the day after the election, the democrats' universal response was "f*ck you republicans, you lying cheating sacks of sh*t! you cheating manipulative f*cking bastards! Rot in your own excrement, you mother f*ckers!" (This may actually be an exact quote from either Hero4Sale, GregLondon or Blackheart)

But it's not enough that you guys win. In addition to haranguing me for congratulating you on your win, you're going to pound on me if I'm not enthusiastic about losing?

Ok, ok. Fair enough. :)

I'm mainly disputing one point - the idea that they somehow didn't really win because the GOP was expected to lose. Six months ago this was hardly a foregone conclusion, for one thing. Second, the average change in seats since around 1970, I believe, is about 14 seats, so we did very well. Also, the GOP didn't pick up anything held by a Dem, not in the House, Senate or any governorship. So this is a pretty big-a** kicking, not a minor win. That's more what I was disputing.

But yes, your thoughts on how the Democrats responded is about on, but but I'd recharacterize those responses a bit.

1. In 2000, you're right. Absolutely. But there's a damn, DAMN good reason why we reacted that way. We don't need to get into it again.

2. No, in 2002 this wasn't the response. The response in 2002 was a lot of the circular firing squad. "Why didn't you guys stand up and fight? For anything? At all? Hello? The President is ramming through a WAR RESOLUTION and you're meekly voting for it so you can go back and talk about prescription drugs???"

3. In 2004, you're about on-target. But if you remember, this wasn't the response in 1984, when Reagan got 57% of the vote. Or in 1988. People on my side have huge problems with this president.

Last edited:

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
I honestly don't get this.

In 2000, 2002 and 2004, the day after the election, the democrats' universal response was "f*ck you republicans, you lying cheating sacks of sh*t! you cheating manipulative f*cking bastards!

Except that republicans actually cheated in counting votes in 2004 in Ohio and 2000 in Florida. What part of lying cheating manipulative bastards dont you get?

In 2004, 350,000 votes that were "lost" by Kenneth Blackwell, co-chair of Bush's reelection committee in 2004 and principle elctorla system adviser for Bush in 2000, Kenneth Blackwell also happened to be Ohio's Secretary of State and had decision making power on how Ohio would count votes, what it would require of voters for registration, and where voting machine were placed. If the estimated 350,000 "lost" votes had been counted, Kerry would have taken Ohio and won the election.

But there's no conflict of interest there, huh, yoda?

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
billythrilly7th said:
I grew up hearing about how we could fight TWO WARS in TWO THEATERS at the same time.

What happened with that? Did Clinton so annihiliate the military?

Seriously, where the heck are all the troops?
that was back when we had a Draft.

And a study of the military reveals that after every conflict the army is downsized and reorganized. Regardless of which political party is in control of the White House.

So, the downsize of the armed forces after the first Gulf War isn't unusual or blameworthy in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.