PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
With molasses? Without?

With bacon? Or pork? Or both?

With cornbread? Or rye? Or potato bread?

Reaction score
On toast.

I don't know what molasses is. Or cornbread. Or rye.

I am from Scotland - we've only just developed hot and cold running water. :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Lots of pork? Only a little? I generally prefer a fair amount of meat in mine, good sized chunks of it.

Don't worry, scarlet. Once you've got the wheel thingie figured out, you can have all sorts of nifty things in Scotland. Beyond the "Things to do with sheep" category, even!

Okay, but a major question: baked beans: a special occasion food, for a good part of any dinner?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
bacon and onion in mine, diced up and cooked together in a pan first, and then added to the beans with brown sugar (not mollasses though I don't mind it with mollasses).

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
With molasses? Without?

With bacon? Or pork? Or both?

With cornbread? Or rye? Or potato bread?

Straight from Beantown: With molasses, hold the pork (no pun intended)

No bacon

Yes w/ cornbread
However, beans must not be CANNED , you must do the work and take the 2 days to make them ,,, Yummy...

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
something else i forgot to ask; home made, or canned/

right. all of a sudden, my shift keys have stopped functioning.

(They are now functioning. Oddly enough, it was only when I was originally typing this post.)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
kpmcneil22 said:
I grew up in Boston (Beantown), so I'll take baked beans with some pork, onion, a little molasses, brown sugar, and salt... eat with some brown bread. :D

AAAHH! We have a winner! Those are my kind of beans.

Of course, I prefer home made. Good homemade baked beans are amazing.

I like well cooked chunks of pork, and then bits of bacon that's almost burnt, mixed in to provide some crunch. And you have to have good maple syrup (or molasses, either one) which is, by itself, a bit smokey.

I'm southern, so I guess I'm hardwired for cornbread, though.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Try finding a real good brown bread nowadays... of course, while you are waiting for the home made baked beans, you may as well make the bread too

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Jongfan said:
Try finding a real good brown bread nowadays... of course, while you are waiting for the home made baked beans, you may as well make the bread too

All right, define a 'good brown bread' then. What am I looking for, hypothetically?

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
My mother used to make one. I shall dig through my recipes. It is round, made with molasses and honey. Some have raisins, I prefer none. It is a great side to home made beans.... cornbread is a substitute now due to the non existing brown breads of years ago.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Jongfan said:
My mother used to make one. I shall dig through my recipes. It is round, made with molasses and honey. Some have raisins, I prefer none. It is a great side to home made beans.... cornbread is a substitute now due to the non existing brown breads of years ago.

A good brown bread is also delicious with some sea salt baked into the crust. It should be thick and sturdy enough to hold up if you heap some baked beans on top of it.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
BOSTON BROWN BREAD
"The Settlement Cookbook" (1903 edition)
THE WAY TO A MAN'S HEART
Under the Auspices of "The Settlement"
(The Milwaukee Settlement House)

Boston Brown Bread

1 cup rye meal
1 cup corn meal
1 cup graham flour*
3/4 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup molasses
1 3/4 cups sweet milk or warm water

Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk and molasses, and place in a covered, greased mould and steam two and one-half hours, or steam in small cups one hour. Fill cups two thirds full.

*Whole Wheat flour, preferably a coarse grind

All contents of this website are
Copyright ©
1990--2006
James T. Ehler
and
FoodReference.com, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for noncommercial, personal use only. Any other use of the materials in this website without prior written permission is prohibited.

Contact email: [email protected]

. Home . . RECIPES . . About & Contact . . Links .

. Breads pg 1 . . Aloha Bread . . Amaranth & Flax Seed Bread . . Apple, Cranberry-Pecan . . Apricot Orange Bread . . Bagels . . BANANA BREAD RECIPES >>> . . BISCUIT RECIPES >>> . . Blueberry Bread . . Boston Brown Bread . . Boston Brown Bread (1903) . . Boston Brown Bread (1896) . . Bread Sticks . . Bread Sticks (1896) . . Brioche . . Buns - Chelsea Buns . . Buns - Hot Cross Buns (1896) . . Carrot Horseradish Bread . . Carrot Raisin Bread . . Cherry Granola Bread . . Chocolate Cherry Nut Bread . . CORNBREAD RECIPES >>> . . Crackers: Coriander, Cumin & Caraway . . Cranberry Sweet Potato Bread . . Cranberry Yam Bread, Easy . . Currant Bread . . Date Oat Quick Bread . . Dill Yeast Bread . . Dried Plum-Pecan Bread . . Flour Tortillas con Mesquite . . French Bread . . Gingerbread . . Golden Cherry Granola Bread . . Grant's Bread . . Hardtack . . Hazelnut Butter Bread . . Hazelnut Maple Bread . . Hazelnut Pear Bread . . Hazelnut Pumpkin Bread . . Hazelnut Saffron Bread . . Hazelnut Sourdough Bread .

CLICK HERE
for the BEST
Culinary, Baking & Pastry Schools

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The problem with Boston Brown Bread is that it's an awful lot of molasses. I think I prefer corn bread, but mostly I like potato bread with salted crust. It balances things out.

And what do we drink when eating baked beans? Water? Some sort of juice? Tea? Beer? What goes best with baked beans?

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
WATER to help digest all that fiber

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Me? Vegetarian Baked Beans (Bush's, canned) but I much prefer Black Beans w/ Rice with diced tomato and onion, cilantro, and cheese on top.

And water w/ beans, anytime.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Ah Sam Adams white ale.. light yet flavorful

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Carrie in PA said:
Brown sugar instead of molasses.

Lots of bacon.

And iced tea, of course. Duh. :D

Of course, brown sugar. You cook the molasses into the baked beans, and then you sprinkle fresh brown sugar on top of it, like you might sprinkle salt. Delicious.

Does anyone else add a bit of cinammon to their baked beans? If it's just the right amount, it makes them taste a little....sharper for lack of a better word.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I add a dash of cinnamon to a lot of foods you wouldn't expect. Really it just seems to be that extra (what is that?) flavor and it heightens the other tastes a bit.
I make homemade ravioli (the dough, the filling, the sauce and meatballs all from scratch - the exhusband was Italian, he's great aunt taught me how to do it) anyway, there's cinnamon in the filling. It shocks everyone to find out, they can't really taste but "there's something else, what is it?" I love that!

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
I add a dash of cinnamon to a lot of foods you wouldn't expect. Really it just seems to be that extra (what is that?) flavor and it heightens the other tastes a bit.

So I guess I'm not the only one to throw a dash of cinnamon in homemade hot chocolate or hot cocoa?

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
From Boston. Please. I miss my Boston Baked Beans - I'm in Ohio and they do not know what they're doing.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
for cinnamon flavor in hot chocolate, I usually add cinnamon schnapps. :)
(of course, not for the stuff the kids drink)

Status
Not open for further replies.