PDA

View Full Version : Ruler #1 For The Families of Writers

Bartholomew
11-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Never, ever ask me what I am doing when it is obvious I am writing. I will either bite your head off, insist you listen to a passage, or make you beta read the whole damn thing.

Thomma Lyn
11-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Great idea for a thread! :)

When I'm writing, never play anything -- TV or music -- at ear-shattering volume.

When I'm writing and you need to ask me something, jump in with "Excuse me, when you get a minute" instead of the whole shebang so I can get the rest of my thought-in-process on paper.

Soccer Mom
11-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Hah! Y'all should live with my kids.

Never:
ask me what I'm doing,
say uh oh,
spill milk on the livingroom carpet,
dangle your brother off the bunkbeds,
test toys in the microwave,
attempt to cook,
attempt to fly,
let muddy dogs in the house,
wrestle under my feet,
hold your brother down and write loser on his face.

I could go on and on. Thank God for school.

CBeasy
11-08-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't usually snap when I'm writing, but that's because I'm not paying attention to the person talking. I usually so totally off in my own world, that someone has to touch me to get my attention. This goes the same for when I'm reading, watching TV or using the computer.

Bartholomew
11-08-2006, 07:16 AM
I totally thought this thread would be something like, "If you break this rule, you get the ruler." :D

Your faith in me is underwhelming. :)

On a similar vein as my OP, never send me an instant message when my status reads: away; writing.

You WILL recieve a request to accept "wip.doc" and if you do not accept it, I will block you for the remainder of the evening. O_O

CBeasy
11-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Your faith in me is underwhelming. :)

On a similar vein as my OP, never send me an instant message when my status reads: away; writing.

You WILL recieve a request to accept "wip.doc" and if you do not accept it, I will block you for the remainder of the evening. O_O

Ahahahaha. That's is the best idea I've ever heard. I hope you don't mind if I steal that technique.

Bartholomew
11-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Ahahahaha. That's is the best idea I've ever heard. I hope you don't mind if I steal that technique.

Be my guest. :)

Just bear in mind that you'll owe me royalties off of everything you finish because of my inspiration. ^-^

Silver King
11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
I wrote through a hurricane once. It helped that I was describing a stormy sea, but still...

Part of my house was gone before I realized it, and I understood then that I have a real knack for distancing myself from my surroundings.

People can talk to me all day long and my fingers never lose their stride.

Allie
11-08-2006, 09:33 AM
My little guy looks up at me, and he gives a hopeful smile with a look of anticipation in his grayish eyes and then says to me , "Mommy play?"

And what's a girl to do? She stops working on the novel of her dreams and sits down on the tatty carpeting and builds legos. I can write for the rest of my life, but my little guy will only be little for a whisp of time.

Besides, it would be a miracle if I was published before I turned 80 anyway.

SeanDSchaffer
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Cool thread.

My #1 rule is: When I am writing, leave me the blankety-blank alone. This specifically means (in the case of my fellow tenants) do not knock on my door when you hear the typewriter going. My writing time is not my time to talk to you about the weather or any other non-emergency talk. (And no, the fact that you cannot find the cat you refuse to keep indoors, is not an emergency--at least not to me.)

Stacia Kane
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Ugh! I totally agree!

My husband can't even read with the tv on, and yet he seems to think I can easily slip back to where I was after a pointless conversation about Miami Vice reruns, or what I want for dinner in five hours, or what cute thing one of the kids just did, or the latest issue of Green Arrow, or any other thing that could have waited until I at least finished the sentence I was writing.

KTC
11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Do not turn off the coffee pot while I'm writing...even if I made the coffee at 8a.m. and it is now 11pm. Pretty soon I'm going to need that last cup and I don't want it to be cold.

K1P1
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Why don't you just close IM?

SherryTex
11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't hear anything when I write or read so I have to wait until the baby is asleep to work and put on the mindless box for the kiddos to grab a few seconds when inspiration strikes if its going to be on the computer.

My husband can sit beside me on his computer and I won't even hear --in my little world until I come up for air. It's sort of like floating in water with your eyes closed. The world may be going on but I don't notice.

Shadow_Ferret
11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I have an extremely annoying family. I never even ATTEMPT to try to write while they are awake.

