Unemployment at a Five Year Low!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8L5QQ480.htm

NOV. 3 3:56 P.M. ET The unemployment rate dropped to a five-year low of 4.4 percent in October as employers added 92,000 new jobs -- flashing a picture of a strong labor market as the midterm elections draw near.

The latest report, released Friday by the Labor Department, showed that the civilian unemployment rate fell 0.2 percentage point from 4.6 percent in September. It marked the third month in a row that the politically prominent jobless rate declined.

Regardless of political affiliation, this is great news.

Everyone should be happy by the low unemployment and booming stock market and strong economy by all historical standards.

Good luck democratic congress on keeping the numbers strong!

We're all counting on you.

Thank you.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I was pleased when I heard this on NPR, until I heard the other shoe drop about losing the 39,000 manufacturing and 26,000 construction jobs, that were offset by the 34,000 government jobs.

It's also nice the way the Labor dept. reassessed their new job numbers from August and September a week before the elections, boosting their numbers from 139,000 to 378,000. ;)

It may be just enough to convince the people who don't read their check stub that Bush's tax cuts and trickle-up economy is really working. I'm somewhere in the middle-middle or upper-lower (I don't even f**cking know), and I got an extra $4.00 every two weeks out of this deal, which allowed me the extra 1.6 gallons of gas to drive to Costco (borrowing my mom's card, by the way) so I could buy the industrial size package of scratchy toilet paper I need from having to fix Chunky soup and rice four times a week.

All whining aside, we do have it made in this country. :)

Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
It may be just enough to convince the people who don't read their check stub that Bush's tax cuts and trickle-up economy is really working.

I just don't know what methodology democrats would like to use in measuring issues.

"Bush is losing the war on terror!!!"

Yet, no attacks in five years.

"The tax cuts don't work!!"

Unemployment low, stock market high and by every historical standard we have a strong economy.

It's riotous at this point.

I'm just not sure what a Republican administration can do that would impress a Democrat where they might give them some credit.

As Dick Cheney said "Five years and no attacks. You really can't do better than that."

The economy can't do that much better either.

Democrats remind me of Television execs who believe that somehow they're going to be the one to not have a single low rated show on their network so they cancel great shows with low ratings and replace them with bad shows that also get low ratings.

Same exact thing here.

I just hope the numbers don't start ticking back up over the next two years with a democratic controlled Congress or I think the voters will make them pay in '08. Things are going great right now. Please don't blow it.

Good luck. We're counting on you.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
So, what you're saying is that the unemployment rate is finally back down to around where it was when Clinton left office?

:tongue

Reaction score
Yes, even after dealing with the stock market bubble burst, the inherited Clinton recession, the 9/11 attacks that could have completely destroyed our economy and the War on Terror.

Thank god for tax cuts, strong leadership, and sound economic policy that led us from the bring of possible economic disaster to a booming economy.

After 9/11 what Bush did to save us economically is his greatest accomplishment.

Thank you.
:tongue

Last edited:

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Thank god for tax cuts

I never understood tax cuts for the wealthy.

Give a middle or lower class family a larger return and it goes directly into the economy. The money still gets to the rich.

A middle class family will take their extra thousand bucks and spend it on local businesses (getting their cars fixed) or buying a bigger TV.

A wealthy family will toss the money into another account for it to earn interest.

I'm not seeing how the second case is better than the first...

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sc said:
I was pleased when I heard this on NPR, until I heard the other shoe drop about losing the 39,000 manufacturing and 26,000 construction jobs, that were offset by the 34,000 government jobs.

thrilly said:
"Bush is losing the war on terror!!!"

Yet, no attacks in five years.

"The tax cuts don't work!!"

Unemployment low, stock market high and by every historical standard we have a strong economy.

Whoever wins is inheriting a mess. Bush grows jobs by expanding gov't (a very un-republican ideal), but he loses jobs where it really counts. The entire economy is grown on an invisible foundation. He's spending far, far more than we're bringing in and still cutting back the source.

