Need info on stalking laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudiB

Scribe extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
in Lake Erie; maybe in SF Bay when they get it cle
Am looking for legal info about steps one might take in a stalking situation. A psychologist is being stalked by an ex-client. What should he do first? How does he report it? Like driving to the police department, calling the Police, etc. I know there's not a lot law enforcement can do in these situations but I need enough to make this section of the book valid.

This takes place in Ohio if that matters.

Thanks for any help out there. "Yoo-Hoo....yoo-hoo..."

'preciate it! :snoopy:

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
JudiB said:
Am looking for legal info about steps one might take in a stalking situation. A psychologist is being stalked by an ex-client. What should he do first? How does he report it? Like driving to the police department, calling the Police, etc. I know there's not a lot law enforcement can do in these situations but I need enough to make this section of the book valid.

This takes place in Ohio if that matters.

Thanks for any help out there. "Yoo-Hoo....yoo-hoo..."

'preciate it! :snoopy:

You might want to check out the (non-fiction) book "I Know You Really Love Me" where this exact thing happened to a therapist. It led to stronger anti-stalking laws in Colorado and (I believe) Arizona.

Rabe...

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Persons with some wealth, such, as your psychologist, consult and hire a Lawyer.
Where I live, One with less resources goes may go to the Broward County Courthouse located in Fort Lauderdale (or whatever County) to file a complaint and request a restraining order.

Unfortunately, I get reluctantly in the middle of family and domestic arguments at work, which requires that I call the police and help mediate a solution. 3 times this year the Employees had to follow the advice of the Police Officers and go down to the courthouse to file.

They are told to take a picture ID, any Police reports or case numbers (it is assumed that domestic disputes required intervention at one point or another, there is a fee, though I do not know how much. A judge reviews your affidavit but they require you to meet with a Case Manager prior to making a decision.

The above is only applicable during normal business hours. If it is a life-threatening emergency, women are instructed to go to Women In Distress, who has been granted Magistrate duties, for a temporary injunction pending a Judge’s order.

That’s about all I know. I am sure it can be expanded upon.

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com
I live in Ohio and I finally decided to go to the police station because I was being stalked.

The guy stalking me kept sending me packages in the mail, etc. So when i went to the police station, they said there was nothing they could do with him sending me stuff in the mail or stopping into my work (if he was in there buying anything)...the only thing they could do was arrest him if he went to my house or if he called me on the phone.

I had everything documented of the times he called, etc.

So the officer called his house and told him to stop everything or he would be arrested.

I filed a complaint and got a case number to refer to if I needed it.

Hope this helps. :)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YIKES. My writing was horrible in my post. The information is correct but man I must have been tired.

The grammar! The graMmar!

Good luck in your scene.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
JudiB said:
Am looking for legal info about steps one might take in a stalking situation. A psychologist is being stalked by an ex-client. What should he do first? How does he report it? Like driving to the police department, calling the Police, etc.

That can vary a lot from one state to another, especially the terminology. (E.g. some states have "restraining orders," which are usually broad--I mean they can cover a lot of things, a lot of types of stalking; some have "protection from abuse orders," which, as the name implies, are used only where there's some history of violence or threats of violence, most often in domestic or sexual relationship cases).

I can recommend a book, "The Gift of Fear," by Gavin de Becker -- he's a security consultant, and he's written a few books to teach his methods to the general public. That one's got a TON of real-life stories in it, so it could give you lots of ideas. I once met a woman at a party who told me that book saved her life -- she was being stalked by a psycho ex when she read it.

As for the specifics, though, if I were you I would go right to the source: contact a police officer (e.g., drop by the station in person at a time when it's not too busy) or call your local courthouse to ask. Just say you want to know how to get a restraining order. (Even if that's not the term they use in your state, they should know what you mean.) You could even tell them why you're asking--you're a writer, in your story a counselor's getting stalked, etc. Ask a cop what advice he would give to a counselor in that position, what options she would have, etc. I've found that most people, when you ask them something related to their job, are very helpful and happy to talk to you about it--people love feeling like they know interesting things that other people want to talk with them about!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.