Why don't you just close IM?

Ah, logic. :)

spike
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I only have 1 rule:

Unless you are bleeding, broken or on fire, do not talk to me! This applies to both adults and children.

Popeyesays
11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Pirate Mercenary of the Dragoon Cabal.

Sorry, I gotta ask, don't you mean DRAGON Cabal? Dragoons are mounted infantry. The term came into being during the early seventeenth century to describe musket armed mounted troops who got off their horses to fight.

Later on, they became heavy cavalry during the age of Napoleon, and these days the term has been applied to helicopter deployed troops and mechanized infantry.

It was driving me crazy . . . . Sorry . . .

Regards,
Scott

Freckles
11-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Great thread!

My family seems to think I can do a million thing while I'm writing, like it doesn't take much thought to get those words on paper.

I tell them to leave me alone with my thoughts! ;) Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

johnzakour
11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Never look over my shoulder while I'm typing my next humorous pulp sf novel, read the text and say, "not as funny as my favorite writer Douglas Adams."

My son does this to me all the time just to cheese me off. (No need to tell me what I already know! If I ever even approach that level I will be so happy.)

Carrie in PA
11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Mine's a little different. Husband and Son are pretty good about leaving me to my writing. So how about:

Do NOT go out and get a pizza from my FAVORITE freaking pizza place, come back and eat it ALL amongst the two of you, and when I venture downstairs, drawn by the smell, shrug and say, "You said not to bother you while you were writing."

:Wha:

Bubastes
11-08-2006, 07:10 PM
To my cat (who sits on the printer and supervises me while I'm writing): the whirring sound from the printer is a signal to move your fat butt so you don't block the pages coming out.

Carrie in PA
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
To my cat (who sits on the printer and supervises me while I'm writing): the whirring sound from the printer is a signal to move your fat butt so you don't block the pages coming out.

:ROFL: One of my cats is utterly fascinated by the printer. She'll stand there, trying to jam her paws into it and then when the paper comes out, she freaks out and runs off. Weirdo. LOL

J. Weiland
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
:ROFL: One of my cats is utterly fascinated by the printer. She'll stand there, trying to jam her paws into it and then when the paper comes out, she freaks out and runs off. Weirdo. LOL

Now I'll have to test if that works with our cat. :D

Go Ravens!

CaroGirl
11-08-2006, 08:00 PM
The people in my life are everything to me. Even more important than my writing. They are my inspiration, my raison d'etre. So, I write when everyone's at work, school, or in bed.

I wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds my inspiration, now would I?
The rules for the dogs, however, are thus:

If you feel the urge to vomit, do it on the tile or wood, NOT on the carpet, and tell me later.
DO NOT ask to sit in my lap.
Stay away from my feet.
DO NOT howl mournfully because you think you are home alone.
DO NOT ask to go out and pee the moment I sit down at my computer.

Freckles
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Never look over my shoulder while I'm typing my next humorous pulp sf novel, read the text and say, "not as funny as my favorite writer Douglas Adams."

My son does this to me all the time just to cheese me off. (No need to tell me what I already know! If I ever even approach that level I will be so happy.)

OMG! My mother does that to me all the time, begging me to let her read it. I've told her once that I never let anyone see my work until it's finished, but does that stop her? Heck no.

C.bronco
11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
My little guy looks up at me, and he gives a hopeful smile with a look of anticipation in his grayish eyes and then says to me , "Mommy play?"

And what's a girl to do? She stops working on the novel of her dreams and sits down on the tatty carpeting and builds legos. I can write for the rest of my life, but my little guy will only be little for a whisp of time.

Besides, it would be a miracle if I was published before I turned 80 anyway.

