The "Why I Have 10k Fewer Words Than You Do" Thread

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this is the thread for us people who are sadly very, very far behind on NaNo (go away right now, SoccerMom! ;)) Here you can post your excuses or lack thereof, and feel good when you learn that some people have even lower word counts (collective gasp) than you do.

I'll start by saying that I'm at approximately... *dumdadumdum* THREE THOUSAND WORDS!! Woot, woot! That's only about 10k behind most people around here. :(

So, feel free to share your excuses and tales of misery. (And if there's already a thread around here like this, I'm sorry. I didn't see one... but, yanno, I was just skimming. So, mods, feel free to move this.)

The person with the lowest wordcount gets this piece of cake. --> :Cake:

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
Just remember, the official NaNo prize is the book you have when you're done, so no matter how the other people are doing, you get a bigger prize the more you write. :Thumbs:

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Why, yes, I suppose you're right... but it's so much more fun to mope about why we're behind!

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Let me help your cause

Great idea Maddy! I needed this excuse to give all my excuses.

Hold on a sec while I open my Word Processor which has been sitting idly for two days to check my word count...

Ah, there it is! Approximately 5000 words (including the title)!

But is it my fault that I have to visit the AW forums to learn more about the craft? Is it my fault that someone posted something hilariously funny and I had to read the whole darn thread (all 3893 posts of it)? I can't help that someone needed some advice and I had to give my two cents.

And then there's this great thread started by Maddy that is the perfect opportunity to vent about my low word count, so don't I just have to post???

But it isn't only AW. There's also the NaNo forums. Can't forget all those expert threads. Ya never know when an idea is going to come knocking at your door when you read the thread about someone being an expert at being a guy. It could come in handy!

Then there's that laundry that has to get done, and the kids to feed, and the family gatherings to plan for. It really isn't my fault that the walls suddenly look as though they need a good washing, and the oven seems to need an emergency cleaning, and I think the chimney needs sweeping.

And then there's the telephone. That friend in need...can't let that go by. And of course, I have to discuss my WIP in detail with anyone who will listen - you know, just to see if my idea is marketable. And it's a shame i don't know my neighbors better! I'm have to go knock on their door forthwith and introduce myself!

And isn't November the only month to get on a fitness kick? The gym is calling my name! But I'll need some new workout clothes first, so I better head to the shopping mall...

I guess that's about all I can think of in the way of excuses, but I'm looking forward to hearing more that I can add to my list, so everyone, post away!

Oh, and my wrists hurt (but oops - I'm typing this right now, so that's a lame one). :D

ltd.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Is it my fault that someone posted something hilariously funny and I had to read the whole darn thread (all 3893 posts of it)? I can't help that someone needed some advice and I had to give my two cents.

Ha ha ha. Here I thought I was being lazy and wasting time. But what I'm actually doing is helping people! Thanks Limited for that new perspective on my procrastination.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Does, I have a swollen lymph node in my left arm, in my throat and found a lump in my left breast and have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow, work?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, those are good reasons, dear. Hope everything's okay. If it makes you worry less, I have a swollen lymph node on the back of my neck & have for about 6 years. It goes up & down, & first showed up when I had a cold. My oncologist ('cuz I did have skin cancer, but that's completely unrelated & fixed now) promised me it was fine, & that it would probably get more swollen when I was sick & less so when I wasn't.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Forbidden Snowflake said:
Does, I have a swollen lymph node in my left arm, in my throat and found a lump in my left breast and have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow, work?

Snowflake, take care of yourself. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Health scares like this are not fun.

Karen

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
NOBODY is further behind than me. Still haven't officially started yet...

But my house is spotless!

(Time to stop procrastinating and start writing!)

JenniferDZ

Registered
Reaction score
Snowflake, I hope everything turns out fine. I know you don't feel like writing, but maybe it would be good therapy. You could project your fears onto your MC and be the most well-adjusted person to ever go into a mammogram on Monday! Seriously, there will be many of us thinking, hoping and praying for you on Monday! And I will still be hoping you get some serious writing done this weekend.

