Do you still have your Halloween Jack-O-Lantern??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I do. It's sitting on my dining room table. Talk about UGLY! He needs to go out today. Seriously. He's turning some pretty unhappy shades of yuck.

Do you still have yours?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how something that that brought about ooohs and aaahs just a few days ago now brings about comments like, 'um, mom....seriously....he needs to go...now", and "Sweetie...Jack isn't looking very healthy. Think it's time form him to be retired to the Great Compost Heap in the Sky?"

My brother still reminds me about my very first Jack-O-Lantern years ago. It was 1986 and I was a totally clueless 18 year old newlywed, married only one month. Poor Jack #1 sat on my porch until, legend says, he caved in, shrunk, and eventually evaporated into thin air.

Kinda true, but not entirely. The truth is that he did, indeed, sit there until he was quite...um...gross. When I could stand looking at him no longer I chucked him into the neighbor's yard. Think I'm joking? Nope. We had the neighbors from hell. Imagine Southern West Virginia. Small town, horrible neighborhood. (newlywed and poor = living in one of his parents' rental properties on the WAY wrong side of town)

These neighbors rarely saw the light of day, truth be told. I'd never hear a peep out of them during the day, but as soon as the sun went down it was a scene from "Deliverance" right there on their front porch. Banjos, fiddles, guitars, harmonicas and a lot of moonshine. All night long we'd have to listen to that. So I got my "revenge" by tossing old Jack into their yard.

I don't think they noticed, really. I think one of their dogs took it away and finished demolishing it.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you leave him under your bed, the Great Pumpkin will come and leave a sweet potato in his place. Really.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I was enjoying an evening away from the kids at a friend's house last night and get a call from my oldest son (15) 'Mom, that pumpkin that's sitting on the piano (who put it there???? grrr) is rotting and has leaked all over the piano, staining the wood (oak) -is it ok for me to throw it away?'
ya think?
'yes dear, and please find the other one and toss it too.'

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I_Shrugged said:
I slaughtered them both. Puree'd one and the other one is in the frig waiting to be baked so I can puree it, too. So far, we have pumpkin cookies and pumpkin cheesecake. I'll probably make pumpkin bread today. Oh, and I froze some for Thanksgiving's pies. Yummy.

If you discover that you suddenly don't like pumpkin anymore, you could send all those things to me. I'll make sure they don't go to waste. Honest. :D

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
"Pumpkin Self-Carve" by Charles Addams

img_lg_07.jpg

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year we had a few of 'em on our front porch, and since we don't use the front porch for anything but to meet (and scare off) politicians and missionaries, we forgot about them. Until November, actually.

This year, thankfully, we got rid of the carved ones before they started to turn. But I think that if I leave them on the front porch again, I'll put a few disposable pie plates under them, just in case I forget.

Here's a pic of this year's Halloween pumpkin hacking:

Attachments

• Punkins 2006.JPG
    Punkins 2006.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 24

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put it on eBay. Say it looks like Ronald Reagan, or Moses, or one of the Backstreet Boys. You should be able to get $80,000 for it.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ours is still going strong. Or smelling strong, anyway. Tonight's the last night for the big guy. Just to think, six evenings ago he looked so doggone bright and orange and cheery and rakehell. Now he just looks like...rakehell.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
dahmnait said:
:ROFL: hehe....I am ready for Christmas and have been, since last year.

LOL, me too. I used to do decorative painting, so my little Christmas stuff stays out all year long. I can't bear to put them in the dark scary attic. Every year, Husband tries to sneak them away and every year he gets A Look and puts them back. :tongue

Reaction score
The one I used this year is gone, but as Thrilly tradition dictates, the day after Halloween, in order to save BIG MONEY on Pumpkins, I always go and buy ones for next year. They are being sold at huge discounts. And I also can avoid the Sept Pumpkin rush next year.

You can probably still find great deals even this week on Pumpkins.

Good luck.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I have two intact pumpkins on the porch that we never had time to carve!

Status
Not open for further replies.