Help me understand: Why are people so threatened by gay marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I just don't get it. Can someone help explain it to me? When I asked my mom why she was against it, she said that she doesn't care what other people do, she just didn't want it rubbed in her face. I told her she was being judgmental, and she said she wasn't. My husband, who is also against it, said it just isn't right. That's not a good enough answer for me.

Even if you believe gay marriage is wrong, how is it going to hurt you? It's not going to make your marriage any less meaningful. I just don't get it and would love to understand.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Well, just the other day, this woman I knew said she left her husband because the state she lived in allowed gay marriages. She said if anyone could do it, it just wasn't special anymore, so why bother.

Plus, her husband was a lazy bum.

But she said it was gay marriage that pushed her over the edge.

(end sarcasm)

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Honestly, who wants to come home from a hard day of work to find out they've suddenly gotten married to a gay man?

I know I don't.

My wife steals the covers enough as it is, I don't wanna have to compete with a third person for the covers.

That's why I'm against it.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't get it either. Why are they babbling about "preserving the sanctity of marriage" when an increasing number of heterosexual couples are getting divorces while their kids are stuck in the middle?

Since I probably am gay, this is something that I always keep in mind, hoping we'll progress beyond we are now. I have no problem with choosing NOT to marry a partner I may have in the future. You don't have to marry someone to show how much you love them. What I do have a serious problem with is not having the option to marry them. I am a Christian, though I've taken heat from some people before for my viewpoints, which are different from those of most conservative, literalist Christians.

Even if you don't approve of gay marriage, I seriously think people should not have the right to tell us we can't marry whom we wish to marry. Since when is it your business what goes on in peoples' bedrooms? It doesn't make your marriage any less meaningful, so I don't see the big issue, besides people just being prejudiced and intolerant.

NOTE: "You" does not refer to any specific person.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. The Bible says sex outside of marriage is wrong, but Christians aren't trying to make laws to make it illegal. It's against the Bible to lie, but again, no real laws exist against this. There are many things considered sinful in the Bible, but Christians aren't trying to make laws against those things. Why this? Why is this "sin" supposed to be worse than any other?

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
whistlelock said:
My wife steals the covers enough as it is, I don't wanna have to compete with a third person for the covers.

That's why I'm against it.

I'm not following this. So, gay marriage = competing with a third person? Even without gay marriage, there is cheating. I don't see how this says anything particular about gay marriage, rather than marriage in general.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
Here's what I don't get. The Bible says sex outside of marriage is wrong, but Christians aren't trying to make laws to make it illegal. It's against the Bible to lie, but again, no real laws exist against this. There are many things considered sinful in the Bible, but Christians aren't trying to make laws against those things. Why this? Why is this "sin" supposed to be worse than any other?

i think your missing something here.

no one is sanctioning sex before marriage or any of the other sins either. not as many ppl (prob only a few) want to have laws against homosexuals.

but they dont want to sanction them either.

maybe a nice compromise might be for the govt to get out of the religious aspect of this altogether and stick w secular civil unions for every1.

:Shrug:

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:

It's a mischaracterization of this issue to paint it as a "Christian-only" agenda.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Alan Yee said:
I'm not following this. So, gay marriage = competing with a third person? Even without gay marriage, there is cheating. I don't see how this says anything particular about gay marriage, rather than marriage in general.

shhhhh, I think maybe whistle was kidding.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I realize that it's not a Christian-only agenda, but I believe, and I could be wrong, that most people who are against gay marriage say they are against it because of their Christian views.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tiny terror said:
shhhhh, whistle was kidding.

Damn. I always have that problem. If you don't put a smiley on it in a serious thread, I can never tell if you're kidding or not. But I guess it works both ways.

I think I'll shut up now and go get some sleep.

Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
I realize that it's not a Christian-only agenda, but I believe, and I could be wrong, that most people who are against gay marriage say they are against it because of their Christian views.

I disagree.

I know many non-Christians. And I can say that many of them just don't think a man should be able to married a man. Nothing to do with religion. Maybe it's blatant homophobia or whatever. But Christianity doesn't have anything to do with it.

But maybe MOST people. I don't know. What's the percentage "most"

Over 50% technically but were you thinking higher?

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I disagree.

I know many non-Christians. And I can say that many of them just don't think a man should be able to married a man. Nothing to do with religion. Maybe it's blatant homophobia or whatever. But Christianity doesn't have anything to do with it.

But maybe MOST people. I don't know. What's the percentage "most"

Over 50% technically but were you thinking higher?

Maybe I should have clarified that I think in my state that most people are against it because of their religious beliefs. Here, I would say it's probably 75 percent of the people are against it because of Christianity. And, I would say it's probably that way across most of the South.

Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
Maybe I should have clarified that I think in my state that most people are against it because of their religious beliefs. Here, I would say it's probably 75 percent of the people are against it because of Christianity. And, I would say it's probably that way across most of the South.

I think that's probably a fair estimate and statement.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Southern_girl29 said:

From what I understand, homosexuality is a genetic defect (more medical research indicates it's a biological thing, not a choice thing). As such, I am in favor of curing this defect to make the human species stronger. Therefore, I have no reason to support a union of a subset of humans that I hope will someday be cured of their affliction.

That, plus, I believe words have meanings. And to me, the definition of marriage = one man and one woman.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
I think it's more universal than that. Here the vote so far is 81% to 19% in support of the amendment banning it. And, yes, I supported the amendment too.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I've got to go to bed. I'm getting so tired I can't think. I started work around 8:30 this morning didn't get home until after 9 p.m. I have to be up in the morning to have my daughter at preschool by 8:30 a.m., and will then head into the newsroom. I'll be the only one there for a few hours, so I'll respond more then.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I was really kind of surprised that it got 81% here. I expected it to pass (although I don't really agree with it), but not by such an overwhelming margin.

If that vote hadn't been on the ballot, I doubt Corker would've won today.

Status
Not open for further replies.