Status
Not open for further replies.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Have you ever wanted something so bad that you could taste it.... and at the same time been so scared that everything you create is dreck?

I've been actively sending stuff to literary magazines and publishers for almost a year now and I'm getting frusterated that I still haven't had any luck. I've taken classes, read books on technique, had my stuff critiqued and really worked to take everything into account when I write. This is the stuff I study, the stuff I love doing, and I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to get discouraged. :cry: And as foolish as it seems, I keep thinking that if I'm as good and as hard a worker at my craft that my professors keep telling me, shouldn't I have had a break by now?

Maybe they're wrong, and maybe I'm just destined to write drivel? :(

Or is getting published usually this long and arduous of a journey?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

I could have written your post. Yes, I'm scared my stuff is "dreck." Yes, I feel like, after more than a year, I should have got "a break" by now. Yes, I think I might be destined to write drivel. Yes, I believe getting published is a long and arduous journey.

I'm sure I was absolutely no help to you whatsoever. Let's keep on keeping on anyway, okay? Here on this road to nowhere.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Don't give up. My first novel started off as a serial web story on the Sci Fi channel's web site. After that I tried turning it into a real book and it was rejected by every major publisher. We got a lot of "funny but not for us." I figured I had my shot and that was that I was all set to go back to graduate school get a Ph.D. in something and have a nice normal life. Then one day on a whim I sent the novel to a new e-publisher. On a whim they emailed me back saying they had read the story on the sci fi channel's site and would love to publish it. It became their best selling ebook until some guy named Stephen King wrote "Riding the Bullet." It knocked me off the e-charts, but the guys at the e-publisher gave the book to the managing editor (and owner) of Daw books she liked it and bought it and now I'm on books 5-7.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let the doubts occupy your mind. Keep writing and keep focused on what you want. Sometimes you just need a little luck.

Sending some good luck your way............

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
You're feeling dejected after spending less than a year trying to get your writing published? Haven't we heard stories of famous writers waiting for seven, ten years before getting their first break?

One of my favourite contemporary writers spent two years writing his first novel, then trashed it completely and rewrote it from scratch. It was an international success.

You are not allowed to give up so soon, FF. Keep at it. Best wishes and loads of good vibes for you. :)

Sury

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
If your prof gives you compliments on your writing, surely there is talent. Are there maybe other things you've overlooked such as doing research, I don't know...
or is this simply about feelings?

Odile

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You have a choice to make, either you buckle down for the long haul or give up now because the way into the industry isn't a quick one. JK Rowlings spent years developing, writing, and then marketing Harry Potter, well over five.

I myself have written five full novels and have found that as my writing improves, I need to either trash them or rewrite them because I really have grown that much. It has taken me nearly six years to learn how to write well enough to possibly sell, I will know in March whether or not that is true.

It takes time, patience, and a heck of a lot of work to make it. You'll hear of those who became almost an overnight sensation, but that does not show how much effort they put into their writing before sitting down to write their book, the time in research, the learning curb (which is unique to everyone by the way), inherent talent, and the list goes on.

I would step back for a while if I were you and find out if this is what you want and if you will do anything to get it (By anything I mean the work and time involved). This isn't a jump in and make instant waves kind of business, the wheels turn slow on both sides. If you want to up your chances of getting published, write, every day, get critiques, and improve your writing, there is always room for improvement.

Most authors you see on shelves took years and stacks of rejections and several books written before they got there. Stephen King took four novels and several rejections before he made it on top of several years of trying. If you start out with writing above his (And you can't be the judge of that we are terrible judges of our own work) then you may need less than that.

Individual mileage varies in this industry but more likely than not it will take time, and lots of practice.

The choice of yours.

johnzakour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
It's a long process. After 6 years of full time writing, I'm only now just beginning to call myself a novice writer and even then I still feel kind of weird. I'm hoping I've only scratched the surface of my ability. (I think my agent and publishers are hoping the same thing. ;-) )

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm freelancing (well, trying, at least) for magazines. It's a long and sometimes painful process. But I just had a piece published in the Chicago Tribune, so I know you'll get there too!

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Thanks for all the insights and well-wishes. :)

There is no question that this is what I want to do (I've always been a storyteller), but sometimes I get discouraged and impatient that it's taking so long! :p

johnzakour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
It's a process of endurance, if you have some degree of talent and lots of persistence you can succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.