That's like a store ordering more and more product but turning customers away. It's a losing situation for whichever party wins. This system will eventually collapse.

As for the attacks: they're all in Iraq. I think there have been quite a few more terrorist incidents involving American interests during the Bush presidency than there were in the past. I think he's created more Anti-Americanism than any other president in the history of the US.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The deficit and national debt have exploded under Bush, and all of the economic gains are going to the wealthy. The economic news isn't that good for most people.

Reaction score
emeraldcite said:
I think he's created more Anti-Americanism than any other president in the history of the US.

Well when it comes to the Islamic anti-americanism....

Yeah, people usually get pissed off when you fight back.

If you're in a bar and someone punches you in the face and you pick yourself up and go home, you probably won't anger the friends of the guy who punched you in the face the same way as if you'd grabbed a beer bottle and smashed it over his head.

Sorry we were attacked on 9/11 and decided to fight back. We shoulda just shrugged and said "I guess we deserved that" and hoped it never happened again.

Everyone likes to talk about how many more terrorists we created by Iraq. Fair enough.

But if that's the case, we also created more by going into Afghanistan. But that war everyone seemed to be in favor of. So, I guess if we create more doing a war that is the clear right move, it's okay that we created more, but if it's a war that wasn't necessarily the right move, it's not okay, even though the results of "creating more" are still the same.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the democrats position on how we're supposed to fight back against terror without creating more terrorists, Iraq or no Iraq.

:Shrug:

When it comes to worldwide Anti-Americanism, I love it. I don't know why. I just know how awesome we are and how we're the greatest country in the history of the planet who has freed hundreds of millions of people and are the most generous and our principles of democracy have people risking their lives to come here and attempt the American dream.

So when some nut in Europe or anywhere across the globe says "I hate America!" I laugh.

I'm not a person who really gives a frog's fat azz what others think about America. Especially non American earthers. It's nice to be loved, but when you know what a great person you are and you find out some guy at the office doesn't like you, you have to just say "Well, that's his problem. He's wrong. I know I'm a good person and anyone who doesn't like me is the one with the problem."

Same thing with Anti-Americanism.

"How can anybody not like you!?"
Mrs. Seinfeld

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
clintl said:
The economic news isn't that good for most people.

I didn't say we're living in the Roaring 20's, but by all historical standards the economy is very strong and the environment for hard working people to flourish is ripe.

Let's keep the ball rolling, Dems!!

We're counting on you.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
emeraldcite said:
A wealthy family will toss the money into another account for it to earn interest.

This is what small-minded people think wealthy people do.

Wealthy people make money by taking their money and buying hotels, investing in small companies, pouring money into the market, shoring up the federal and local governments by buying bonds. In other words, stimulating the economy in a plethora of more ways than any dozen middle-class people could. Dare I say they even provide those middle classers more opportunities to break into the upper crust? Oh yes, I do. I do dare.

Only the stupid wealthy just "toss money into another account."

And those folks don't stay wealthy long.

Reaction score
dclary said:
In other words, stimulating the economy in a plethora of more ways than any dozen middle-class people could.

Exactly.

SC is complaining about his $4 but doesn't realize he may not even have a job if it wasn't for the wealthy and their greedy economic stimulation moves like starting companies and employing millions.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
You do realize that people who've exhausted their unemployment benefits & remain unemployed aren't counted in those statistics, right?

Reaction score
caren1701 said:
You do realize that people who've exhausted their unemployment benefits & remain unemployed aren't counted in those statistics, right?

You do realize that whatever you're talking about is part of the same method of compiling the unemployment rates they've used forever?

So....4.4 for Clinton is 4.4 for Bush is 4.4 for Reagan is 4.4. for Nixon.

It's all the same. People always exhaust their benefits.

Once again, BY ALL HISTORICAL STANDARDS OF MEASURING, the economy is strong.

And I hope that starting in January after the congress is sworn in that nothing is done to blow it. The pressure is on, democrats. Don't let us down.

