what I've been doing with my vacation so far...(warning, rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Well, due to some sea change in my three cats, two of them started ganging up on the third inexplicably. These cats are from the same litter, have never been separated, but for some reason this just started. And they won't let the one do his business in the litter box. Unacceptable, especially with a new baby coming, so we put them out in the garage for a while.
Well, the one still wasn't allowed in the litter box, so he's somehow been going under the water heater (haven't quite worked out how he does this).
To make a long story even longer, the wood stand on which the water heater sits is now rotting and wet, leaving the heater threatening to fall through at any time. Plus the garage is packed with hair and feces. So for some reason, my wife decides it's time to bring the cats back inside (problem still not addressed btw), which means it's time for me to save the water heater. So I went to remove it yesterday, and rebuild the wooden base it sits on. Easy, right?
New problem, the water heater is 15 years old, and filled with sediment. And it won't drain more tha a peepee trickle. 40 gallons weighs what, 300 pounds? Needless to say I couldn't move the thing. So I decided to tip it over and drain the water from the top. This may seem idiotic, but I still can't think of another way to do it. But no problem, I've been working out. So I balance it on two feet and tip it back. I'm now standing underneath it with 125 degree water pouring down my chest. This actually worked for a while, but wet hands and round smooth metal finally prevailed and I dropped the thing, which knocked my down into a pile of cat poop.
No problem, now it's draining for sure. But When it fell it broke off the (plastic) drain valve. 'Screw it', says I, and rebuilt the stand to put it back. Well, the broken valve in question had sheared off flush with the receptacle, and being really old plastic, it wouldn't unscrew. So I just chipped it out in pieces with a screwdriver, and cleaned the remnants out of the threads as best I could. The nearest hardware store had the valve, but it too was plastic. I got it in, but apparently the threads were so messed up by this time that it didn't hold.
And of course, it didn't fail until I had already filled the thing back up with water! So, 300 odd pounds through a 3/4" hole. I'm not a phisycist, but apparently that's a lot of pressure. The resulting blast of water was a high enough speed to fire tiny chips of sediment into my arm like a shotgun blast. today my forearm is peppered with wounds. It also obliterated a few boxes of Christmas decorations that I hadn't moved out yet.
I finally got a metal valve on there, moved all the ruined boxes out to the curb, and mopped up a bunch of hair and feces which had now been wetted into a thick sludge. Just over nine hours of work, and I have a whole new garage now. I pulled my car in there just so I could feel good about it.
Now here's the punchline. Guess whose house got skipped on the garbage route today?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
um....happy vacationing *ducks*

Seriously, the cats are wigging out b/c of the baby coming. They know.

I'll trot over to Houston garbage collection and piddle on their doorstep for you. Unfortunately, since I'm just a Yorkie it's only a thimble full, but it's the thought that counts.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That. Seriously. Sucks. I hope the next couple of days are better for you.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
all the cat stuff - all reasons I will never own another cat. tempermental little ********s.

water heater stuff - sounds like something I would do, (besides the fact that I wouldn't have been able to tilt the thing so I would have come up with another ridiculous solution that would have caused injury), so I can't blast you for it.

sorry for the bad vacation days!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
This could be the basis of a new book....'JBal And The Terrible Horrible No Good Poopy-Cat Vacation In Glittering Broth'

PS. You are not allowed to vacation with a baby coming. You are not allowed to vacation until the last one graduates from college. The universe has ways to get even. You already have the cats....

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Things to do today:

1. cover wood platform on which water heater sits with heavy plastic sheeting
2. buy a second litter box and put it well away from the other
3. put bottom-of-the-pecking-order kitty in the room with the new box
4. write this up comedically, post at Share Your Work's Humor section
5. revise, submit to Funny Times

Maryn, who laughed aloud even though she's sure you weren't

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Aw Jbal! Sorry your vacation hasn’t been a vacation. Enjoy what time you have left and I’ll keep the “Jbal’s red light house of perverse fascination and glistening broth…party” interesting until you return. Chin up buddy.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Oh, AND I'm running away with your wife, jbal. You forgot that on your list.

Sorry dude.

:D

(You could have called: I would have helped with the water heater. Then, there would have been two bare-chested men with water cascading down them.)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
(You could have called: I would have helped with the water heater. Then, there would have been two bare-chested men with water cascading down them.)

Call me, I'll bring the video camera.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
See what happens when you try to take a vacation. It doesn't work. You're better of just working...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All right. Let's make Jbal feel better when he checks in. Dumbest plumbing thing you ever did?

Dumb thing: Hubby and I tried to save money when installing a new shower.

Famous last words: Hey, let's do the demolition ourselves. Why pay someone to rip our house up? How hard can it be.

What I learned: Remember to shut off the water before ripping apart your plumbing.

We had to shut our water off at the source. DIY isn't for the faint of heart man. At least our water wasn't scalding. It was four inches deep and we couldn't get a plumber for five days. Five days that I lived w/o water.

Live and learn.

And have dogs.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
All right. Let's make Jbal feel better when he checks in. Dumbest plumbing thing you ever did?

Oh, my, I wouldn't know where to begin...

Not plumbing, but this should cheer you up, J - We get squirrels in our attic. They then somehow come down through the wall and get under the bathtub.

Husband gets the bright idea - hey, mice don't like mothballs, I bet squirrels don't either! So he tosses a whole freaking box of mothballs under the tub. Guess what. Squirrels don't give a $hit about mothballs.

Soooo... Have you ever smelled mothballs?? And have you ever then tried to retrieve a boxfull of mothballs from under a bathtub? It can't be done. Even with the long BBQ tongs.

Oh. And have you then ever lost a mousetrap, containing a dead squirrel, down into the wall and not been able to reach it? (Not even with the long BBQ tongs.) Which then makes the mothballs smell good??

I'm with ya, hon, that stuff is for the birds.

Oh yeah, and get a second (or even third) litterbox.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh dear. The bad/good news is that you wrote it so well. It was terribly funny.

Do enjoy the rest of your time off!

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Man you so need a new Travel Agent

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Update: that was the worst of it. The rest was great. But I'm still sore.

MM-I tried siphoning. believe me, the dumbest way to do it wasn't the first thing I tried.

Pete-who said I was bare chested? I am calling you next time......I get thrown in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.