I wrote mine in a year & a half, and I only wrote during nap time or after my little guy went to bed. Eat a few cheerios off the floor, put your feet up and don't worry. Write what you can when you can and you'll be doing better than most!

wyntermoon
11-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Never look over my shoulder and say, "is this IT?" Then proceed to:

1. ask what's for dinner in four hours
2. ask for a glass of milk (GET IT YOURSELF, YOU ARE ELEVEN!)
3. talk to me endlessly about the fabulous episode of Seinfeld you saw for the hundreth time
4. ask me when I'm finished so you can have the computer to play neopets

LitFa
11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
My rules are simple:
1. Do not ask me to describe what I am writing while I am writing it!
2. Do not tell me what to include in my novel (I already have a plot, setting etc) but thanks anyways mom ( I may use HER as a character in my next novel)
3. No standing over me hoping I will get so annoyed that I give up the computer (little brother)
4.Please don't press the power button on the computer or try to move the rolling chair while I am writing (11 month old nephew)
I live with a large family and the list could be longer, but these are my main issues :)

Jaycinth
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
The biggest issue for me was an unsupportive, hostile spouse who used to interrupt constantly about meaningless stuff, and as soon as I looked up would imply that I and my writing were crud and unless I was another Stephen Ambrose, nothing I wrote would be worthwhile anyway.

Now, that problem has been solved. But for some reason my kids...both teenagers...feel obliged to interrupt me. I'll tell them, for example, I'm writing, leave me alone, eat the leftovers for dinner because I don't feel like setting the table. I'll eat later. Then I can get 30 to 40 min of peace then they come up with stupid stuff like...'Mom, can I have leftovers for dinner?'
DUH!?!?
We won't even discuss the cat. He's a force of nature. But if I spray my doorway with 'Vanilla Musk Body Spray' he won't even enter. (I wouldn't wear it myself. Got it as a gift and discovered its cat repellent properties. Thank god I got a BIG HONKING BOTTLE of the stuff!)

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Pirate Mercenary of the Dragoon Cabal.

Sorry, I gotta ask, don't you mean DRAGON Cabal? Dragoons are mounted infantry. The term came into being during the early seventeenth century to describe musket armed mounted troops who got off their horses to fight.

Later on, they became heavy cavalry during the age of Napoleon, and these days the term has been applied to helicopter deployed troops and mechanized infantry.

It was driving me crazy . . . . Sorry . . .

Regards,
Scott
Two pet peeves in one blow! ENGAGE THE HYPER-RANT-A-TRON!

Pet Peeve 1) - Dragons.

I hate Dragons. I hate reading books about dragons. I hate playing D&D campaigns with dragons in them. I especially hate people who try to do thing with my novels and short stores, in which they INCORPORATE dragons.

That said, I said Dragoon and I meant Dragoon.

This throws us into:
Pet Peeve 2) - People telling me the definitions of words that I already know.

Of course, you arenít actually guilty of anything here; it is something of an inside joke.

The "Literary Agent" Barbara Bauers referred to Miss Snark as a "Dragoon of writers," and then later referred to AW, Snark, Writer Beware and many others as a cabal. Miss Glatzer referred to herself, at some point, as "Door # 4 of the Dragoon Cabal," thus combining the phrases for the first time. I liked it, and stole it.

Now that I've extrapolated on back-story that neither enhances the humor of this inside joke, nor makes it any more accessible to the general public, let me just say that we are on a writing forum. Many of us, probably most of us possess higher than average abilities with the English language. Chances are, most of the members here mean to use the words they use. You're less likely to upset someone if, instead of asking them in public if they meant to use a word, and then immediately explaining what it means, sending them a private message asking if that is the word they meant to use, and giving them a chance to answer you.

But thank you for defining the word for me. I already knew what it means in those terms from two places:

1) Colonization-- a fun little strategy game I played as a kid, where the rebel force's Calvary was called the "Dragoon" unit,

2) Final Fantasy-- where the knights who ride giant chicken-things are referred to as Dragoons,

Were you aware that the word is also a verb? You can "Dragoon" someone, which literally means "To set soldiers upon someone," and you can also "Dragoon" someone, meaning "to force unwanted action from someone through oppressive means." And you can also use the word to mean, "To subjugate."

Of course, the word Dragoon wasn't always associated with cavalry, and in fact its etymology comes directly out of the word Dragon. The word originated during the rise of the first muskets in Europe, where people described soldiers with guns as "Breathing Fire like a dragon."

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 01:54 AM
How about: He was dragoon himself out from under a table at the bar.

Or

In the dank depths of the dragoon, the behemoth belched.

