Not open for further replies.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I always enjoy poll mathematics...

If the elections were held today, 54 percent of likely voters say they would support the Democratic candidate in their district versus 38 percent who would vote for the Republican-a 16-point edge for the Democrats.

"54 percent of likely voters" does not equate to 54 percent of all voters.

Voting "in their district" does not mean this poll is an indicator of voting on an individual district by district basis, but based on the average of all districts sampled.

"16 point edge" means from the vast swath of districts sampled (which, depending on your particular district, may swing the results in one way or another).

Maybe that’s because nearly a third of registered voters (32 percent) now say Iraq is the most important issue in deciding their vote. The economy comes in second at 19 percent. And just 12 percent say terrorism, the Republican trump card in the last three elections, is their most important issue. In fact, as millions of Americans fill in their employers’ health-care selection forms for next year, terrorism is statistically tied with health care at 11 percent.

32 percent claim Iraq as the most important issue.
19, the economy
12, terrorism
11, health care

Which means that a full 42 percent claim Iraq is NOT the most important issue (19+12+11). But this also means a full 16 percent don't count any of the above as the most important issue (100-42-32). So, 58 percent of voters (42+16) don't feel Iraq is the most important issue, which is a 26-percent lead (over 32) for all the other issues out there.

But with only 29 percent of Americans saying they’re satisfied with the direction of the country—and 64 percent saying they’re not...

What about the other 7 percent?

Status
Not open for further replies.