PDA

View Full Version : A Rejection to Laugh About

stormie
11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I just received an email from an editor whose name I couldn't place. The subject line read: "Regarding your poetry submission." Right away I had a feeling it was a rejection. (Clue: if your work is accepted, it usually merits the title of your work in the subject line.)

So, I clicked on the link, bracing for a rejection. Then I laughed out loud. It was from (are you ready for this?) poetry.com. I didn't think they rejected anyone!

Here's the story. I entered the Wergle-Flomp poetry contest (http://www.winningwriters.com/contests/wergle/we_guidelines.php), which is a legitimate, humorous contest for the worst poem a writer submits to a vanity poetry site, like poetry.com.

Well, if my poem could be rejected by poetry.com, then it must be super-bad. Yesss!!! That means I have a great chance at placing in the Wergle Flomp contest.

So, rejection isn't always bad!

Pat~
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
How funny, Stormie! Surely you are a contender!! (Good luck :) ).

alleycat
11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Haven't the winner already been announced?

And congratulations on writing a poem so bad that poetry.com won't even take it.* This shows talents and dedication.

*I'm betting they guessed it was for the contest.

oarsman
11-06-2006, 11:15 PM
:rant: How dare they!! That is not fair! Poetry is not for a chosen few (it states that on their web site, by the way). They are keeping you from expressing your unique style and your unique message in your own unique way.

That is too funny! Congratulations on a job well done!!!

stormie
11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Haven't the winner already been announced?
New contest at Wergle Flomp going on now!

clockwork
11-07-2006, 03:43 AM
To get anywhere with that site, you really need to write poetry about ING Direct or Ultralase Medical Aesthetics. ;)

Birol
11-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Congratulations? :)

Sury
11-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Every rejection doesn't make you glum, eh? Congrats on winning a unique one, Stormie. Save it. ;)

Sury

Nakhlasmoke
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Congratulations!

it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!

Odile
11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
lol

Odile

Rhymer
11-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I too feel your pain...lol...I was rejected by poetry.com as well. I entered the Wergle Flomp contest like you with ummmm....my horrible poem entitled "Famous Poet Cake" which I sent in under the name....Vodka Martini. I think they're on to us....I'm wondering if you have to just enter or do you have to be accepted by a vanity publication to be eligible for the Wergle contest. I wonder if anyone else in here has entered this contest, it would be interesting to find out!

aadams73
11-11-2006, 02:34 AM
That's just too funny! :D They just don't deserve you.

stormie
11-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Every rejection doesn't make you glum, eh? Congrats on winning a unique one, Stormie. Save it. ;)Sury
Yup, I did. It sits right at the top of my email Inbox, so I can get a good laugh every time I click on it. Here is part of it (the rest goes into how to send another possible prize-winning poem):

From Poetry.com-edy:
"Thank you for your submission to the Open Amateur Poetry Competition. Unfortunately, after careful review of your contest entry, I am sorry to inform you that your poem, Poetic-License Sonnet, was not chosen for publication and is no longer eligible for contest prizes. We understand that poetry is a form of artistic _expression and that it is not always understood by those who read it. (Yeah, in this case, even me!) Therefore, we are asking you to send us another example of your writing. " Sure, first thing next century.

You know, this might be a great way to beat those rejection blues.

piscesgirl80
11-14-2006, 02:13 AM
:roll: Too funny! Great when a rejection is actually a good thing!

Kudra
11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
:ROFL:

Congrats, Stormie!