:ROFL:

Dra-goon. Could it be a Drag-Queen Goon?

O_O

Jenan Mac
11-09-2006, 04:00 AM
When it comes to writing, my husband knows better than to do anything other than have quiet, private fantasies of great wealth and fame. The kids aren't so well trained so I write while they're in school.

As for my mother...if I hear "that's very nice, Jen" in a prim little voice meaning "perhaps she'll get an advance and spend it on therapy" one more time, I shall howl.

janetbellinger
11-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Never, ever tell me about a person you met whose spouse or other relative just had a book published.

LeslieB
11-09-2006, 04:04 AM
I've repeatedly lectured my family about bugging me when I'm writing, so we've come up with a rather, um, interesting way for me to remind them.

My husband and I are big fans of the Venture Brothers show, and in one episode they spoof the whole "space alien shows up to observe humanity" cliche. Whenever anyone spoke to or noticed the alien, he would yell "Ignore Me!"

So now whenever my family hears me bellow "Ignore Me!" they know to scatter, and fast.

engmajor2005
11-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Rules of Being Around A Writer:

1. Do not speak to the writer while the writer is writing. This is akin to "Do Not Feed The Animals" at the local zoo. Disturbing the writer may cause the writer to become agitated, possibly making he/she turn aggressive on you and put your life in danger.

2. The world stops when the writer is writing; this is not an abstract philosophical concept to be discussed but a hard-and-fast rule of nature. Dogs do not need letting out, trash does not need bagging, and children do not need feeding.

3. Are you bleeding? Is the house on fire? Then it's not an emergency.

4. If you ARE bleeding, then you are still alive, and hence able to tend to thy own self.

5. The door is shut for a reason. It is also locked for a similar reason. I am also not answering your knocks for, guess what, the very same reason that the door is shut and locked.

6. These rules will be broken, because the writer lives with other people. The writer will graciously allow the rules to be broken on the condition that the breaker of the rule prefaces their breaking with the following statement verbatum:

"Oh eloquent wordsmith, your creative power must be diverted from the task at hand to a triviality that begs your attention. If I may humble myself before thee, and implore your intellect and your graciousness to assist me in this menial task that, while paling in comparison to what you are doing, needs tending none-the-less. Oh worthy scribe, painter with nouns and sculptor with verbs, may your mercy be shown to us and this request entertained."

7. If the breaker of a rule cannot recite The Right and Proper Formal Address for a Non-Writer to Interrupt the Work of An Eloquent Wordsmith, Worthy Scribe, Painter with Nouns and Sculptor With Verbs, then a cup of coffee and a sampling of fine chocolates must be presented at the time of the request.

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 06:13 AM

1. Do not speak to the writer while the writer is writing. This is akin to "Do Not Feed The Animals" at the local zoo. Disturbing the writer may cause the writer to become agitated, possibly making he/she turn aggressive on you and put your life in danger.

2. The world stops when the writer is writing; this is not an abstract philosophical concept to be discussed but a hard-and-fast rule of nature. Dogs do not need letting out, trash does not need bagging, and children do not need feeding.

4. If you ARE bleeding, then you are still alive, and hence able to tend to thy own self.

5. The door is shut for a reason. It is also locked for a similar reason. I am also not answering your knocks for, guess what, the very same reason that the door is shut and locked.

6. These rules will be broken, because the writer lives with other people. The writer will graciously allow the rules to be broken on the condition that the breaker of the rule prefaces their breaking with the following statement verbatum:

"Oh eloquent wordsmith, your creative power must be diverted from the task at hand to a triviality that begs your attention. If I may humble myself before thee, and implore your intellect and your graciousness to assist me in this menial task that, while paling in comparison to what you are doing, needs tending none-the-less. Oh worthy scribe, painter with nouns and sculptor with verbs, may your mercy be shown to us and this request entertained."

7. If the breaker of a rule cannot recite The Right and Proper Formal Address for a Non-Writer to Interrupt the Work of An Eloquent Wordsmith, Worthy Scribe, Painter with Nouns and Sculptor With Verbs, then a cup of coffee and a sampling of fine chocolates must be presented at the time of the request.

You win.

