*QUICK* story related question (thus why it's here and not in a more proper section)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
OK kiddies. What exactly are the northern lights/ Aurora Borealis composed of? I tried Googling it, but the only things that comes up are a few pretty pictures.

...They really ARE gorgeous....

MMM! Enough of the gawking- what are the things made of? Magnetic waves? Aliens? The government's tax dollars? I can't find it!

EDIT-

Also, does anyone know of any folklore pertaining to the Northern lights? I managed to uncover a quick mention of the foxfire legend, but it wasn't detailed. I have also scratched the surface on the folklore of the dead whistling through the aurora. The latter is probably the lore I will get the most use out of.

Well, back to searching for me!

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Auroras are perhaps the most spectacular manifestations of the complex interaction of the solar wind with the outer atmosphere. The energetic electrons and protons responsible for auroras are thought to emanate from the plasma sheet inside the Earth's magnetotail.

Auroras occur in both hemispheres.

Here is what the Nordic Vikings thought about it.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
And HERE is a lengthy section I found on the ESO web-site which I was thought was interesting:

Aurora borealis has amazed people for thousands of years. It's thought that some cave paintings, for example, might represent the aurora. Little later Vikings must have seen these remarkable lights in the sky during their journeys across the Arctic Ocean and they might have thought that it's work of the gods. Many ancient tribes had and still have some quite interesting theories about these lights in the night sky.
In South-France scientist found about 30 000-year-old cave paintings and it's been assumed that those are pictures of the northern lights. If this is true those are the oldest "documented" marks of the northern lights.
In Asia there have remained some ancient documents that have mentions of the northern lights. In China they began to write down observations of the Aurora about 2500 years ago. They didn't use any special name about them. Usually they were compared to fire and animals, especially to dragon. These old writings have a very peculiar aspect; they very often connect lightning with the aurora.
There are some references to aurora in the Old Testament of the Bible but actually it was antique philosophers that first tried to explain the scientific reasons for the aurora. Hippocrates and Aeschylus had this theory that aurora are caused by sunlight that reflects from the surface of the Earth. Aristotle had a theory of steam that rises from the surface of the Earth, because of the warmth of the Sun, and starts burning and forms these colorful lights.
In the late 15th century and early 16th century people started the speculations of the aurora again. In the 17th century they were given their scientific name aurora borealis. It's been written that the name was invented by a French mathematician Gassend, though; it's known that about 30 years earlier the name was used by Italian scientist Galileo Galilei.
First theory that actually was partly correct was made by English scientist Sir Edmund Halley in the 18th century. He made a quite interesting observation that the aurora had something to do with the magnetic field of the Earth. Same kind of observation was also made by Anders Celsius' student in Sweden. Still, less than twenty years later French scientist called Mairan still had a weird perception that the formation of the aurora was connected with the reflecting sunlight; this time through ice crystals, in the polar regions. The burning-gas-theory of the ancient Greek was also in use in the 18th and 19th century.
It seemed to be quite clear that the aurora had something to do with the Sun and maybe with the magnetic field but nobody really solved the mystery of the "burning lights" until...
The real breakthrough was made not any earlier than in the 1950s. First in the beginning of the century professor Kristian Birkeland associated the aurora with electric currents that existed all around Earth. Though nobody believed him back then they are nowadays called the Birkeland currents.
Mythology

This heavenly light phenomenon has often been associated with bad things. Before Caesar was murdered and at the time when Jerusalem was destroyed it's been claimed that aurora were seen in the sky. Aurora are also been described as tears of the martyrs (Thomas Becket's martyr's death in 1777.)
Inuits have all kinds of beliefs about the aurora. They believe that aurora are formed when the souls of the dead play football with the skull of the walrus. Another belief is that the aurora are souls of their unborn children or torches of their ancestors. They also think that if you look at the aurora too much, you will go crazy.
In Siberia and Japan some tribes believe that if a child is conceived under the aurora sky, the offspring will have a long and happy life. Aurora will also help in the delivery.
In Finland people had a belief a long time ago that the aurora are formed when a fire-fox flings the snow with its tail so that the sparks fly up to the sky and form shapes of the aurora. That's why Northern lights (English), Aurora Borealis ("Latin"), norrsken (Swedish), Polarlicht (German) are called "revontulet" ("Fox's fire") in Finland.
Another Finnish belief is that aurora formed a burning river that connected the worlds of the living and the dead. There is a very similar belief in Norway but they believed that it was a burning bridge, not a river, which connected the Earth and the Heavens. In Norway some people also believed that the aurora were dancing women.
Norwegians believed also that bad weather could be predicted from aurora. And the Inuits on the other hand believed that it was a sign of good weather. Some people think even today that the aurora are dangerous, so they arm themselves. Vikings had a perception that if there was occurrence of the aurora it would mean that a war was coming.
In Canada people think that if you whistle the aurora will come closer but if their come too close they will take you.
It's been considered that some UFO observations might be explained with the aurora occurrence. In places where aurora is very rare people might not understand what those lights are and think that they are lights of UFO's.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Pete, you are a Golden God. Have I ever told you how willing I am to be your humble servant? Or that I'm willing to dust your feet with powdered jade and sew diamonds into your clothing? :)

Merci beaucoup!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
TsukiRyoko said:
Pete, you are a Golden God. Have I ever told you how willing I am to be your humble servant? Or that I'm willing to dust your feet with powdered jade and sew diamonds into your clothing? :)

Merci beaucoup!

Would crumbled shards of jade cut my feet up rather badly the next time I try to walk?

And I think the diamonds would hurt on my stretchy pants.

But you're welcome anyway. I can find more, if you need it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Peedee, we gotta talk about this stretchy pants fetish, man.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Crumbled shards would, but I'm willing to grind it to powder with my hands and polish them smooth as...anything smooth. And the diamond... yeah, they might. but hey, at least they look cool. :)

Hell, if you're up for the task, I'll take everything I can get. :D For some reason, Google's being a real bastard for me. It's not turning up anything I can use.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Sam..sounds like Tsuki's has turned submissive :D
Next thing we will hear is she became PeeDee's and Carrie's slave in Gor...
That would be fun to watch :D

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I need no slaves, sir.

Though a cup of tea would be really fantastic. If anyone's getting up.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG said:

She'll have to get in line behind Haggis. He's been begging to be my slave for weeks now. It'd be pathetic if it weren't so cute. :roll:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Sam..sounds like Tsuki's has turned submissive :D
OMG! I can't believe anyone else has read the GOR series. I loved them...but that was in the early eighties...

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Yeah Spooks..but I have a lot of not nice things to say about John Norman and Gor...
Moreso because I used to know the online Gorean Community very well..and while there are great people there...really fantastic people

Let us just say - there is a lot more to say..and leave it at that...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Yeah Spooks..but I have a lot of not nice things to say about John Norman and Gor...
Moreso because I used to know the online Gorean Community very well..and while there are great people there...really fantastic people

Let us just say - there is a lot more to say..and leave it at that...
Hey Teddy, I too had a glimpse into the Gorean Community years ago and didn't stick around. I vaguely remember them from alt.gor or some other site long ago. I stopped reading the GOR series when it became too diluted. I probably (can't recall exact numbers) read 10-15 of the books.

Thanks for bringing GOR back into my life... (pun intended)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.