What is Your Bed Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
This is the classic battle between husband and wife. Bed time. What time to do it and what time to end it.

I work days, with children and when I get home, I'm dead tired. My wife works nights. So on her days off, she can easily stay up till 1-2am. Me, I'm in bed by 10pm, some nights, by 9:30. I'm up at 5:30am though.

So, what time do you go to bed?

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Late.

I have some slow-sleep insomnia.

I'm tired as hell all day at work.

Then, around seven or eight, the writing starts flowing and my blood gets moving and I'm up till some ridiculous hour.

Then up at six and start it all over again.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Late for me, too. It's nearly midnight here, and I'm still up. I probably will be until 1 a.m. I needed to vent about my job or I'd still be writing on my novel.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good question.

I thought when I started this full-time job I'd go to bed earlier but I don't. It's usually around 11 PM. That's because after working all day nothing gets done around the house so it takes a long time to get it done. I'm sometimes washing dishes at 10 PM. That's always fun. Ha.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
I get up at about five am. and am showered, fed and ready for real work by six. I have gained about ten hours per week of work time by getting up early and going to sleep when sleepy. Pulling allnighters is unproductive and unsustainable.

Os.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
Usually I go to sleep around midnight, and get up around 8-9.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I both get up at 3:40am. He gets ready for work, I make coffee, then we sit and enjoy our coffee while we watch the news and get caught up on email.

By 7 or 8 we're exhausted and we collapse in bed and watch TV for an hour or so. Last time I saw 10p.m. was when I got up to go to the bathroom.

I am officially lame.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny how my sleep patterns and problems have changed as I got older, and interesting to observe both our kids having the patterns and problems I had when I was their age.

Young people seem to be able to stay up really late, and remain alert and productive. Their sleep problems, when they have them, involve falling asleep. Then somewhere between 35 and 45, it shifts. Your mind is worthless once you're tired, so late-night writing either doesn't happen or produces awful stuff. You need to go to bed earlier. You fall asleep pretty quickly, but you can't stay asleep.

I go to bed about 11:30 most nights. I get up around 6:30. And sometimes around 2:15, and again shortly before 4:00, and maybe 5:45...

Maryn, not really a witch, just sleep-deprived

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
oswann said:
I get up at about five am. and am showered, fed and ready for real work by six. I have gained about ten hours per week of work time by getting up early and going to sleep when sleepy. Pulling allnighters is unproductive and unsustainable.
But what if you never get sleepy?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Usually 10 or 11. I can fall asleep washing dishes, I'm usually so exhausted by then.

I'm normally up by 5:30...on weekends I sleep in until 8.

Sometimes my son gets home late, or one of the cats decides I should be awake and I'm up around 2-3 am. That bites.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
aadams73 said:
My husband and I both get up at 3:40am. He gets ready for work, I make coffee, then we sit and enjoy our coffee while we watch the news and get caught up on email.

By 7 or 8 we're exhausted and we collapse in bed and watch TV for an hour or so. Last time I saw 10p.m. was when I got up to go to the bathroom.

I am officially lame.

Join the club. Ol' Boy and I have the same schedule as y'all, only about an hour later, with added naps on the sofa before bedtime. Getting old is, truly, he!!.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Wow, all these early risers... five in the morning? I didn't know there was a five in the morning.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually in bed around 9:30 or 10:00 (I get up real early)--but I don't necessarily turn out the lights until midnight or so. I love to drag all sorts of stuff to bed with me (books, laptop, notebook, etc.!). My poor hubby always has to unload his side of the bed when he decides to turn in. :eek:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
clock_work9 said:
Wow, all these early risers... five in the morning? I didn't know there was a five in the morning.
I am by no means a morning person, but I workout in the morning to have the nights open. Then I go to bed earlier so I am able to get up at 5:00 AM. It's a vicious cycle.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
my wife tends to go to bed around 11:00pm. If we're doing something together (video games, a movie, reading) then it's around midnight that she drops off on me.

I tend to keep going a little later, some nights. Since I am generally up by seven every morning, it's not much later. I used to do my most productive writing during the midnight-plus hours, but now it's around 10:30 in the morning that I'm really useful.

(Case in point; it's ten thirty, and I just finished a deadlined project).

I never enjoyed all nighter's. I get this really rotten, cold, sick feeling in the back of my mind around 5am and puts me into blackest misery. I can do it, if I have to (and sometimes, when the writing is flowing, I'm up that late) but unless the writing is there, I just don't enjoy it.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:

It's the best part of the day! I love being up and about when all the scumbags...uh...people are asleep.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Having to go OUTSIDE at 5-7am, or get dressed, is another matter entirely. I hate it with a passion. Especially when it's dark and cold.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
pconsidine said:
But what if you never get sleepy?

I am an ex-insomniac and the problem was trying to sleep when I wasn't sleepy so eventually I would be half asleep all day and all night. I refused to take anything chemical so I resigned myself to slowly turning into a zombie or to work until physical fatigue took over and kicked in my natural sleep cycle. I chose to work and getting up early has become a habit now which helps me function normally. If you don't feel sleepy, don't sleep. But do something.

Os.

Status
Not open for further replies.