Jennifer DZ

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Snowflake. We'll be thinking of you.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
All right, everyone, let's update our current word-count status. I'm at... *crosses fingers while pushes the button* 4,999. Humph. Can I call that 5,000?

Please?

JenniferDZ

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 11,101, but that's where I was at the beginning of yesterday. I'm well and truly stuck!!!!

Jen DZ

JenniferDZ

Registered
Reaction score
Maddy, you can take my one odd word over 11,100 and add it to your 4999 to make 5,000!

Jen

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
You mean there actually is someone who might be further behind than me? Yeshanu, any updates?

Here's my excuse(s)...

Wednesday, as in very very early morning, Fahim and I went to Dubai. So, the last few days before we went were all aflurry trying to get everything ready for the flight (including mil buying bags of dried fish and also cooking curried beef to take with us. I think it's a Sri Lankan thing. *shrugs*) Then Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, we were in Dubai sans computers and time to do any writing. When we weren't out and about, mainly shopping, we were playing with Fahim's sister's daughters. And seriously, those girls are so cute, they're just begging for attention! Besides, we only see them once a year-ish. It would be rude to do otherwise.

We flew back late Friday evening, which turned into early Saturday morning, and we got back home around 6:30 am. Missing two nights of sleep.

I napped much of Saturday. Fahim somehow worked. Fell asleep a few times at the computer, but still, he managed to work. Gotta give the guy major kudos for that.

Today, I'm more awake, but had to do the laundry that's been piling up and go grocery shopping. Cuz, you know, there was no food in the house. Because we'd been gone. And if we wanted to eat - and if you ask Fahim - well, you don't want to...

And I still haven't written about the trip or cleaned up the photos that I want to put on my site.

Nor have I written a single word on my novel in, um, a bunch of days.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :tongue

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
NaNo excuse update - stainfighting

Since I just can't write when there are stains that need fighting, I conducted a little experiment on the kid's laundry.

Results: Clorox 2 works best on biohazardous material; Oxy works on mysterious purple stain that has already been washed and dried once. (Purple what, I don't know.) Nothing works on salsa.

Just thought you might want to know. It's a public service really, posting these results, in case any other NaNoers were going to have to cut back on writing time to test stainfighting efficacy. Now you can scratch that one off the list. :)

You're so totally welcome! Anything I can do to help my fellow writer, you know. Now, on to find out which dusting spray reveals my furniture's brightest shine.... ;)

ltd.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I refuse to update my word count again until I hit the 10,000 mark. At the rate I'm going it might take a while. Last time I checked my document I was a little over 3600.

My excuses:
Lack of Time - I've been working 50 hour weeks at work for the overtime.
Lack of Sleep - getting up at 5 a.m., going to bed at 11, tired in between
Lack of Dexterity - because I work on a chat campaign at work I do a lot of typing. That and the damp weather we've been having have made my fingers swell with arthritis. It hurts to type.

And the worst part is I talked one of my friends at work into signing up and she's over the 10,00 mark already. And she joined late!

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
Lady Cat said:
And the worst part is I talked one of my friends at work into signing up and she's over the 10,00 mark already. And she joined late!

I talked the kids into signing up with me this year and up until this morning, the fifteen year old had a higher word count than I did. I only pushed past 10K a few hours ago. Even though I'm having fun with this story, I'm just not feeling the NaNo spirit like I did last year.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis said:
You mean there actually is someone who might be further behind than me? Yeshanu, any updates?

Here's my excuse(s)...

...And I still haven't written about the trip or cleaned up the photos that I want to put on my site.

Nor have I written a single word on my novel in, um, a bunch of days.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :tongue

Thanks for asking, quid. Yep, I'm writing now. Let's challenge ourselves to be come-from-behind winners, like the guy in chapter 2 of No Plot, No Problem, who finishes most of his 50,000 words in the last three days of NaNo every year...

Or let's not. We've still got plenty of time. But I was thinking, why doesn't your MC take a side trip to Dubai, dried fish and all? Then you could write about the trip and add to your word count at the same time?