Mom'sWrite
11-09-2006, 07:43 AM

I agree. Clearly a winner here. And applicable for everyone not living with small children.

But I don't even want to think about how many attempts it would take for my 5 year old to master the Right and Proper Formal Address. The point of dimishing returns can be hit really early in the program with her.

When I write I wear a pair of noise attenuating head phones, so I can hear the shrieks of pain if one should lose a limb but not if it's a mere skirmish over possession of the remote.

I also wear them after the kids are asleep because try as I might to break my husband of this bizarre tic, he must alert me to the time every 5 minutes after 10 pm.

CBeasy
11-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Be my guest. :)

Just bear in mind that you'll owe me royalties off of everything you finish because of my inspiration. ^-^
But that will be like, everything I'll ever write from this point forward, since I get interrupted every time I write. Since I'm planning to use my writing to take over the world a la Peter in Ender's Game, does that mean I'll have to make you Vice Hegemon?

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 08:42 AM
But that will be like, everything I'll ever write from this point forward, since I get interrupted every time I write. Since I'm planning to use my writing to take over the world a la Peter in Ender's Game, does that mean I'll have to make you Vice Hegemon?

Ooohh. Vice Hegemon.

I accept.

Tallymark
11-09-2006, 08:52 AM
*sigh* This is why I can never get any writing done...I don't get to make the rules, and my family is in my face ALL DAY. I can only write when they've all gone to bed, and considering I get up for work at like 6am, that doesn't leave me a lot of time. When I came home from my last year of college, the family computer was dying, so instead of putting mine in my room like I wanted, it was confiscated and stuck in the family room for public use. I have to fight for my turn, and then theres a NEVER ENDING sea of interruptions, and the workspace is a filthy mess (everyone dumps their junk on the desk).

Aside from the stresses of having no claim on my own computer, I'm the last person in the house to ever get a turn, since my family is sure I don't do anything but fiddle around on the internet. I have no intentions of telling anyone about my stories until they are done and accepted by a publisher. what can I say; every time a family member knows I'm writing, they ask to see it (can't stop them anyway, since they use my computer), and then they laugh at it. the only way to preserve my self-confidence is for them to never know. this may seem extreme, but it's better than never wanting to see ones own story again, which is what happened the last time.

I'd like to be able to demand use of my computer and kick everyone out of my workspace, but one, I owe my mom $400, and two, I'm living here without rent. In other words, my mom owns my soul.

I should try and get used to writing in notebooks, but I write in such a sprawling, inserting-stuff-here-and-there way that it just seems impractical.

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 09:00 AM
*sigh* This is why I can never get any writing done...I don't get to make the rules, and my family is in my face ALL DAY. I can only write when they've all gone to bed, and considering I get up for work at like 6am, that doesn't leave me a lot of time. When I came home from my last year of college, the family computer was dying, so instead of putting mine in my room like I wanted, it was confiscated and stuck in the family room for public use. I have to fight for my turn, and then theres a NEVER ENDING sea of interruptions, and the workspace is a filthy mess (everyone dumps their junk on the desk).

Aside from the stresses of having no claim on my own computer, I'm the last person in the house to ever get a turn, since my family is sure I don't do anything but fiddle around on the internet. I have no intentions of telling anyone about my stories until they are done and accepted by a publisher. what can I say; every time a family member knows I'm writing, they ask to see it (can't stop them anyway, since they use my computer), and then they laugh at it. the only way to preserve my self-confidence is for them to never know. this may seem extreme, but it's better than never wanting to see ones own story again, which is what happened the last time.

I'd like to be able to demand use of my computer and kick everyone out of my workspace, but one, I owe my mom $400, and two, I'm living here without rent. In other words, my mom owns my soul.

I should try and get used to writing in notebooks, but I write in such a sprawling, inserting-stuff-here-and-there way that it just seems impractical.

I was in a similar situation, a long time back. I took to writing by hand. I found a very comfortable spot beneath a tree next to an ant hill a few decameters from my house, and I'd stay there until I felt good and done writing.

SpookyWriter
11-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I must admit, Bart, that this is a great thread idea. Okay, that said, I have issues like a lot of people mentioned here. I just hate it when someone will barge into my room and start yaking while I'm trying to write. I had to tell my kids several times to knock first and then if I don't answer leave quietly.