Thank you.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Billy and DClary are the political equivalent of Doug and Steve Butabi, the brothers in "A Night at the Roxbury."

Bobbing their heads to the same old song, and high-fiving it to jokes that make no sense to anyone but them.

SCORE!

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:
So when some nut in Europe or anywhere across the globe says "I hate America!" I laugh.

Here's the problem, Billy:

America, as an ideology, is a dream. We dreamed it up, and made it real. But it still only exists as a dream. If that dream falters, we will become something...different. I don't know if it will be a "bad" different or a "good" different, but the overwhelming desire to improve our way of life will be forgotten, and shallow benefits will be all we want.

Now the world opinion thing comes in. I think you know how I feel about outside forces trying to push a country into Democracy. I believe the only way it can work is if there is already a dream of Democracy in place before the actual change happens. It's visionaries who make up the backbone of a young Democracy, not smart people or brave people. If other peoples of the world conclude that America is just another country who happens to be stronger than all the others, I fear they will not be able to dream of something better for themselves, other than a slightly higher position in the pecking order.

It takes a hell of a lot more vision than that to make something as magical as Democracy work. It can happen, but it has to happen from the ground up.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
caren1701 said:

Perhaps they should consider getting jobs, then?

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry we were attacked on 9/11 and decided to fight back. We shoulda just shrugged and said "I guess we deserved that" and hoped it never happened again.

Here's where you're wrong. Very, very few people are complaining about Afganistan. Why? Because we did the right thing there. We went in, kicked Taliban butt (real supporters of Al Qieda), and handed the gov't over to people who actually wanted change.

With Iraq: not so much. Not even close.

I'm not saying that there doesn't need to be some change in the middle east, but we should have been focusing on dismantling terror networks instead of bringing Saddam to justice. Saddam was a small fish doing nothing while Kim over in N. Korea was waving his nuclear arms in the air saying "Hey, guys, lookit me!"

We were fighting in the right place, then we decided that we needed to be fighting in the wrong place. And we stayed there...

Face it, Bush has made a long string of really bad decisions and has done little right.

In Bush's last radio address he warned voters that the Dems would cost them money. His war has cost nearly 3000 soldier's lives and 340 billion dollars.

I'm curious what 340 billion dollars invested into making our country safer would have done.

I don't know if I'd ever want to spend 340 billion dollars to kill 3000 brave soldiers, tens of thousands Iraqis, and to make more people hate us.

340 billion dollars would take a minimum wage earner almost 32 million years to earn.

And the Dems will cost us money by raising a few taxes. Ha!

Reaction score
emeraldcite said:
Here's where you're wrong. Very, very few people are complaining about Afganistan. Why? Because we did the right thing there. We went in, kicked Taliban butt (real supporters of Al Qieda), and handed the gov't over to people who actually wanted change.

With Iraq: not so much. Not even close.

I already addressed all that.

Please reread my post.

Hint: If you support Afgahinstan stop complaining about "oh my god,!!!!!!! more terrorists have been born because of Iraq!!!!!!!"

Thank you.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Just out of interest, how is your housing market doing?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's doing exactly what smart money said it would do. Go check out the price of gold if you want to know where smart money went when the market started peaking.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
great but please stop all the foreign outsourcing - more and more i hear strange accents when i call customer services and more and more people in this country are losing their jobs - unemployment might be down but people are working min wage jobs and thats not a good thing

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Amen to that Aghast. I hate tech and customer support outsourcing. You get what you pay for, and a phone support system that costs 50% less is 200% stupider, or something like that.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
It's just so refreshing to see Bush following Blair for once. We have low unemployment as well - only now 25% of the workforce are employed in government 'manufactured' jobs - it's been going on for years here.

Our economy is doing great as well - 'cept we owe more than we earn.

Housing market - well our boys have bulled that up longer than yours - na na na nana - we are going to crash bigger and better - so there!!!

It's even stevens on the credit front - I think per capita we are about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.