Book Launch Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Is it tacky to throw your own book launch party? I have a ski fitness book coming out in January. That month, I will be participating in a 4-day ski clinic in Aspen. After the clinic, a number of the participants, as well as some other members of a ski message board, will be meeting for a day of skiing in Breckenridge, which is a few miles away from my fitness studio. I'm thinking about throwing a book lauch party that evening, but I wonder if it would seem to be self-serving and egotistical.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Just popped in to give a quick reply.

I think that parties are very much associated with book launches - as in the 'after-launch' party. And, are very much part of the events connected with the big literary prizes.

Tacky? No. If the party is either casual or 'formal', at least do it well either way. Otherwise, it might fall flat. And yes, have some books available for purchase. Maybe even signed copies. Someone or two or more could be interested. As long as it is not perceived as a means to gather people together for the 'hard sell', you can't be accused of doing anything 'tacky'

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're celebrating a difficult achievement. So throw that party, invite others to celebrate with you and enjoy. I echo ATP's thoughts on tackiness in this regard.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lisa,
You might want to consider just giving away books at your launch party, especially if the people attending are in the industry or in a position to promote the book. You don't need to give away hundreds of copies, but if your publisher is willing to provide say, 20 or so, you can give them away as party gifts, autograph them, and then offer people a deal on future purchases of multiple copies. I think that way you avoid the discomfort of inviting people to a book launch where they think they'll be expected to buy something.

Tex

Lisa, another reason why a launch party may be worth the trouble is the potential for media coverage around it. When you have an event that is open to the public, it often gives local media outlets a reason to cover the book or have you on for an interview. Instead of having your book thrown in with hundreds of others being considered for review, you give yourself a leg up because of the local connection of the event.

If you decide to do it, I suggest getting the most out of it by making a push to media outlets in that market. You might focus on drive-time radio, local TV affiliates and the feature and/or book review editor at the local paper. If you're able to secure some local coverage, it may also give you an open door with bookstores in the area who may view the buzz as a reason to stock the book.

Congrats on the release...

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
book launch party.... good - selling books at book launch party... rather tacky.... try giving them away as gifts of appreciation or donating proceeds to charity or something - try not make this a 'selling event' - it should be a celebration of achievement and a party for friends and family and supporters - book launch events are not media events but if you tie that to local causes (say your book is about breast cancer) then you might have a story angle

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Oh, I can';t remember now whose blog I was reading in wich their client threw themselves a launch party and it was a huge success. Really, even if they don't like your book (which hopefully they will!) if you give them some free food, it can't possibly be bad. . . I think.:)

Maprilynne

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
Lisa, it's not tacky at all to throw your own book launch party. It's a great idea and if you're concerned what others might think, no one has to know you're the one who through it. Go for it! I did it for my first non-fiction book and even had one of the stars from Supernatural (on CW) attend. Lots more of celebs would have shown up if I could have flown them there.

Simone

I think it's a great idea and yes, have books available for people to purchase. We always have great success at our book launches and people always buy copies of the book we're releasing and it's FUN!

Best of luck,

Simone

Status
Not open for further replies.