I just hate to have a good writing slurge going and then it's interrupted by someone who hasn't a clue what it takes to create a scene. Oh wait, scene! Ha!

Bartholomew
11-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks.

I must admit, Bart, that this is a great thread idea. Okay, that said, I have issues like a lot of people mentioned here. I just hate it when someone will barge into my room and start yaking while I'm trying to write. I had to tell my kids several times to knock first and then if I don't answer leave quietly.

I just hate to have a good writing slurge going and then it's interrupted by someone who hasn't a clue what it takes to create a scene. Oh wait, scene! Ha!

I brought my WIP to the bowling alley tonight. I got into a groove-- and then the other team started getting a lot of strikes.

They thought I was upset because they were winning.

I was upset because I had to break from the scene more often.

:(

engmajor2005
11-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Thank you for nominating my rules as the winners. I smile.

I am fortunate to have most of my family take my writing seriously; it's only my mom who thinks it's a cute little hobby (and she's the one who interrupts me the most).

And she's not very cooperative. My grandma doesn't mind if I shut my door, have my music playing, whatever. My mom--in case she needs to call me--wants my door open and my music barely audible.

I also don't reveal any WIPs. If I want your opinion, I'll ask it. I don't want your opinion until it's through the first draft. I'm superstitious about even talking about my works. I had one reader looking at a project while it was IP and discussed one work while it was IP. Guess what?

Narrative thread GONE. For now.

KiwiChick
11-11-2006, 01:43 AM
After reading this thead, I'm SO glad I don't have kids.

I've perfected the art of mmm-ing at my husband without hearing a word when he insists on nattering at me while I'm writing. He's pretty good at one-sided conversations, though, so it's usually an hour or so before he realises I haven't said anything except mmm.

KiwiChick

aadams73
11-11-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm not *glad* that I don't have kids, but I can see where they can take up a lot of writing time.

My suggestion for everyone who has a loved one/s who can't follow the rules: sleeping pills. Give them a few with their favorite beverage and voila! Perfect, blissful writing time! (I'm kidding--mostly)

Actually, my husband is really good about being quiet when I write, and as long as the dog has had a walk, food, and pee, she's happy to just chill.

And my mother has finally gotten the hint when I don't return her instant messages or emails while I'm writing.

Lady Cat
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
House Rules
Husband
Do not stand over my shoulder and ask to type n's
No, I don't want to hear about the latest annoying thing your mother did (family business, she's the receptionist)
I don't care if you're willing to make supper, having me decide what I want you to make is just as bad as me making it
I hate sports - do not have a loud, running commentary during whatever game you're watching and expect me to pay attention - I DON'T CARE
Don't flip through all the TV stations to find something I might like to watch - I'm not paying attention anyway

Adult Daughter
Get your own cup of tea (you can make me one while you're at it)
No, I don't want to watch Lord of the Rings (for the 12th time)
If you want me in the same room while you write your essay, then stop talking to me!
You have spellcheck, stop asking me how to spell words that have nothing to do with what I'm working on
I am not writing porn, I'm writing romance, and if you don't like it then stop looking over my should to read it!

Cats
Just because my desk has a keyboard drawer does not mean you can flake out on the desk and expect to to patted
Stop shedding on the keyboard (and every other surface of my office)
The paper coming out of the inkjet printer does NOT need help
Romi, just because Julius had three bites from the fresh bowl of cat chow does NOT mean it needs to be refilled
Do NOT pee on my desk to get my attention (or cough up a hair ball)

Any of the above will cause my train of thought be become derailed and the ensuing train wreck will not be a pretty sight!

bylinebree
11-15-2006, 02:44 AM
1. If you ask the resident writer anything while she is writing, you can get a 'yes' answer and she will not remember. Whereupon, after she discovers you have left/done it/taken money to do it/taken the car when she needs it, you shall hear her say: "What?! I did NOT say you could...(fill in blank)!!"

2. Dogs, you may adore me but if you lay too close to the wheels of my desk chair it is at your own risk. However, in my other chair you may lie on my feet to keep them warm. Please.

(OK, so I put down TWO Rules...)